Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Unemployability With Less Than 50%

Rate this question

3 years to retire

Question

Just to update, I applied thru the dav for TDIU in August. I am 40% with the VA (left knee is 30% rt knee is 10%) I also work for the USPS and am a letter carrier. I am approved under owcp with the right knee and cannot perform duties as a letter carrier. I am currently working under a limited duty job offer. Even under limited duty my knees hurt like hell. Can hardly walk at the end of the day. There are no desk jobs for letter carriers in the USPS and to be honest they want to dump me anyway since I no longer can carry mail and am not productive. I am almost 55 years old with 28 years in civil service retirement in Nov of this year. Under the OPM guidelines I can apply and should get an approval for disability retirement but cannot afford it without the va TDIU (I have a family.) I just hand carried all of my owcp doctor documentation yesterday (sept 8th) on my left knee and gave it to the dav personnel in the va hospital to help my claim. So now I wait for the Va. Any suggestions...or comments .... feel free. I will update as I hear from the va. Thanks....

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

:lol: I had a severe GI bleed, I'm a rural carrier, causing a watershed effect of the cervical cord, like a stroke, and my doctors refuse to sign my release to return to work. I've been off since 10-04-04 and just now got SSDI which you have to apply for when applying for disability retirement.. I got word that my disability retirement will be effective 8-01-05 but haven't heard a word since.  I've also filed a 1151 claim as my bleed was caused by naproxen which was prescribed by the VAMC.  I had a c&p exam on 8-10-05 and am checking the  mail everyday hoping to hear from them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mike, I hate to hear that. Im in ths same boat, I last worked 7-28-05. Do you know why the docs will not sign off allowing you to return to work, are they afraid that the repair of the bleed will fail? Did the VA give you the result of the C and P.

Call the 800 number and ask them what is going on. This looks like a textbook case for tdiu. I hope it goes well. keep us posted.

I applied for TDIU when I was 30%. I started having problems with my S/C Knee and back. RO Columbia SC didn't even take the time to develop my case. They sent it to the BVA and i got a call from the BVA saying they were going to develop my case. Then the DVA filed that lawsuit for BVA not to develop claims. My claim was then sent to the Appeals Management Center for development who then remanded it back to Columbia for them to do the job they should have done in the begining. I.m now 60% and still waiting. My claim was recently sent back to the BVA. I was considered disabled by the SSA in Jan. 2000. What i've mostly had to deal with from the RO is the way they play with words and sending SOC's with evidence omitted.

Hopefully you won't have to go through what me and countless others have had to suffer through.

Good Luck and God Bless.

WAYNE (TAZ) :lol:

• HadIt.com Elder

Wayne, I see you have a high opinion of 1801 assembly street yourself. the only thing I keep tellin g my wife is the back pay will be a nice sized check after the three years already. They refuse to work up some of the issues, refuse to address evidence that is in the C File, ignore cardiologist statemenets refuted by a quack on C&P Office at Dorn, saying he is more experienced. I wouldn't let that guy change a band aid.

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

I’m 60% SC for ruptured sphincter muscle ;) and 50% SC for mood disorder :lol: with a combined of 90%, I’m currently working but, having a difficult time, I want to put in for IU but I’m afraid to quit my job, I need my income with a family of 8, any suggestions? I’m willing to listen.

Thanks,

Allison

I went to the Va for my C&P last Sat. (Oct 22) for my two knees. I guess I will now wait till I hear what they have to say. The Doc. really put me thru it. My two knees are still hurting. I am not sure how it will come out. I am hoping that they upgrade my left knee to 40% so I can take the next step for unemployability. If they grant it then I feel that my next step would be easier. Anyway, either way it goes I plan on still applying for it in the next two years. Will update as information comes in.

• HadIt.com Elder

3 Years

If you can get disability retirement and 100% from VA I would sure aim for that. It is much more than you will ever make at the post office. I got OPM, SSA and 100% from VA and I make much more than when I worked for those %$### at the USPS.