Help With My Husband Claim - VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims Research Forum - VA Disability Claims Community Forums - Jump to content
VA Disability Claims Community Forums -
  • Search VA Disability Claims Information via Veterans

  • fundraise-zeffy-nov-2023.png

  • red-rectangle-thin-bar.png     ASK-YOUR-VA-CLAIM (1).png.    read-the-latest-discussion (1).png     veterans-crisis-line.jpg  


  • Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 22 Guests (See full list)

  • 0

Help With My Husband Claim



I found this site a few weeks ago and have been reading it everday. My husband who is a Ex Marine Vietnam Vet put his first claim in June '06,and still waiting for a C&P exam. Although he has a SO he has not recieved much help, if any from him. My husbands claim is for PTSD,Hernia surgeries, Hearing loss/ringing in the ear,and a injury to his thumb.(He recieved a PH for). I know that I will be back here with other questions,but for now what I would like to know is, does my husband need to write a statement for each of his claims. Something that he needs to bring with him when he goes for each of his C&P exams. I would appreciate any help that you can give us,since we are so lost with all that needs to be done. :blink: Thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • Elder


I always recommend that a veteran fill out a VA Form 21-4138 with their claim outlining particulars of it. This may help the decsion maker find things in the records when it comes time for them to make a decision.

When your husband goes to the C&P exam(s), he should take along his SMR's if he has a copy of them, and any private treatment records of his claimed disabilities from discharge to the present. After the C&P exam, make sure you forward a copy of those private treatment records to your regional office via certified mail with return receipt. DO NOT count on the examiner to forward these records to the VA along with his write-up!

Vike 17

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Elder

Hi Justine:

Welcome to Hadit. SMR's are service medical records. Your husband should ask his SO what is the holdup. Is there any communication between the VA Regional Office and your husband or the Service Rep?

Thank you for helping your husband. If he is unable to work he should apply for Social Security Disability and also ask VA to consider him for 100% TDIU. Its a 100% rating for not being able to work.

If he is still rocking don't quit. The VA will give a rating usually between 30% and 70% for PTSD.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does he have a PTSD diagnosis yet-is he in counseling at a vet center or with a VA shrink?

He needs a nexus to his service of all claimed disabilities.

The reciept of the PH is usually a stressor that VA will concede-

if consistent with combat at time of GSW.

they might want more info- perhaps he should think about getting his stressors down on paper-with places and dates-

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you all for taking the time to help. My husband has been diagnosed with PTSD and has been going to a vet center weekly for counseling. When he put in his claim last June the service rep told him that the VA will provide his SMR's. However since I started reading this site, we decided to send for them ourselves. We did this a couple weeks ago. What my husband did do when he filed his claim back in June was write out his stressors and get his private medical records. These have been sent to his SO. We were just not sure if he had to provide a personal statement for each of his claims. Thank again everyone!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Elder

Your not alone. Hadit will help you no matter what happens.

Good Luck

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.


  • have-question-title-2.jpg

    • Read without registering.
    • Register to Post A Question.
    • Find Answers Fast - Search

    Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title. I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

    Again – Make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

    exclamation-mark-orange-gold.jpg How To Post

    Post a clear title like

    Need help preparing PTSD claim or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery” instead of  ‘I have a question."

    This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?


    Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.

    This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.


  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use