Berta

Question

email From Colonel Dan and also Army Times:

Vets blast SHAD study

Survey left out many sailors involved in chemical weapons tests, group says

By Chris Amos - Staff writer

Posted : Thursday Jul 5, 2007 6:29:56 EDT

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2007/07/navy...dtests_070704w/

A group of Navy veterans says that findings from a study of the health effects of at-sea biological and chemical weapons testing on thousands of sailors 40 years ago are flawed because the study ignored those with the highest levels of exposure.

The $3 million study, paid for by the Department of Veterans Affairs but conducted by the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy, took four years to complete. It was commissioned after years of complaints from veterans that the tests made them sick.

The Institute of Medicine is a private organization created by the federal government to perform medical tests.

Findings from a medical records survey and questionnaire mailed to more than 6,000 sailors who were aboard 22 Navy ships and Army tugs during the tests cast doubt on claims that exposure to the tests led to severe medical problems in ensuing years.

The findings, released last month, found that participants had higher death rates from cardiovascular disease and had higher self-reported rates of memory loss, attention problems and neurodegenerative disorders than a group of sailors who did not participate in Project SHAD, or Shipboard Hazard and Defense. But scientists were unable to point to medical links between these problems and the real and simulated chemical and biological weapons used during the tests.

Moreover, since participants also reported higher rates of medically insignificant symptoms such as earlobe pain, scientists questioned whether some of the discrepancies were caused by participants’ belief that something was wrong with them.

But retired Cmdr. John Alderson, who served as a commanding officer of the five Army light tugs — numbered 2080, 2081, 2085, 2086 and 2087 — that were a central part of the tests, said the study was incomplete because it failed to include many of the sailors who served on the tugs, at a test laboratory on Johnston Island — a small island about 700 miles west of Pearl Harbor — and at a base near Pearl Harbor where the weapons were mixed.

The study’s director confirmed Alderson’s claims but said he could not be sure what effect the omission had on the findings because he did not know how many people were excluded or the severity of the illnesses they reported.

“We got as many people on the light tugs as possible from the Defense Department,” study director William Page said. “They didn’t have complete rosters. We would have loved to have included the light tug personnel, but we just couldn’t find [all of] them.”

Alderson estimated that more than 500 sailors served on the tugs during the experiments. Neither he nor Page could say how many were included in the study, but Page admitted that the majority of tug sailors were never contacted.

Extended exposure

John Olsen, who served on the tugs as an electronics technician second class in 1965, said the ships’ 13-man crews — and sometimes three monkeys kept above deck — were exposed to a variety of chemical and biological agents on a daily basis over three-month periods, while sailors on larger Navy ships included in the study had much less frequent levels of exposure, sometimes only once or twice overall, and were exposed to simulated chemical and biological agents.

The IOM report says tug crew members were exposed to a nerve agent, staph bacteria and bacterial agents that could cause rabbit fever and Q fever.

Alderson said tug crew members were exposed to at least four other biological weapons not mentioned in the findings, but he said he could not name them because they are still classified.

A second veteran confirmed Alderson’s account, but asked not to be identified.

Although the tugs’ crews were required to stay inside during the tests, and state-of-the-art paper filters and specially designed air conditioning systems were used to protect the crews, the filters sometimes failed after they were soaked with sea water. Sensors in the boats’ interior spaces periodically detected trace amounts of biological and chemical agents, Olsen said.

After each test, the crews sprayed the tugs’ exterior surfaces with a decontaminant, that, while thought to be safe at the time, has since been found to be toxic, he said.

Another veteran said the study was flawed even among the crews of larger Navy ships such as the destroyer Herbert J. Thomas and the dock landing ship Fort Snelling.

Retired Cmdr. Norm LaChappelle, who served as technical project director for Project SHAD, said the study failed to do aggressive outreach to participants. He also said it did not distinguish between exposures to crew members who were at different places on the ship.

“They didn’t differentiate between whether you were a deck hand or in an engine room,” he said. “If you were on a ship, you were a participant,” he said.

SHAD background

The SHAD tests, which were classified until a few years ago, were conducted between 1962 and 1973 to determine whether Navy crews could be protected from chemical or biological attacks, Navy officials have said. Alderson said he thinks the study had a more nefarious purpose: to determine how effective American chemical and biological weapons could be against enemy navies.

