Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Injury

Rate this question

windy city

Question

I have a veteran friend that two years ago is VA doctor prescribed him a medication called Simvastatin to treat his high cholestarol. One day he recieaved a call from his doctor instructing him to discontinue taking the nmedication because his lab results indicated that the medication was affecting his muscles. Well he was already complainning about chronic pain all over is body and especially his knees making it immpossible to walk. Should he file a cliam for s/c or is there another type of claim he can place. Any help or advice for this veteran will be appreciated.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I think this would be a Section 1151 claim if he still has muscle problems to this day. I take that drug also and it is the VA's drug of choice because it is cheap. It is a good drug but the side effects you describe do happen. What the claim would be is that VA medical treatment caused another injury . It is not malpractice. Berta understands this very well and you might ask her.

I am also wondering if I am having those side effects......................

Betrayed

540% SC Schedular P&T

LOWER YOUR EXPECTATIONS AND THE VA WILL MEET THEM !!!

WEBMASTER BETRAYEDVETERAN.COM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You hit the street, you feel them staring you know they hate you you can feel their eyes a glarin'

Because you're different, because you're free, because you're everything deep down they wish they could be.

My neighbor was in the same boat-sort of and John is right

This might help someone out there-American Indians, possibly African Americans too-and maybe one other group of veterans- usually cannot take Simvastatin- or often any type of statin at all-as they can get side affects from it-

The VA had put down in his VA records that he was a Mideastern Indian- but he is American Cherokee and ended up with so many hips problems that the VA wanted to do surgery on him- he is WWII vet- served in the occupation of Nagasaki.

They immediately withdrew this med for something else- when they finally realised his genetic background prevented him from taking Simvastatin.

Of course he sure did not need hip surgery.

In your case- regardless of why he got side effects the VA did the right thing-they stopped the med- however he should file a claim for secondary disability due to the affects of the SImvastatin-

I hope he has documentation in his med records of when and how the drug affected him and caused him additional disability.

There is info on the web as to how statin drugs can cause serious side affects.

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think the trade name is Zocor. It can cause muscle atrophy. I think the symptoms are pretty dramatic. It is not like you are just out of shape and have some pains. I guess the way to determine if you have problems is to stop taking the drug and see if pain or weakness goes away.

I think the trade name is Zocor. It can cause muscle atrophy. I think the symptoms are pretty dramatic. It is not like you are just out of shape and have some pains. I guess the way to determine if you have problems is to stop taking the drug and see if pain or weakness goes away.

Thanks to all you guys for helping with the information.So what do you think should be the advice I must give my friend about his problem. 1. tell him to file a claim for s/c, 2. a section 1151 or a claim as secondary to side effect to the medication. he will be vary gratefull with the advice giving to him.

Make sure when your file for 1151 that you include all of his lab results from the time he started taking the drug to the time he was instructed to stop taking it. You can look the drug up on line and find out what the gold standard is for checking labs. Make sure the VA followed those standards and attach them to your 1151 claim. I mean if it says blood work should be done monthly or every six weeks, make sure the dates of the labs meet that standard and if they don't make reference to that in your 1151 claim.