Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Wife Recieved Her Ssdi

Rate this question

Leo

Question

Early this year I wrote to this forum about my wife (Ret AF Officer) that was given 100% unemployable (back to Sep 04)by the VA in Nov 06. In April 2007 we filed for SSDI disability, in addition to the VA compensation rating letter, a Neuropsychological Testing Report, and a letter for her Psychiatrist (that has treated her for 3 years)we submit all the papers and signed the medical release papers.

Last Friday (6 Jul 07) Social Security approved her SSDI back to Mar 2006.

I truly believe that one of the reasons her request when through the first time was because of the letters and documents we submitted in April 07. These documents clearly described her disability and probably made the review process easier, when searching the medical records and documents.

I realize it doesn't go this smoothly for alot of Vets, I just want to thank those that wrote gave suggestions and remarks. Your support and prayers where most helpful.

Ret AF Couple

Can anyone suggest a website or someone who is knowledge about doing Tax Amendments because of the change in my wifes SC rating going from 70% to 100% all the way back to Oct 2004?

Thanks Again

Leo & Awie

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Congrats to your wife for getting her Social Security! Sounds like ya'll did a wonderful job of presenting her medical problems!

Sorry, can't help on the tax question....but I'm sure someone will jump right on it!

Good news helps my day!!!! B) Congrats!!!!

Gwen

• HadIt.com Elder

Leo:

Well done and I think that you are right. Please remember T-Bird when you get the check.

Pete

• HadIt.com Elder

All I can tell you is what I would do.

First, once the payments are decided, you need to get a letter from SSA showing the disability award, and the fact that amounts already paid as SS pension were deducted from the award. The letter should state that the amounts deducted are not taxable, since they become part of the disability payment. If necessary, revised tax returns can be filed for up to three years. Unless the gov opens older ones (Usually only happens if the IRS thinks they have a fraud case). There may be other exceptions to the 3 year rule, I just don't know about them.

Without the SSA letter, it's possible to go ahead, using a note explaining the situation. This may or may not toggle some sort of IRS action. The biggest problem to me is not so much the federal IRS, but the state IRS. They may not really want to understand the situation.

In my local area, we have a good federal IRS office. They have never failed to help me when I needed help, and even saved me money a time ot two. One was a waiver of penalty for withdrawing an IRA. (That's no longer an issue for me, due to age, and there are other exceptions for this or that withdrawal reason that didn't used to be there.)

Early this year I wrote to this forum about my wife (Ret AF Officer) that was given 100% unemployable (back to Sep 04)by the VA in Nov 06. In April 2007 we filed for SSDI disability, in addition to the VA compensation rating letter, a Neuropsychological Testing Report, and a letter for her Psychiatrist (that has treated her for 3 years)we submit all the papers and signed the medical release papers.

Last Friday (6 Jul 07) Social Security approved her SSDI back to Mar 2006.

I truly believe that one of the reasons her request when through the first time was because of the letters and documents we submitted in April 07. These documents clearly described her disability and probably made the review process easier, when searching the medical records and documents.

I realize it doesn't go this smoothly for alot of Vets, I just want to thank those that wrote gave suggestions and remarks. Your support and prayers where most helpful.

Ret AF Couple

Can anyone suggest a website or someone who is knowledge about doing Tax Amendments because of the change in my wifes SC rating going from 70% to 100% all the way back to Oct 2004?

Thanks Again

Leo & Awie