The five tugs were sent to sail in a line formation that could be as long as 100 miles. Two Marine A-4 Skyhawks would then drop substances close to the first ship. Scientists would measure readings on each ship to determine how far weapons clouds would travel before they dispersed to levels that were ineffective.

The larger ships had simulants blown aft from their bows by giant fans or had them dropped from passing aircraft.

But even these simulants, such as E. coli and bacillus globigii, were later found to be toxic.

Participants aboard the light tugs say they had clandestine meetings with officers in San Francisco restaurants, were given hotel suites isolated from other sailors, wore civilian clothes, served on tugs with no Navy markings and were threatened with imprisonment if they talked about the tests with anyone after they were completed.

That is one reason they say it took so long to notice problems, they said.

“Most of my skippers are dead from cancer or respiratory illnesses,” Alderson said, before adding that since no study has been done on illness and mortality rates of the group, he can only offer anecdotal evidence of medical problems caused by the program. But he said that he developed severe allergies within days after the first test. Since then, he said he has suffered from prostate cancer and several skin cancers.

Olsen said he has also had health problems.

“I am one of the few survivors of something called massive malignant hypertension,” Olsen said. “It is extremely rare. For white males, it is 1 in 10 million. My blood pressure went up over 300, top and bottom. I was in my early 40s.”

LaChappelle says he has no health problems that he believes are directly traceable to the experiment, but he says he has received many phone calls from participants who say the project ruined their health.

Bernard Edelman, deputy director for policy and government affairs for the Vietnam Veterans of America, said sailors were given inoculations but that they were not entered on the sailor’s medical records, meaning the sailors don’t know what they received.

“We’re still trying to uncover the facts,” Edelman said. “As Yogi Berra said, ‘It ain’t over ’til it’s over.’”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 12:03 PM

To: Jack Alderson

Subject: Navy Times

I understand the article on SHAD came out this week. I have no idea what it says. I any one can e-mail me a copy it would be appreciated. Jack

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

email From Colonel Dan and also Army Times:

Vets blast SHAD study

Survey left out many sailors involved in chemical weapons tests, group says

By Chris Amos - Staff writer

Posted : Thursday Jul 5, 2007 6:29:56 EDT

http://www.navytimes.com/news/2007/07/navy...dtests_070704w/

A group of Navy veterans says that findings from a study of the health effects of at-sea biological and chemical weapons testing on thousands of sailors 40 years ago are flawed because the study ignored those with the highest levels of exposure.

The $3 million study, paid for by the Department of Veterans Affairs but conducted by the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy, took four years to complete. It was commissioned after years of complaints from veterans that the tests made them sick.

The Institute of Medicine is a private organization created by the federal government to perform medical tests.

Findings from a medical records survey and questionnaire mailed to more than 6,000 sailors who were aboard 22 Navy ships and Army tugs during the tests cast doubt on claims that exposure to the tests led to severe medical problems in ensuing years.

The findings, released last month, found that participants had higher death rates from cardiovascular disease and had higher self-reported rates of memory loss, attention problems and neurodegenerative disorders than a group of sailors who did not participate in Project SHAD, or Shipboard Hazard and Defense. But scientists were unable to point to medical links between these problems and the real and simulated chemical and biological weapons used during the tests.

Moreover, since participants also reported higher rates of medically insignificant symptoms such as earlobe pain, scientists questioned whether some of the discrepancies were caused by participants' belief that something was wrong with them.

But retired Cmdr. John Alderson, who served as a commanding officer of the five Army light tugs — numbered 2080, 2081, 2085, 2086 and 2087 — that were a central part of the tests, said the study was incomplete because it failed to include many of the sailors who served on the tugs, at a test laboratory on Johnston Island — a small island about 700 miles west of Pearl Harbor — and at a base near Pearl Harbor where the weapons were mixed.

The study's director confirmed Alderson's claims but said he could not be sure what effect the omission had on the findings because he did not know how many people were excluded or the severity of the illnesses they reported.

"We got as many people on the light tugs as possible from the Defense Department," study director William Page said. "They didn't have complete rosters. We would have loved to have included the light tug personnel, but we just couldn't find [all of] them."

Alderson estimated that more than 500 sailors served on the tugs during the experiments. Neither he nor Page could say how many were included in the study, but Page admitted that the majority of tug sailors were never contacted.

