Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Do I Claim For Peripheral Neuropathy?

Rate this question

tdak

Question

It was listed in my medical records from my inital claim, but my rep and I never submitted for it. It was the early stages of my claim and I wanted to make sure I was approved before I added anything else as a secondary.

I did have a test for ulnar neuropathy in my left arm and it shows ulnar neuropathy of left arm at the elbow. I have not had any other area tested as of yet. So do I add each area seperatly or can I lump them all together?

Thanks,

Tamara

Have a great day!!!

tdak

"Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. "...Ronald Reagan

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

If this is secondary to a SC condition I would claim it- if you have lower limb PN as well as the upper PN -even though they might not have detected it yet-I would claim that too.

It will take medical evidence but PN is a known complication of DMII and probably other SC disabilities too.You just need the medical link to service or to your already sced conditions.

I would think that PN can be in all extremeties in time.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Guest terrysturgis

tdak my PN is secondary to my DMII. I had an opinion from my private doctor first and submitted it for evidence when I filed for my claim for PN. The C&P consisted of a lot of range of motion testing and the filament test. I am 40% bilaterial lower body and 20% bilaterial upper body.

It sounds like you have the evidence so if I were you I would submit the claim. Take care. Terry Sturgis

Mine is a direct result of a brain stem hump I have from c1 to c2, which was directly caused by my Chiari, which is SC'ed. I have PN as well as loss of use and muscle weakness from head to toe, the PN is also in my buttocks, face, and head. I have permaent irreversable damage from the chiari (herniated cerebellum) being impacted into my spinal cord/brain stem area for many years. It did show on all my medical reports, but they only gave me extra testing on my left arm because it kept going numb. I was tested for diabetes twice, but I came back normal (phew!)

so all I have to do is send in a 21-4138 to have it claimed as a secondary condition, but how would I state it?

Do I have to have them add upper and lower extremities or do I just say entire left side neuropathy or is there something else I put in for with regards to my brainstem being damaged and causing these symptoms, or both?

Have a great day!!!

tdak

"Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. "...Ronald Reagan

• HadIt.com Elder

tdak,

If you have the medical evidence, such as the nerve condution study or EMG, and/or IMO, that shows the relationship from your "brain stem hump I have from c1 to c2, which was directly caused by my Chiari," then by all means submit a claim for it.

You can either write a short letter or fill out the VA Form 21-4138 stating that you are claiming Peripheral Neuropathy of (insert which extremities here) as secondary to your service-connected Chiari. Make sure you be specific to which extremities you're claiming.

Hope this helps!

Vike 17

• HadIt.com Elder

Tdak

If you are claiming a secondary condition it is good to have a medical opinion linking the secondary condition to the primary service connected condition. Don't assume the VA will make that link for you. Have your doctor write the opinion for you and submit it along with your claim. You should get a VCAA letter.

Vike gave good advise. Make sure you tell them what areas of the body your claim is for. If you don't then they will have a hard time trying to decide your claim because they do not know what areas are affected.