Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Iu Possible?

Rate this question

Cavman

Question

The old fella I helped was granted 90% for hearing loss and 10% for tinnitus which equals 90% disability. He also filed for IU a couple months after filing the 2 claims just awarded. In the award it said the IU issue was deferred and he would hear from them later. If he has 90% hearing loss there is no way anyone will hire him. He has even been turned down by a new Walmart store for a job. Shouldn`t he be able to be awarded IU and is all he can do is wait?

Cavman

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't know if they still do it but you should ask to expedite the 70 year old Veteran's claim to the Tiger Team who for the most part speed up VA processing.

I do know that the VA Pension kicks in at age 65 with nor proof of disability so by that reasoning a Veteran age 65+ would be eligible for IU if not working.

Good Luck and thanks for helping a Vet.

Your Veteran is quite a guy in my book.

Pete

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Pete,

I don't believe he would qualify for IU at ANY age if he wasn't SCed for disabilities that prevent him from working.

He'd just get the pension, which I believe is just over a grand a month...IF, that is, his present monthly income doesn't exceed the limit allowed by the VA and any other income he has is deducted from the maximum monthly pension (1-grand or so as I said) so you have to figure that, too.

In short, on a pension the best he can do is about 1-grand a month: (1) VA pension plus other income or (2) VA pension alone. Don't know about SS he may be getting at retirement age...the VA may deduct that from what they'll pay, too, so in the end, the actual VA pension $$ wouldn't be anywhere near a grand, but his total monthly income would be even if from several sources.

If all that makes sense...

-- John D.

I don't know if they still do it but you should ask to expedite the 70 year old Veteran's claim to the Tiger Team who for the most part speed up VA processing.

I do know that the VA Pension kicks in at age 65 with nor proof of disability so by that reasoning a Veteran age 65+ would be eligible for IU if not working.

Good Luck and thanks for helping a Vet.

Your Veteran is quite a guy in my book.

Pete

Edited by cloudcroft

70% TDIU/P&T

Army - RVN - 1969-70 (10th Cav/4th ID, II Corps RVN)

USCG - Galveston, TX - 1976-78 (USCGC Valiant, WMEC 621)

I am not an expert, but I think that if you can work, then you can work. If you are currently unemployed due to your service-connected conditions, even secondary to service-connected conditions, then it will be easier to be approved for IU. I got a letter from my last boss stating that they moved me from one job to another in order to help me with my disabilities. None of these worked and they had no option but to let me go.

I think what you are asking is if you able to work today, tomorrow you are awarded IU and you can’t work? You can either work or not. That doesn’t make since to me, but I said I am no expert.

• In Memoriam

To get IU, you need medica; evidence that you cannot get or hold a job due to your S/C disabilities. I don't know what kind of job you can hold with your hearing gone, but he audioogist should be able to make this statment with a little bit of explanation. He shold complete the form for IU and list where he has been turned down due to impaired hearing.

Alex

Your right Alex! I forgot he stated that he had been turned down before due to his hearing. Listing these with dates, etc. will be critical in the approval of his claim.

Caveman, FILE HIS IU FORM TODAY along with his evidence. The sooner you get the paperwork into them the more retro you will get.