Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help With My Husband Claim

Rate this question

Justme1949

Question

I found this site a few weeks ago and have been reading it everday. My husband who is a Ex Marine Vietnam Vet put his first claim in June '06,and still waiting for a C&P exam. Although he has a SO he has not recieved much help, if any from him. My husbands claim is for PTSD,Hernia surgeries, Hearing loss/ringing in the ear,and a injury to his thumb.(He recieved a PH for). I know that I will be back here with other questions,but for now what I would like to know is, does my husband need to write a statement for each of his claims. Something that he needs to bring with him when he goes for each of his C&P exams. I would appreciate any help that you can give us,since we are so lost with all that needs to be done. :blink: Thank you!

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Justme1949,

I always recommend that a veteran fill out a VA Form 21-4138 with their claim outlining particulars of it. This may help the decsion maker find things in the records when it comes time for them to make a decision.

When your husband goes to the C&P exam(s), he should take along his SMR's if he has a copy of them, and any private treatment records of his claimed disabilities from discharge to the present. After the C&P exam, make sure you forward a copy of those private treatment records to your regional office via certified mail with return receipt. DO NOT count on the examiner to forward these records to the VA along with his write-up!

Vike 17

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Justine:

Welcome to Hadit. SMR's are service medical records. Your husband should ask his SO what is the holdup. Is there any communication between the VA Regional Office and your husband or the Service Rep?

Thank you for helping your husband. If he is unable to work he should apply for Social Security Disability and also ask VA to consider him for 100% TDIU. Its a 100% rating for not being able to work.

If he is still rocking don't quit. The VA will give a rating usually between 30% and 70% for PTSD.

Does he have a PTSD diagnosis yet-is he in counseling at a vet center or with a VA shrink?

He needs a nexus to his service of all claimed disabilities.

The reciept of the PH is usually a stressor that VA will concede-

if consistent with combat at time of GSW.

they might want more info- perhaps he should think about getting his stressors down on paper-with places and dates-

Thank you all for taking the time to help. My husband has been diagnosed with PTSD and has been going to a vet center weekly for counseling. When he put in his claim last June the service rep told him that the VA will provide his SMR's. However since I started reading this site, we decided to send for them ourselves. We did this a couple weeks ago. What my husband did do when he filed his claim back in June was write out his stressors and get his private medical records. These have been sent to his SO. We were just not sure if he had to provide a personal statement for each of his claims. Thank again everyone!

• HadIt.com Elder

Your not alone. Hadit will help you no matter what happens.

Good Luck