Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Are The Rules When You Are Receiving C & P And

Rate this question

jecsb4

Question

Hi All,

Does anyone know the rules about when you are receiving a high % of compensation for service connected disabilities and still drilling in a reserve military unit? I know that you can't collect both money from the VA and military. My question deals with the fact that if you have a high rating, doesn't the VA expect you to retire your medical career?

My military job is basically just stitting on a chair using a PC all day.

Joe

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I'm in the same boat.i am service connected at 70% due to my Iraq experiences and after researching was advised that if you drill and get paid, the v.a. must be notified. what will happen next is that you will be docked 1 days pay for each drill period. so, if you drill for 2 days, thats a MUBA 4, which equals 4 days military points, therefore thats 4 days pay. when you do your 2 weeks summer camp, you have to call the v.a. and let them know when you'll be doing your A.T. if you make more money on 2 weeks active duty than what the v.a. pays, then of course you'll take the army's money, but you cant double dip.you'll have to defer that months V.A. payment. any double dipping, and they will find out i suppose because i believe the v.a. may go through DFAS. therefore you'll be owing the government, which will reduce your payments until your all payed up. my disability kicked in last month, and i told my unit to let me drill for points only, and no pay. they said.OK! well, after checking my LES. i got paid from DFAS for last drill today. what i have to do now,is put that drill pay in a sepearte savings account, so when asked for the money back,at the end of the fyscal year, i'll have it. call the 1-800 number, and the rep will tell you all about it...Martin

• HadIt.com Elder

If you were collecting a pension instead of compensation, I belive you would have a problem. With the current bit about those with amputations staying on active duty, it's obvious that the military can wave requirements when they choose. I'd also think that pay for two days a month can hardly be considered a substantial position or income.

Hi All,

Does anyone know the rules about when you are receiving a high % of compensation for service connected disabilities and still drilling in a reserve military unit? I know that you can't collect both money from the VA and military. My question deals with the fact that if you have a high rating, doesn't the VA expect you to retire your medical career?

My military job is basically just stitting on a chair using a PC all day.

Joe

If you were collecting a pension instead of compensation, I belive you would have a problem. With the current bit about those with amputations staying on active duty, it's obvious that the military can wave requirements when they choose. I'd also think that pay for two days a month can hardly be considered a substantial position or income.

Money wise it may not seem substantial, but it would not surprise me if they took it as proof that one can work and used it to deny to deny TDIU

Edited by huskerfanfl

Tim

Vet and proud of it

Money wise it may not seem substantial, but it would not surprise me if they took it as proof that one can work and used it to deny to deny TDIU

Yes you are correct. It's almost like they play on your sence of duty because you still want to be in the reserves / Nat Grd. They don't look at how low an inpact my reserve job has on my physical or mental abilities. I have a very unique position with low inpact on my SC issues.

Joe

Only gainful employment will rule-out TDIU...marginal employment will not.

-- John D.

Yes you are correct. It's almost like they play on your sence of duty because you still want to be in the reserves / Nat Grd. They don't look at how low an inpact my reserve job has on my physical or mental abilities. I have a very unique position with low inpact on my SC issues.

Joe

70% TDIU/P&T

Army - RVN - 1969-70 (10th Cav/4th ID, II Corps RVN)

USCG - Galveston, TX - 1976-78 (USCGC Valiant, WMEC 621)