Extended exposure

John Olsen, who served on the tugs as an electronics technician second class in 1965, said the ships' 13-man crews — and sometimes three monkeys kept above deck — were exposed to a variety of chemical and biological agents on a daily basis over three-month periods, while sailors on larger Navy ships included in the study had much less frequent levels of exposure, sometimes only once or twice overall, and were exposed to simulated chemical and biological agents.

The IOM report says tug crew members were exposed to a nerve agent, staph bacteria and bacterial agents that could cause rabbit fever and Q fever.

Alderson said tug crew members were exposed to at least four other biological weapons not mentioned in the findings, but he said he could not name them because they are still classified.

A second veteran confirmed Alderson's account, but asked not to be identified.

Although the tugs' crews were required to stay inside during the tests, and state-of-the-art paper filters and specially designed air conditioning systems were used to protect the crews, the filters sometimes failed after they were soaked with sea water. Sensors in the boats' interior spaces periodically detected trace amounts of biological and chemical agents, Olsen said.

After each test, the crews sprayed the tugs' exterior surfaces with a decontaminant, that, while thought to be safe at the time, has since been found to be toxic, he said.

Another veteran said the study was flawed even among the crews of larger Navy ships such as the destroyer Herbert J. Thomas and the dock landing ship Fort Snelling.

Retired Cmdr. Norm LaChappelle, who served as technical project director for Project SHAD, said the study failed to do aggressive outreach to participants. He also said it did not distinguish between exposures to crew members who were at different places on the ship.

"They didn't differentiate between whether you were a deck hand or in an engine room," he said. "If you were on a ship, you were a participant," he said.

SHAD background

The SHAD tests, which were classified until a few years ago, were conducted between 1962 and 1973 to determine whether Navy crews could be protected from chemical or biological attacks, Navy officials have said. Alderson said he thinks the study had a more nefarious purpose: to determine how effective American chemical and biological weapons could be against enemy navies.

The five tugs were sent to sail in a line formation that could be as long as 100 miles. Two Marine A-4 Skyhawks would then drop substances close to the first ship. Scientists would measure readings on each ship to determine how far weapons clouds would travel before they dispersed to levels that were ineffective.

The larger ships had simulants blown aft from their bows by giant fans or had them dropped from passing aircraft.

But even these simulants, such as E. coli and bacillus globigii, were later found to be toxic.

Participants aboard the light tugs say they had clandestine meetings with officers in San Francisco restaurants, were given hotel suites isolated from other sailors, wore civilian clothes, served on tugs with no Navy markings and were threatened with imprisonment if they talked about the tests with anyone after they were completed.

That is one reason they say it took so long to notice problems, they said.

"Most of my skippers are dead from cancer or respiratory illnesses," Alderson said, before adding that since no study has been done on illness and mortality rates of the group, he can only offer anecdotal evidence of medical problems caused by the program. But he said that he developed severe allergies within days after the first test. Since then, he said he has suffered from prostate cancer and several skin cancers.

Olsen said he has also had health problems.

"I am one of the few survivors of something called massive malignant hypertension," Olsen said. "It is extremely rare. For white males, it is 1 in 10 million. My blood pressure went up over 300, top and bottom. I was in my early 40s."

LaChappelle says he has no health problems that he believes are directly traceable to the experiment, but he says he has received many phone calls from participants who say the project ruined their health.

Bernard Edelman, deputy director for policy and government affairs for the Vietnam Veterans of America, said sailors were given inoculations but that they were not entered on the sailor's medical records, meaning the sailors don't know what they received.

"We're still trying to uncover the facts," Edelman said. "As Yogi Berra said, 'It ain't over 'til it's over.'"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 12:03 PM

To: Jack Alderson

Subject: Navy Times

I understand the article on SHAD came out this week. I have no idea what it says. I any one can e-mail me a copy it would be appreciated. Jack

We had a Project 112/SHAD reunion in Seattle in 2004. During that reunion we did a survey about medical problems. The guys were told it would be confidential and only the totals would be offered to the IOM study. I sent Dr. Page the totals. Dr. Page attended the reunion and heard testimony from several of the vets. You would think that in meeting some of the vets face to face and seeing the medical problems that they had reg. he would have had part of his heart and mind open to other ideas but what he was told to write about. He supposedly interviewed several vets. Those vets were mostly officers. Now do you think they would be trying to cover their tails?

Would you blame him? He gets his pay from the government. Now why would he go against the government and play fair?

This is my humble opinion of the IOM study.

