Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Down And Out

Rate this question

MichaelH

Question

I served in the USAF from 82-92. After returning from Desert Storm I started having issues with arrhythmia and was hospitalized. I was in the service during my first episode and my service medical records records the condition. I had not previously encountered the condition that I now take medications for, and will do so for life. The condition has gradualy gotten worse over the years with extended stays in the hospital from time to time. I filed a claim in 94 for disability and was denied based on non-sc. I was told it was a heriditary condition though I am the only one in my family that has it. I did not fully undestand the process and did not file an appeal. However, I have collected my recent medical records and have requested my military records. My question is am I all out of options? Is there any path I can take that will allow me to get this re-reviewed? Just wondering if I am spinning my wheels by pursuing this issue? Thank you for your time.

Edited by MichaelH

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

The VA would have to come up with something pretty interesting to support their rationale on that old decision- however-

the best thing to do is file a re-opened claim-

the entitlement date will not be the old claim-

just the new claim date-for any retro payments-

Were you told the claim was not well grounded when they denied?

Is their anything in your initial service physical to indicate you had this as pre-existing condition?

I bet not at all---

Something is wrong with the past decision-

Can you scan it (cover the personal stuff ) and post it here?

But in any event you can re-open with new evidence.

What is your actual diagnosis for this?

As long as it is noted in the SMRs yourecently requested, you have good basis for service connected claim.In my opinion-I cannot imagine how they could have denied on hereditary basis-

unless this is very rare-

but you have no heredity that reflects this problem. ????????

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Hi

I have Tachycardia that started in Service in 1996 and it was noted in my Service records. I had to open that case up because I am taking Medication for Blood Pressure that is the same for fast heart rate was not acknowledge by VA a (Beta Blocker) which the VA raters Still denied that is for that. I have to take this for the rest of my life. Keep appealing keep the faith I'am not going to accept what they are saying.

Lady Chance

• HadIt.com Elder

Michael:

Welcome to Hadit. You have an excellant chance of being service connected. Do as Berta suggested. Most of us here were turned down by the VA on first go round.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

The VA would have to come up with something pretty interesting to support their rationale on that old decision- however-

the best thing to do is file a re-opened claim-

the entitlement date will not be the old claim-

just the new claim date-for any retro payments-

Were you told the claim was not well grounded when they denied?

Is their anything in your initial service physical to indicate you had this as pre-existing condition?

I bet not at all---

Something is wrong with the past decision-

Can you scan it (cover the personal stuff ) and post it here?

But in any event you can re-open with new evidence.

What is your actual diagnosis for this?

As long as it is noted in the SMRs yourecently requested, you have good basis for service connected claim.In my opinion-I cannot imagine how they could have denied on hereditary basis-

unless this is very rare-

but you have no heredity that reflects this problem. ????????

The condition did not exist upon entering the service and was never detected with the numerous physicals I recieved in my 10 years of service. It only after Desert Storm and I was still active duty when it first surfaced. I do not have the original letter, I have matured somewhat since I filed last, and I keep better records now. I am going to take your advice once I have recieved my military records. What form would I need to use to refile? I can do some research if you dont have that info redilly available. Thank you for your input.

Michael- are you unable to work due to this?

You can order your SMRs on line at http://www.archives.gov/

just click on Military Records and SF 180-

on the SF 180 I suggest that you request all Personnel Records as well as military medical records-

Print out the bar coded thing, sign, copy, and mail to where it says to at the web site.

Since you already filed out the 21-526 for the initial claim I would just send the VARO a letter with your c file # on it telling them you want to re-open this claim and re-state the claim and tell them you have no other known etiology for this condition but for your service and that your medical records will reveal inservice treatment for it..

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you did not have tacycardia before you entered service or until later in service and it is in the medical records then you have a good chance for getting service connection as berta said.

First ypou were considered sound when you went in the service.

It does not matter if the condition is inherited, if it did not manifest in you until service then it is a service connectable disease.

I am also interested about the first denial. I would have to look at it but I think there may even be a cue here. It depends on the evidence they used to deny the claim.

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.