Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anxiety

Rate this question

martin

Question

hello everyone,i was wondering if i'm the only one or what? i was diagnosed with ptsd, and anxiety, panic disorder at the V.A. after returning from Iraq in Aug 2005. i started having shortness of breath.( i belive its just a sensation..it sucks) i went to my civilian doc, who couldnt find out why, i was referred to a pulmonologist..same thing..nothing. he did ask if i had been under stress latley? at the time i said yes, i just got back from the sandbox, and was wouded twice. i was then referred to a cardiologist to do a stress test. all was normal. i dont want to go back to see the V.A. psychologist.doesnt do much good. the meds i'm on dont really do anything for my anxiety, and panic disorder.i am going to see a shrink on the civilian side to see what kind of help is available. either counseling, or better medication. i am not as bad off as i was a year ago,(i know i'm not going to drop dead) but still feel bad. has anyone had the same symptoms with these diagnosis, or am i just nutts? i do tend to think something is wrong with me when i have a so called 'panic attack' out of the blue.i am currently service connected 70% for ptsd, and 10% for headches from a minor T.B.I. any suggestions on medication to help these symptoms?...martin

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• Founder

panic attacks and hyper ventilation are common in my experience amongst ptsd veterans, ptsd is an anxiety disorder

i've had this happen to me less now, more earlier on at first i didn't know they were panic attacks and that was very scary which ofcourse increased my panic which made it even worse.

first one i can remember i was in a military hospital er after being discharged about 12 hours earlie for major surgery. they kept telling me to stop hyperventilating and i knew i was doing it and just couldn't stop for the longest time. that really pissed them off, which in turn made it harder for me to stop. it was wieird i didn't really know what was going on other than i might be having a heart attack and no one seemed to notice.

another time i had one driving into san francisco for a job, right on as all the traffic started coming together, no where to go i white knuckled it till i could pull over and then threw up several times.

when i finally started therapy some time later i found out about panic attacks, and that made them a little easier to deal with.

what i find helps is:

a safe place in house if i'm home, atavan, knowing that it is a panic attack and knowing that it will end.

i always have a plan for a panic attack at home or where ever, having a plan seems to help me, always always have my atavan with me, there have been times i've had a panic attack, just because i didn't have my atavan with me and i started to panic that i might panic and oh well you know what i mean.

mine have gotten better, have hope brother many have walked in your shoes

on a side note my therapist and i were talking about the iraqi veterans and the driving issues seems to be a big one, they drive to fast can not even seem to stop themselves driving means danger and instinct kicks in, i just want you to know you are not alone

hang in

Panic attacks can seem like heart attacks to some people and the worse they tend to be the worst they tend to get. In other words, once the panic attack starts the individual now begins to think the panic attack is something more serious (physiologically) like a heart attack; this compounds and leads to an even worse panic attack, which compounds even further.

The best thing you can do is find a safe spot, settle down, convince yourself this is simply a panic issue and try to talk yourself through it while taking deep, slow breaths.

It is a very vicious circle that I have been in , the first time I took a ambulance ride to the hospital, but I am a heart patient so it makes it even worse. I take clonazepam three times a day for it.

And your advice on a safe spot and talk yourself out of it is excellent advice and works.

thanks for the advice. i dont feel so stupid now. OH! 1968 Army VV. i was prescibd trazadone as well. its o.k. to get some sleep, but i am sooooo tired the next day,and lethargic everytime i take it because it stays in your system for awhile.i guess i better let my finger do the walking through the yellow pages after while, and see what help i can get....martin

thanks for the advice. i dont feel so stupid now. OH! 1968 Army VV. i was prescibd trazadone as well. its o.k. to get some sleep, but i am sooooo tired the next day,and lethargic everytime i take it because it stays in your system for awhile.i guess i better let my finger do the walking through the yellow pages after while, and see what help i can get....martin

try taking half, I have the same problem

• HadIt.com Elder

Just a general observation and not intended to pick on anyone. When we talk about prescription meds be sure and know that we are all different and they really do have to design a cocktail. If a comment leads to a discussion with your Doc and you make changes that is a good thing.

To change a dosage or quit taking a med without telling your Doc is a bad thing. There have been cases on this Board where a Vet quit taking medication and ended up in big trouble.

So talk to your Doc and make sure that you are both on the same page before taking action.

• HadIt.com Elder

Martin,

By all means, do as Pete said. We are all different and if you noticed, we are all taking different medicine. Take what your doctor prescribes for you .

Josephine