Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

P&t Pernanent & Total Disability

Rate this question

Charleese

Question

Hi,

I know that P&T stands for Permanent & Total Disability, but what does this really mean? Do you have to be rated at 100% to get P&T? Do you have to be unemploye to get P&T? Are there certain injuries that you have to have to get P&T. If your 100% do you have to request P&T or do they automatically give it to you?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

• Answers 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Yes and yes-

in 99.9 % of all VA cases.

I always add this point because obviously Max Clelland certainly could have claimed 100% P & T as well as Lewis Puller-

as they could surely have been found unemployable.

But Max Clelland became the secretary of the VA-with

Catastrophic disabilities ---it took him 2 hours to get dressed for work every morning and Lewis- Chesty's son-

with major PTSD and also devastating war wounds -became an attorney for VACO.

Some time ago there was discussion here due to an article at Watchdog on a 100% vet who also was employed full time as a service rep.

I dont recall if he was P & T or 100 % schedular or what his SC was based on.

The article stated how and why he was able to work with 100% SC disabilities.

Both P & T and especially unemployability are dependent on medical evidence and a clear medical statement in which the doc states the vet is unemployable due to their service connected disabilities.

It depends on medical evidence Charleese because each case is often unique.

I think of Steven Hawking sometimes- re this issue-

He isnt a vet, he is one of the foremost scientist of this century.

Confined to a wheelchair and needing constant attendance- he suffers from ALS and is even unable to speak at this point only via a computer on which he develops and explains quantum and universe theory by the movement of his eyes.

He works every day.

Certainly a doctor could deem him as a 100% P & T person-(not a vet) but still-

Dr. Hawking is not unemployable because he does work.

I think he is still paid on a fellowship or something and for articles he does.

It all depends on the specific medical evidence- as to both P & T and also as to unemployability.

The VA makes a statement with 100% awards as to why they did or did not consider P & T in most cases.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

AO -Agent Orange-

all incountry Nam vets and certain Korea vets exposed to AO on the swath area by the DMZ in a specific period of time and in certain Army units (all info on that here under search)

and all Blue Navy Vets (hopefully- depending on how NVLSP makes out in court)

are eligible for an AO exam.(Haas decision- NVLSP is preparing a brief for the court)

If they have an AO presumptive disability the VA will SC them since the nexus (exposure to AO) has been conceeded in the above veterans cases.Except Blue Waters are in limbo as VA challenged the HAas decision)They should still file their claims however.

ANy vet who was exposed to AO and not on presumptive disability list should still raise the issue that their disability is also possibly due to AO.

Since future disabilities due to AO will surely fall under the Nehmer Class Action, this will preserve the EED on the potential AO etiology if the VA denies the claim on any other SC basis and the disability then gets on the AO list.

The list is here under the search feature.

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Hi,

My husband's VA Medical Record states: "IMP: AO joint DJD with subacromical bursitis" for his Left shoulder. However, my hustand was in Korea in Africa for 18 months (Tripoli). Can someone tell why VA would be saying "AO joint DJD with subacromical bursitis".

Thanks!

Charleese,

Are you sure that it doesn't say AC instead of AO? Most references like this are pertaining to the acromioclavicular joint. It could be that the AO stands for Atlanto-occipital but that would seem unusual. Either way, I'm sure that it does not have anything to do with Agent Orange based on the history you have provided.

Edited by theotherguy