Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hearing And Tinitus C&p

Rate this question

les

Question

Hello, The DRO ordered c&p for Hearing and Tinitis on 5/7/07. I went to vamc and got my c&p results a week later. The diagnosis is: Mr. Me exhibits mild sloping to moderately severe SNHL begining at 1000Hz in both ears. Medical treatment is unlikely to have any positive affect on patient's hearing. I never had a c&p that did not include something like at least as likely as not service conected etc. I was turned down 3 years ago for sc hearing. Any input will be greatly appreceated. Also it has been 4 weeks since c&p. Anyone know average time frame for my desicion Thank's to all! Les

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Getting 10% for tinitus should not be a problem. I have and still am trying to get SC for hearing loss. Good luck with this. I have had three VA test at Buffalo and my case is in the mix right now. Can take a while to resolve.

Have you established a nexus to your service and is VA aware of it- such as MOS- artillery-

obvious exposure to high noise levels, or

MOS -worked at or near cannon turrets fired aboard ship ,

or exposure to jets firing up or landing on AF base tarmac.

Airstrip repair duties also could have involved use of concrete blasters and other loud equipment.

Your inservice MOS (which often changes from what is on a DD 214)- has to be clearly defined to the VA unless the DD 214 MOS is obvious as to exposure to high levels of noise or you were obviously in combat.

I feel that vets filing for hearing loss due to inservice high levels of noise exposure should be sure to tell the VA if-at time of their service- they were not issued any type of ear plugs or head gear to muffle the sounds.

This case shows what I mean:

The veteran's noise exposure was proven by his MOS

and the audio report shows the extent of loss-

Regardless of the results of audio tests- the inservice nexus has to be established.

http://www.va.gov/vetapp07/files1/0701040.txt

Edited by Berta

In the medical HX: on my c&p report says Pertinent service history includes hazardous noise exposure as a crew member on boats, responsible for painting and removing paint with electric tools/chippers. Also National gaurd exposure to hazzardous noise from cannons and field artillery in the Pa. National guard. As I understand they do not use NG service as SC. I also claimed as Nexis 7 years of removing red lead paint dust ingestion. Which is known to cause hearing loss

I filed a claim for hearing loss in 83 and was denied. Back then the VA just sent you a one page one line letter. I still have it. did not bother with it again until I got service connected for DB2 and the VA wanted me to come in for a hearing test and they have been giving me aids and batteries since then. I don't think I have it SC as yet.

Berta my MOS in RVN was 52B which was power generator mechanic and I worked on the flight line and on 200K diesel engines very noisey. Anyhow when I mustered out I was a high strung 22 year old that wanted to get home and start partying, they wanted me to stay they said another couple of days while they ran more test on my hearing and I said nah and they said well sign this wavier then, so I did.

Stillhere

UPDATE: I received a phone message yesterday from my DAV rep. He said if I had my DRO appeal c&p's give it two weeks to a month and they may have something for me. I had my c&p's finished a month ago today. Perhaps I am getting close to a decision. Man it's been a LONG three years. I wish the best for everyone playing the waiting game!!!!!!!!!!!!! Les

Stilhere- I would not worry about the waiver you signed--they did that alot- get the service person to sign a waiver and then they might have said-you now can never claim this as an SC condition-

It is a crock.

Have you checked your SMRs and discharge cert carefully? They must have expected some hearing problems and noted this if they wanted you to do more tests.

I bet anyone at the VA can relate to why you didnt stick around and got mustered out as fast as you could.

By the way-did the mil supply any issue to you regarding hearing protections?

I bet they didnt and this is a good point to make too to prove inservice MOS caused these problems.