Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The Invisible Walking Wounded

Rate this question

free_spirit_etc

Question

I have been teaching college classes since 1993. In that time, thanks to the GI Bill, and the fact that one of the schools where I teach is a community college near nd Air Force Base, I have had the opportunity to have quite a few active duty military and vets in my classes.

The change that has occured the last couple of years is that some of the vets are now coming to class in wheelchairs.Young guys who went in the service walking and came out with no use of their legs.

But I also realize that these vets - who most people typically think of when they think of "disabled vets" are but a small portion of the wounded - and that many of the vets walking into my classroom are vets with disabilities I cannot see coming to school trying to do what they can to make their life work for them.

My thoughts and prayers are with them.

And hope they kept copies of their SMRs.

Free

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Free,

Yes, the SMR's are the key, but will these young vets be brain - washed into thinking the VA is there to help and assist them.

It sure took me long enough to realize that they were my worse enemy.

Too long for me, but I hope the word gets out for them.

As I told the BVA, I would be Happy, after 43 years, just to be heard. No More and No Less.

That is all that I ask for.

If they believe me and my story that is fine and if they do not , that is fine also, but at least after all these years, someone will read my case.

Thanks,

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

• HadIt.com Elder

Free, Your heartfelt statement touched me, its true, I have seen at the BX young military members with mature facial expressions of caution and concern.

My thoughts and prayers are with them - and their families!

Yes, keeping and continually updating a personal copy of SMR (in safety deposit box even) is ideal from day one!

cg

I LIVE IN A SMALL TOWN POP. 7000. I JUST MOVED HEAR 1 YEAR AGO. AND I STAY HOME WITH MY 2 SMALL CHILDREN 2 AND 8. MY WIFE WORKS AT THE PRISON. AND MOST OF THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE HEAR ALSO WORK AT THE PRISON. I LIVE IN A PRISON TOWN. SO MOST OF THE FOLKS WHO LIVE ON MY STREET WORK AT THE PRISON. A COUPLE OF PEOPLE WHO LIVE ON MY STREET WILL COME OVER WIN I AM OUTSIDE AND ASK WHAT I DO FOR A LIVING. I TELL THEM THAT I AM A 100% VET AND I GET THE STRANGEST LOOKS. BECUASE ON THE OUTSIDE I LOOK LIKE A NORMAL PERSON. I SAY I HAVE PTSD. AND I TRY TO EXPLAIN WHY AND WHAT HAPPENED. I BELIEVE PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW. SO WIN THEY HEAR SOLDIERS AND MARINES ON THE NEWS AND PTSD IS THE ISSUE THEY WILL GET A BETTER SENSE OF WHAT PTSD DOES TO SOMEONE. AFTER I EXPLAIN WHAT I WENT THROUGH AND HOW I HAD TO FIGHT THE VA THEY GET A BETTER SENSE WERE I AM COMING FROM. THERE ARE FEW WHO WONT TALK TO ME AFTER I EXPLAIN MY SITUATION. THERES A COUPLE A WHO LIVE 5 HOMES DOWN WITH KIDS AND THEY WONT LET THERE KIDS PLAY WITH MINE. THATS ALRIGHT I TOLD MY OLDEST GIRL SOME WILL ALWAYS BE AFRIAD OF WHAT THEY DONT UNDERSTAND. ITS NOT THE FIRST TIME. AT MY OLD JOB I WAS TOLD BY MY BOSS HE WAS AFRAID I WAS GOING TO BRING A GUN TO WORK AND KILL SOMEONE. I WAS TOLD A DMV THAT DID NOT LOOK DISABLED AND REFUSED TO GIVE ME MY BENIFITS. AFTER CONTACTING THE GOVERNOR I GOT MY BENIFITS AND THE DMV REP WAS WRITTEN UP. SOMETIMES I WONDER IF I HAD A CHOICE OF EITHER HAVING PTSD OR LOOSING A ARM OR LEG I WOULD CHOOSE THE ARM AND LEG. BUT I TRY TO EDUCATE PEOPLE ON MY ILLNESS AND TRY TO MAKE THEM UNDERSTAND WHAT WAR CAN DO ON THE MIND.

• HadIt.com Elder

Cal:

Unfortunately the only people who can understand you are people who have the same problems. No one thinks that someone who is not in a wheel chair or limping is that bad off to collect full disability.

In my personal life I no longer try to explain it. I just say I retired and that is it.

Good Luck

• HadIt.com Elder

Cal, sounds like you make efforts to share information good for you. You care! Pete, I too, don't feel like I have to explain my disabilities (health issues) to strangers. As I have come of age and wisdom, when asked I smile breifly and tend to whats important at the moment. I have found that Disclosure of personal health information is my choice, for example not on a cell phone at Walmart pharmacy! Namely, I try to stay postive and productive for my self and family, other than that, I am private. I do have extended family that I share health and benefit information with simply because I trust 'em. Then other relatives are too detail oriented and nosey about money, so I turn the tables when they ask me, they would rather talk bout themselves anyway. Gotta love 'em. cg

I can certainly appreciate this thread. Its hard to admit you have ptsd for most of us. After leaving the service, I have found myself in a leadership position most of my working years.

But at night while sleeping, it seemed the dead just wouldn't stay dead. After an accident forced me to cease working, It got much worse.

In all the years I had never discussed my dreams, but after becoming idle they start happening in the day time also.

A friend who I grew up with and was in the service the same years I was talked me into going to the vet center.

On my first visit I was diagnosed with ptsd. This was my first association with this word. I went home and punched ptsd up on my computer. I didn't read much until I knew it was a wrong diagnosis.

I continued to go to the center weekly for a couple of months. on what I decided would be my last visit, I sat down with my counselor and told him I wouldn't be coming back. I told him the things that had happened to me in the service had nothing to do with my problems.

He said I would like to tell you about an observation I made of you today. I said ok, tell me. He said while I was in the lobby to get my appointment ahead of you ,I notice you opened the door for a fellow vet.

He ask me why did I do that. I told him the man was in a wheel chair. Both legs were amputated above the knees, and I was just being courteous.

He said was it because of his disability, and I said yes.

His response has me weeping as I write this,. He said the only difference between him and you is you can see his disability, but you can't see yours.

I have always been the macho type, but I busted out in tears, and orally wept for at least half an hour. Our session lasted an hour and a half. Before I left He filled out a disability form for Ptsd.

I suppose He thought I wouldn't take it to a vet rep so he called a friend of his who worked for the American legion who worked near by.

They filled out my claim for me on the spot and filed it. In less than three months I was granted 50% on ptsd.

What he didn't know, but probably sense was I never plan to see another sun set.

God bless all those young faces returning from todays war.