Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What's The Rush?

Rate this question

Donio

Question

I have had a claim in since 2001. I recieved an increase of 20% in 2003. My appeal was remanded to the regonial office then taken over by AMC. I recieved a letter from the Regonial office last month to go to a C&P and it also stated that it would have to be a family emergency to reschedual because there was very limited time to complete the C&P and finish my claim. WTH is this all about? I have had my paper work in for 6 years and now they want me to rush around for them? Does this mean they will hurry up and finish my claim? I went to the C&P July 3rd. and haven't heard anything yet. ;)

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

First - A guy at the VFW help me with the paper work. He never told me what you just said about being rated the same.

Second - I do have a stressor. I also contacted a friend, who is one of four I've tried to find, and he sent a letter verifing what we experienced in vietnam.

Third - The contract Dr. the VA sent me to confirmed I suffered from PTSD.

Forth - I was changed to major depression but not PTSD.

Fifth - Yes I knew about paranoia and nervous condition but didn't know why my temper was hard to control, why I was antisocial, depression.

Sixth - There was only the visits for rating every 2 or 3 years. Was not refered to a shrink to talk about what was going on. They showed I was getting better by the reduced ratings.

I'm not a total dumb ass. I sought help with the claim and this is what I got. It may look to you like I'm a fraud looking for money but I did serve in nam the same time a my brother who was in the Army up north by Phu Bai and he knows I'm not the same.

Donio,

I know that the whole situation has you upset, but people are trying to gather information to help you. Vike is right, if you continued to work, what is the VA supposed to do. You did not give them the ammunition to give you an increase because you did not seek treatment. If you wait for them to offer treatment you will be in for a long wait. Call the nearest VA clinic and tell them you need treatment. If you have had suicidal thoughts, which you obviously have, they will get you in there just as quick as they can, and when you are screened, they will offer you the treatment in the form of medicine and therapy. If they don't offer, then ask.

Nobody is saying that you are a fraud, but you need to set yourself up for success.

Think of it like this, when you apply for a job (compensation or increase in compensation), you need to have expereince (record of treatment) for that position. If you do not have the experience, you are not going to get the job, just an interview (a C&P examination), and if you are offered a job, it will be an entry level job making less money (a reduction in benefits).

Edited by huskerfanfl

no one here thinks you're a dumb ass or fraud. the people here will only try to help you. they first need to understand what your rating was, what your rating is, and then try to help you fix it if possible.

no one doubts your service or where you served. people here are on your side and don't try to offend.

there are some very, very smart people here (not me).

I know people here are trying to help. The statement "ask for help and this is what I got" concerned the VFW not people on this site. I'm not sure everyone noticed but I spent 4 or 5 months on a psyic ward. It's no more than a jail except a wide open area instead of individual cells and heavy wire screens on the inside. This was just before discharge. They had shrinks talk to me but even with that in my record they never set up appointments to talk to anyone after I got out so I had no idea what was going in my head. I wasn't real sure if anything was wrong. I have been seeing a shrink at a VA hospital for the past 4 years. But because of being locked up for 4 or 5 months it's very hard just to walk into the doors of the hospital.

The fraud statement was pretty course but the last paragraph in vikings post put me on edge which isn't hard to do.

I'm sorry to all on here for my last post. My anger towards the VA seems to spill over on everyone I come into contact with.

• HadIt.com Elder

Don,

I receieved your PM. There's no need to apologize, I was trying to explain your situation as to why the VA has done the things they have.

The pursuit of the PTSD claim, as I said before, is actually a moot point for rating purposes. By claiming it, you probably put yourself through more stress then what was needed. All mental disorders are rated according to the same criteria. Maybe getting the diagnosis of PTSD was what you needed to get the right help medically, but as far as VA compensation is concerned, it doesn't matter since you are already rated for one mental disability.

"There was only the visits for rating every 2 or 3 years. Was not refered to a shrink to talk about what was going on. They showed I was getting better by the reduced ratings."

The C&P exams are only there to evaluate your condition as how it is doing currently. You will not receive medical treatment or referrals during these exams. The C&P is for rating puposes by the Regional Office. If you ned medical help, you need to go to the VAMC. Since you were working and weren't receiving continued therapy and treatment, this is probably why they had to reduce your evaluation. The C&P examiner didn't have anything to go from except how you were doing on that particular day of the exam.

Also I never said or even hinted that you were a "fraud." Like I said, I was just trying to explain why things have transpired as they have. From tyhe looks of things you really don't have anything to be angry at the VA for. Maybe you should re-direct the fire towards your SO?

Vike 17

Yes I see what you mean. My main anger is towards the VFW guy who told me to file for PTSD. I just wish the VA had recomended seeing someone at my first C&P then I might not have cotemplated suicide or gone through a divorce. I recieved treatment in the service so why not after discharge, but no they only did C&Ps.

I am recieveing treatment now and have been for the last 4 years or so. I unstand why they didn't keep me at 100%, but as I told the shrink at the C&Ps, things haddn't seemed to change. Seems like that would have been a red flag for treatment.

Thanks for all yours and everyones input. If only this site had been around YEARS ago.