Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ship's Location

Rate this question

68mustang

Question

Berta I noticed that you researched a ship's location for someone. Is there a website where I can checked where a ship was located during a certain time frame? Thanks. 68mustang

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• In Memoriam

The way that I have researched location is through the Ships logs. If there was a significant event (deaths during operations, etc.) ships logs will give the Longitude and Latitude. Ships logs will also tell in-port dates for locations at those times. Other ships locations are deliberately obscure.

You can also request the Ships Chronology and Ships Statistics. Some of these have ship locations. These Chronologies also have other ships with the task force for the cruise and fuels that the ship used recorded.

My Congressman sent request, for ships logs, to Doris Lama @ FOIA. Both of my cruise logs were sent to me. Unreps (ships replenishment) involve other ships and can be researched through their ships logs. Deaths of servicemen can also include locations in the Virtual Wall.

Here is an example. This is one of my buddy that died during operations.

http://www.virtualwall.org/ds/StewartWS01a.htm

Stretch

Just readin the mail

Excerpt from the 'Declaration of Independence'

We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity

The way that I have researched location is through the Ships logs. If there was a significant event (deaths during operations, etc.) ships logs will give the Longitude and Latitude. Ships logs will also tell in-port dates for locations at those times. Other ships locations are deliberately obscure.

You can also request the Ships Chronology and Ships Statistics. Some of these have ship locations. These Chronologies also have other ships with the task force for the cruise and fuels that the ship used recorded.

My Congressman sent request, for ships logs, to Doris Lama @ FOIA. Both of my cruise logs were sent to me. Unreps (ships replenishment) involve other ships and can be researched through their ships logs. Deaths of servicemen can also include locations in the Virtual Wall.

Here is an example. This is one of my buddy that died during operations.

http://www.virtualwall.org/ds/StewartWS01a.htm

Thank you for the info. Sorry about your buddy. I was never in Vietnam, but I lost a lot of friends in the Vietnam War. 68mustang

That was GREAT advise-

I often just google a ship's name and look for their Home Page-

Many ships have Home Pages as well as historys of the ships -battle history, or other operations, all of their awards etc-

and if the Home Page has reunion info-often this is a good way to find a buddy if one needs a buddy statement.

Our guest tonight at SVR broadcast-Mike Harris-sent me some excellent info on getting ships logs years ago-

It might be in an old PC around here but I will look for it-

a claim here or on another site years ago involved being aboard ship in a severe typhoon.

The weather reports of the time and the ships Long/latitude helped the vet prove this as a stressor.

The claim was remanded so I dont know how they made out with an actual award.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

That was GREAT advise-

I often just google a ship's name and look for their Home Page-

Many ships have Home Pages as well as historys of the ships -battle history, or other operations, all of their awards etc-

and if the Home Page has reunion info-often this is a good way to find a buddy if one needs a buddy statement.

Our guest tonight at SVR broadcast-Mike Harris-sent me some excellent info on getting ships logs years ago-

It might be in an old PC around here but I will look for it-

a claim here or on another site years ago involved being aboard ship in a severe typhoon.

The weather reports of the time and the ships Long/latitude helped the vet prove this as a stressor.

The claim was remanded so I dont know how they made out with an actual award.

Berta thank you for your response. You mentioned that a vet proved a stressor by weather reports and the ships long/latitude. I was in the Navy as a Boiler Technician apprentice and worked in the boileroom. It was a life changing experience that I could not wait to get out of. Having to work in confined spaces such as the boiler steam drum and furnace box gave me claustrophobia. I had no choice but to put up with the work situation afraid that if I complained things could get worse for me. I finally got out of that job and to this day I still have nightmares about working as a Boiler Technician. Finding out that the asbestos we worked with,the living compartments we lived in and the dining areas we ate in were infested with asbestos has only made matters worse. The ship that I served on was built during the WWII time frame, when asbestos were used as insulation. On one of my previous post I mentioned that I was diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis. My job history prior to and after military service were jobs that did not subject me to asbestos exposure. I am going to get another IMO and refile my asbestos exposure claim. I also take anti-anxiety pills as needed for anxiety. I am thinking about adding a claim for anxiety associated with working in the boileroom and asbestos exposure. Do you have any input as to whether I should classified it as PTSD even though it has been so many years after my enlistment ended? Thanks. 68mustang

You would need clear proof -as a nexus- that you had anxiety in service due to the confines of the job.That might be very difficult to prove and might involve buddy statements etc- still -unless this was noted in your SMRs it will be difficult to prove.

If the SMRs do reveal you suffered from claustrophobia or even made attempts to get change of MOS- that would help a claim like this.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Berta thank you for your response. You mentioned that a vet proved a stressor by weather reports and the ships long/latitude. I was in the Navy as a Boiler Technician apprentice and worked in the boileroom. It was a life changing experience that I could not wait to get out of. Having to work in confined spaces such as the boiler steam drum and furnace box gave me claustrophobia. I had no choice but to put up with the work situation afraid that if I complained things could get worse for me. I finally got out of that job and to this day I still have nightmares about working as a Boiler Technician. Finding out that the asbestos we worked with,the living compartments we lived in and the dining areas we ate in were infested with asbestos has only made matters worse. The ship that I served on was built during the WWII time frame, when asbestos were used as insulation. On one of my previous post I mentioned that I was diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis. My job history prior to and after military service were jobs that did not subject me to asbestos exposure. I am going to get another IMO and refile my asbestos exposure claim. I also take anti-anxiety pills as needed for anxiety. I am thinking about adding a claim for anxiety associated with working in the boileroom and asbestos exposure. Do you have any input as to whether I should classified it as PTSD even though it has been so many years after my enlistment ended? Thanks. 68mustang

Berta I did change jobs because of my fears, but no medical proof exist because of the way things were at that time. A person could not complain about anything without being called a trouble maker. Plus as much as I hated being a Boiler Technician I did not want to be discharged. I volunteered during the Vietnam Era and I wanted to complete my enlistment. The only person that I know of who could validate my request to transfer out of the boileroom has passed away. He was a Navy officer to whom I owed a lot of thanks. The record I have is some paperwork changing my job code from Boiler Technician to Engineman. Thanks again Berta.