• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gao Report

Rate this question

Berta

Question

http://vawatchdog.org/07/nf07/nfMAY07/nf053007-3.htm

Larry Scott highlighted this part:

"But, the most compelling piece of information is the paragraph below. Read it carefully...it suggest that it's time for a complete and radical overhaul of the VA disability ratings system." per Larry-

"There is also a need to consider more fundamental reform of the VA disability compensation program, particularly with regard to its disability criteria and field structure. VA eligibility criteria for disability continue to be based primarily on physicians’ and lawyers’ estimates made in 1945 of the effects of service-connected impairments on the average individual’s ability to perform jobs requiring manual or physical labor. Moreover, the program’s eligibility criteria do not sufficiently account for developments in science, medicine, and technology, as well as changes in the nature of work that have occurred in the past 62 years—which potentially affect the extent to which disabilities limit one’s earning capacity."

The last part makes me wonder what the report says about all that- but Fundamental Reform! This is what I dream of----

Thanks to all of you who took the time to write to the Dole /Shalala committee-

I feel they listened to us all.

Gotta get out my Dylan CDs-" the times , they are a comin'"

I foresee a change in our lifetimes.

If they added more lawyers to the BVA-who makes top notch and superior decisions in my opinion-

these days- not at all like it used to be there--

they could eliminate these ROs-or just make the ROs check the basic eligibility requirements and dependency data- etc etc----send it off to the BVA and then it can be handled by someone who is

literate and fully versed in VA case law.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I don't think most future vets -- or lots of present vets, either -- will care for these called-for changes.

Sounds to me that "developments in science, medicine, and technology, as well as changes in the nature of work that have occurred in the past 62 years—which potentially affect the extent to which disabilities limit one’s earning capacity" means (if this way of thinking is applied to VA law changes) that many fewer future vets will get the higher disability ratings or ratings serious enough to be P&T in nature...as well as less vets ever qualifying for TDIU in the future. As if these "advances" are really some kind of miracle drugs or super talk therapy/counseling programs with amazing results over what we have now...they sure as hell are not.

In short, I'm reading "just medicate/counsel vets and reduce their disability ratings because that makes them better."

It's much like we see going on today in the active duty scene where soldiers are medicated/counseled and sent right back out into the combat zone...or get shorted disability-rating-wise IF they are separated/discharged by their particular active-duty branch of service...and ONLY if said service can afford to lose yet another warm body over there to fight in some sorry foreign black-hole country (seeing how the military is so short-handed even though few will admit it).

I don't see how this is a positive change, i.e., something "needed" at the VA...or even allowed to go on NOW with active-duty people.

It's criminal.

-- John D.

http://vawatchdog.org/07/nf07/nfMAY07/nf053007-3.htm

Larry Scott highlighted this part:

"But, the most compelling piece of information is the paragraph below. Read it carefully...it suggest that it's time for a complete and radical overhaul of the VA disability ratings system." per Larry-

"There is also a need to consider more fundamental reform of the VA disability compensation program, particularly with regard to its disability criteria and field structure. VA eligibility criteria for disability continue to be based primarily on physicians’ and lawyers’ estimates made in 1945 of the effects of service-connected impairments on the average individual’s ability to perform jobs requiring manual or physical labor. Moreover, the program’s eligibility criteria do not sufficiently account for developments in science, medicine, and technology, as well as changes in the nature of work that have occurred in the past 62 years—which potentially affect the extent to which disabilities limit one’s earning capacity."

The last part makes me wonder what the report says about all that- but Fundamental Reform! This is what I dream of----

Thanks to all of you who took the time to write to the Dole /Shalala committee-

I feel they listened to us all.

Gotta get out my Dylan CDs-" the times , they are a comin'"

I foresee a change in our lifetimes.

If they added more lawyers to the BVA-who makes top notch and superior decisions in my opinion-

these days- not at all like it used to be there--

they could eliminate these ROs-or just make the ROs check the basic eligibility requirements and dependency data- etc etc----send it off to the BVA and then it can be handled by someone who is

literate and fully versed in VA case law.

Edited by cloudcroft

70% TDIU/P&T

Army - RVN - 1969-70 (10th Cav/4th ID, II Corps RVN)

USCG - Galveston, TX - 1976-78 (USCGC Valiant, WMEC 621)

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta

What that GAO report says could be read more than one way. It seems to say that since there have been so many medical and technical advances they might want to look at how we are compensated. I don't like that since these people are always looking at ways to cut the budget by redefining COLA's and average earnings, etc. After WWII we had an industrial economy. Now we have a service economy. Most industrial workers were unionized while service workers are not unionized. Union workers with basic education got more money than service workers without very marketable skills. I just wonder what they are really up to. I can't believe they want to help us.

Actually, the way I read this is that the VA is now switching gears and going after physically disabled vets. "advancement in medicine" and "changes in work" are basically saying that just because someone loses a leg (or legs) doesn't mean that they suffer in terms of income. Also, there are far fewer "manual labor" jobs in the US (due to cheap oversea's labor), so the majority of work in this country is shifting towards white collar, sit-down labor. In this type of labor force, many of the current high ratings, for physical disabilities, would not apply.

One can be a fine lawyer whilst in a wheelchair....backpain plays little role in clerical work.....so on and so forth.

Personally, I look at this report as more reasoning to LOWER vets, not "fix the system" (unless by fix the system one means less veterans therein).

What should change, fundamentally, is that compensation should include a social component. Service men and women are not allowed to sue the military as a civilian could a privately owned business; thus, the military should pay proper restitution to veterans for things like pain and suffering, loss of consortion, and other social implications. To me, this is the ONLY fair course that can be taken on the part of our military...either that, or give vets back the right to sue their government when their government causes them undo harm.

Edited by Jay Johnson

• HadIt.com Elder

I trust the VA to do what it has always done.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

Funny thing is that the more congress and the VA trumpet the effort to help vets the more they are trying to screw us. It is always about money with these people. You can never take your eye off the ball because someone in government will have a knife in your back. I feel like a piano player in a whorehouse. If you get your 100% check just thank your lucky stars. I don't know how any of us ever did it considering the roadblocks.

This is a fundamental difference in ideology. A large portion of the country believes we should all be working and that disability is for losers. Heck, mitt romney was just giving a stump speech about how any health care plan would lead to a wellfare state. Anytime we give money to people who need money that group of folks cries "wellfare, wellfare!!", yet they are ok with giving billions to corporations who fire Americans and move overseas to make 10 cents more per share on slave labor....all because the DOW goes up by 1.5% as a result.

Once people stop voting against their own interest (at least 95% of us....I'm sure the folks at exxon are voting in their interests), we'll be a MUCH better country...both civilian and veterans alike.

Edited by Jay Johnson