Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Filing For Iu

Rate this question

kris

Question

Im filing the IU form 1-8940 that the VA sent me. I applied for 3 different jobs in the last 6 months even though my doc told me I could not work. I never even went on any interviews. So do I list these jobs I applied for or do I just leave this area blank. My doctor knows I applied and told me to stop being in denial that I will never work again.

Thank you

P.S. I did look for the answer all over the hadit forum first but couldn't find it.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

You can list them but tell the VA if you attach additional page-what the doctor said-

Tell the VA if Voc Rehab ever turned you down due to your SC disabilities and also what the side affects are from your SC meds that could render one unemployable.

Your doctor sounds supportive-would he/she give the VA a short freebee opinion that in his/her medical opinion your SC disabilities make you unemployable?

I think you must be at 70% already for the VA to have sent you the 8940 ???

NO NEED TO GIVE THAT INFO. MAKE SURE TO GET A COPY OF WHAT YOUR DOCTOR SAID. " THAT YOU CAN NO LONGER WORK BECUASE OF YOUR SERVICE CONNECTION ".MAIL IT IN WITH YOUR IU APP. MAKE SURE TO SEND IT CERTIFIED. AND KEEP COPYS. ALSO FILE FOR SSD NOW.

• HadIt.com Elder

Kris:

Do you get Social Security Disability and if not apply for it also. Don't wait to long SSD has a time limit.

Good Luck

thank you for your replies.

I applied for SSD in april and I should have listened to you guys when you told me to apply in Dec or Jan. You were all correct in what you said to me.

I am however confused on the IU thing. What does 70% with IU mean? I am already 50% SC.

thank you

• HadIt.com Elder

Kris,

The IU "thing" is actually prety simple. When the VA pays a veteran 100% due Individual Unemployability, it means that there service-connected disabilities have caused them not to be able to obatain and maintain a gainful occupation, and it allows the VA to pay that veteran at the 100% rate even though they are rated at a lower rate according to the rating schedule.

Vike 17