God bless

Bonnie Richards

www.projectshad.com

www.silverrose.info

Freedom isn't FREE

Thank you veteran and welcome home.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,

Jesus Christ and the American G. I.

One died for your soul;

The other for your freedom.

Berta I sent this to the VVA and CDR Alderson

Sir, Why is DR William Pages name involved in every shady long term health study the Department of Defense in the past 20 years. All of the studies that I am aware of his involvement in have resulted in no long term health problems being found that have caused damage to the veterans or have very limited ramifications. He has found problems that no other medical studies on the same subject has ever found? He ignores previous health studies on narrowly focused subjects like chemical weapon exposure or drugs.

He even ignores the Veterans Administrations own health initiative documents, he seems to be an amazing man. His studies always seem to remain within the DOD constraints of the contracts, yet the veterans never are found to be harmed by known chemical weapons, drugs, and other hazardous substances, how is this possible?

I know he has worked with the nations experts on chemical weapons research DR Frederick Siddell and DR Van Sim, should he really be the person that would be doing an evaluation on the damage caused by their experiments from more than 30 years ago? He is more than just an innocent 3rd party.

I have 2 studies from SIPRI and the NIH that show the March 2003 Sarin report was far from a complete long term health study on medical problems caused by chemical weapons exposure, there are two major problems with his study that was used to deny GW1 veterans compensation, they ignored the mustard agents present at Kamisayah Iraq in March 1991 and they ignored the complete medical problems caused by Sarin exposure.

I am in a unique position I am a Gulf War veteran and I am also a veteran of the human experimentation the IOM used as the control group, I am veteran 6778A of the Edgewood Arsenal experiments from 1955 thru 1975.

http://www.ehponline.org/members/1994/102-1/munro-full.html Jan 1994 NIH chemical weapon study

http://www1.va.gov/vhi/docs/CBR_www.pdf Oct 2003 VA Health Manual Edgewood experiments are covered on pages 16-24

http://www.iom.edu/Object.File/Master/5/844/0.pdf March 2003 Sarin report

http://www.sipri.org/contents/cbwarfare/Pu.../cw-delayed.pdf pages 40 and 45 show the long term health problems from low level chemical weapon exposure. The March 2003 IOM study by DR Page found none of the problems that either this study or the NIH Jan 1994 study found why? Why did he and DOD ignore these 2 previous works that both showed identical results 20 years apart?

Mike Bailey

Mr. Bailey:

There are a NUMBER of reasons why the IOM "study" is inadequate.

I have met Dr. Page in person at the above-mentioned Project SHAD reunion in Seattle. It was my opinion at the time that he was UNPREPARED to actually face real, genuine Veterans and their problems. The only "good" thing about the "study" is that it is inconclusive in denying any connection for physical illnesses regarding Project SHAD/112 exposures.

Here's what I uncovered...

The VA-DoD REFUSE to consult with the families/survivors of Project SHAD/112 who have died in the last three decades. The "reason"...???

They tell me that it would "upset" those folks to hear from a government agency regarding their loved ones' demise. What they MEAN is that they don't want to invite the copious lawsuits that would derive from revealing the TRUTH.

By means of an FOIA REQUEST via Montana Congressman Denny Rehberg, I was told in early 2006 that there had been roughly 700 VA Disability Claims initiated since 2000 and the bulk of them had been refused. Of those which were adjudicated positively, only 28 Veterans had been awarded Service Connected Disability status for a combined 39 ailments. Of those, only FIVE were adjudicated at or above 70%. As the casual observer can deduce, these claims are still being effectively stone walled and it DOES appear that the DoD-VA are simply awaiting the demise of the remainder of the participants to "seal" the matter for once and for all.

This is, of course, UNACCEPTABLE behavior.

As far as I know, I am one of only THREE Project SHAD/112 Veterans who have been awarded Service Connected Disability status at 100%. My award was the result of five years of tooth and nail battle with the respective parties AND the assistance of the staffs of both a U.S. Congressman AND a U.S. Senator. The process very nearly killed me. I experienced FIVE heart operations between May, 2002 and July 2003. After numerous rejections by the Montana VARO, I was able to secure an IN PERSON hearing by a traveling Board of Veterans Appeals Judge. I requested said hearing in October, 2004... had the hearing in July, 2005, and was PARTIALLY adjudicated in January, 2006.

I say "partially" because that is the actual status of my claim, which the VA is STILL screwing around with. I was awarded the 100% on the basis of PTSD resulting from Project SHAD. The remaining 28 physical ailments were denied. That's right, TWENTY-EIGHT...!!!

I have since learned that some of those "ailments" fall categorically into what would be termed "syndromes". I am awaiting a "final" decision on my claim so that I can re-apply with the knowledge I have garnered in my search for the TRUTH. This is NOT my "first" claim with the VA. My original SHAD claim was in 1971. I was similarly denied any physical disability status, but adjudicated "depressed" at 30% [PTSD did not even "exist" as a diagnosis at that time] and then subsequently reduced to "0% Service Connected"...which status remained unchanged until 2001, when I began to pursue matters again.

So, it has actually been THIRTY-FIVE YEARS since I began the VA Disability Process regarding my illnesses stemming from Project SHAD, but I STILL am not "finished".

:D

In addition to the ailments I have suffered, my only daughter died in 1980 from what I can only surmise were severe birth defects stemming from my SHAD involvement.

I participated in Project SHAD in 1969, aboard the USS Granville S. Hall, YAG-40. It was the main "lab ship" for the at-sea tests from 1962 until 1970. To complicate matters, that ship also was involved in the Smithsonian's "Pacific Ocean Biological Survey Program" and had previously been utilized in numerous above ground nuclear blasts to collect radioactive fallout for the 10 years preceeding Project SHAD.

~~~~~~~

In MY estimation, there are two main reasons that the IOM "study" has gone poorly:

1. Cmdr Jack Alderson of Tug Boat fame has wrangled a position with the VVA whereby he "heads the research effort". While he no doubt has some valuable information stored away in his heart and mind, he was only in charge of said Tug Boats for a few short years and has NO direct knowledge of their activities after his departure in about 1965. Whoever ran the Tug Boat operations after him has NOT been heard from. The main "problem" with his "testimony" is that he has repeatedly made erroneous and conflicting statements to the Acadamy of Medicine and the IOM regarding Project SHAD and in particular, the USS Granville S. Hall. The PROBLEM is that Jack Alderson never even set foot on the "Granny" and in no way imaginable could he have any intimate knowledge of the circumstances regarding that ship...particularly in the five years AFTER he was involved in Project SHAD. He had made repeated statements that are detrimental to Granny Sailors' VA claims for no good reason other than his own excessively large EGO. While he's "calmed down" along those lines, the DAMAGE has already been done and he's made no visible effort whatsoever to retract his lies and distortions.

2. The IOM study was overly broad and made NO effort to break down illnesses by specific locations of the Tests or Experiments nor individual time frames or exposure levels. This, combined with their unwillingness to look at actual DEATHS which were potentially caused by said exposures, pretty much negates any "useful" results from the git-go. Absolutely NO credence was given to the cross-contamination issues regarding the USS Granville S. Hall or its sister ship, the USS George Eastman, YAG-39.

The deaths of the participants is of course a very significant factor that any reasonable person would consider if they intended to do a REAL scientific study of the aftermath of such shenanigans.

That's why there's such a discrepancy between the number of actual participants, those notified of the tests, and those who participated in the IOM Survey. Dead men don't talk.

~~~~~~~~~

I have posted much information on Project SHAD/112 at:

http://www.freedominion.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14556

and, more general information at:

http://www.freedominion.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14573

There is also a slew of useful data on Agent Orange, Gulf War Syndrome, Depleted Uranium Munitions, PTSD, Brain Injury, and Mind Control Experiments at:

http://www.freedominion.ca/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=55

Thank you.

Bonnie and JB THANKS for bringing SHAD again to the forefront here-

SHAD Shipboard Hazard and Defense.

Bonnie's site is Excellent and the whole 9 yards is there as to the ships in the various tests etc.

I recall talking to Alex Humphrey years ago and I said Alex Shad is AO ---dejavu all over again

and he agreed-

The list of the ships involved (and of course there was ground-shore support)

is only the list they told us all about-

PTSD due to SHAD ummmmmmmm - one way to go--------

but if the vet gets this type of SC for SHAD and they died at 100% before ten years are up-no SHAD DIC or any form of DIC for their families-

And they still have physical disability(ies) that is due to SHAD -----

that could ultimately cause their demise-

J. B. -did you have an independent medical opinion on this or did you just keep hammering a way at them until they gave up and SCed you for SHAD PTSD?

We need more SVR shows on SHAD-

just found this site-never saw it before:

http://www.shadvets.net/

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.