Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question

Rate this question

Billyboy

Question

I am seeing a Psychiatrist and a Psychologist. I have an open claim for 50% working on TD. The Psychiatrist wrote "Mr. ******** has been under my care for long history of mood disorder and has been complaint with his treatment. He has been suffering from depression and anxiety in addition to his physical condition related to chronic back pain, neck pain, fibromyalgia, arthritis and hypertension. He seems to be unable to hold any gainful employment.

Signed, Staff Psychiatrist. I did not use this because you all said the VA would deny because she add back, neck pain which I am not connected for. The Psychologist told me I should be 70 or maybe 100% disabled. I asked for a letter stating this and he told since i had an open claim for TD he could not write such a letter? "It would be inproper"? What say ye all. bill

0% Hearing loss, 10% Tinnitus, 70% MDD, 100% TDIU Thanks to the vet (Gaylon) that help me get started, the county officer (Charles) and all the great people on HADIT

• Answers 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hello MT, I have asked for an increase. I mail a NOD saying, “I don’t believe I was rated correctly and am asking for an increase to 70%” Something like that.

DID YOU READ THE TWO SHRINKS REPORTS ON THIS POST????

I have filed for TDIU and got the BS answer that 60% does not qualify me. They say I need 70%. Latter I found out thru this board that was BS. I sent a NOD on that too.

Thanks for the link, I am starting to read thru it. bill

0% Hearing loss, 10% Tinnitus, 70% MDD, 100% TDIU Thanks to the vet (Gaylon) that help me get started, the county officer (Charles) and all the great people on HADIT

Billyboy you wrote..

"hello MT, I have asked for an increase. I mail a NOD saying, “I don’t believe I was rated correctly and am asking for an increase to 70%” Something like that.

I have filed for TDIU and got the BS answer that 60% does not qualify me. They say I need 70%. Latter I found out thru this board that was BS. I sent a NOD on that too.

Thanks for the link, I am starting to read thru it. bill"

Yes I did read your post...and asking for an increase is the way to go...but inorder to get the increase you have to show how your condition has increased in servirity since your last C/P or evaluation with the VA...as I said in my post you have a solid doctor statement of support...but sometimes the VA wants more then that...hence statement of support from family memebers, friends, those who know you best...those who interact with you daily...those who can give credance to what your doctor statement brings out...those are the ones who are affected most by your S/C disability and can explain the heart and soul of your pain..but this is Just My opionion..

MT

MT, your personal opinion, would you send both doctor reports in???? bill

Good Morning bill...

You Wrote.."MT, your personal opinion, would you send both doctor reports in???? bill"

Copied and Paste Dr. statements...

1.)I am seeing a Psychiatrist and a Psychologist. I have an open claim for 50% working on TD. The Psychiatrist wrote "Mr. ******** has been under my care for long history of mood disorder and has been complaint with his treatment. He has been suffering from depression and anxiety in addition to his physical condition related to chronic back pain, neck pain, fibromyalgia, arthritis and hypertension. He seems to be unable to hold any gainful employment.

Signed, Staff Psychiatrist

2.)Well I saw my Psychologist and he made a total turn around, I will not go into details, he did write this

"I am writing in support of Mr. ******* claim for an increase in his service-connected disability benefits because of unemployability due to Major Depressive Disorder. His current psychiatric symptoms include feelings of depression most of the day, nearly every day, anhedonia daily, increased appetite with weight gain, difficulty staying asleep every night; fatigue every day; frequent feelings of worthlessness; diminished ability to concentrate most days and regular thoughts of suicide without intent. These symptoms currently result in complete occupational impairment and marked social impairment". Both of these doctors work at the VA Hospital and that is where I see them. bill"

My annswer is this...Yes, I would send in both of them no questions asked...and I will tell you why...they both support your increase in serverity and unemployability. It doesn't matter Bill if you have other conditions...as long as the S/C disability is what prevents you form working...in your case it does...being 50% for MDD already and with the Doctor statements of support both saying your unemployable will support a higher rating of disability.

Keep in Mind Bill that the VA raters have access to all of your VA records...it's not like they won't see the letters...because they will be in your VA medical records.

I know right now you are feeling like a cat on a hot tin roof...antsy as all hell...but remember Bill today is a new day with it comes a set of new problems...and like yesterdays problems they will resolve...and in the interum you need to try and focus on something positive to make the time go by less stressfull...things will be as they should...take time for Bill...MDD will get the best of you if you let it...so remember you have MDD it doesn't have you...embrace life Bill one day at a time...You are in my Prayers for a swift resolution to your claim...please keep me inform on the progress...

Sincerly

MT

Thanks Billy - I agree with mountain tyme - It does not so much matter that the doctor said you had OTHER conditions - He was pretty clear that your depression is what keeps you from being able to work. It is more like he was mentioning other conditions as a side issue.

It is hard enough for someone with major depression to hold a job. But if they also have other things that cause pain - it is even harder.

It helps that your SC is FOR depression. I had initially thought you were trying to make the link to another SC illness.

But if the Depression IS your SC - then it doesn't matter WHAT contributes to that depression - if the dperession has increased in severity.

So yeah - besides the initial depression - If you are ALREADY depressed - then having your back hurt, your neck hurt, etc. would make you MORE dperessed. Once you have the depression service connected - ANYTHING that makes it get worse is fair game -- you don't have to be depressed about SC conditions in order for them to count.

You can even be depressed ABOUT not being able to work.

I agree that the buddy statements will help. They will help solidify that it is your depression that is keeping you from working. (To make SURE the VA GETS IT better). It isn't that you can't work because your back hurts as much as being depressed because your back hurts... etc. etc.

I think statements from people RELATING to work could also help. Work is not just employment. So if someone writes a statement about working with you on ANYTHING - and how the depression effects it - that would help.

Again - like mountain tyme says - you want the statements to show an INCREASE in severity.

So even a statement from your friend who said - Billy used to help me work on my cars. I knew he was depressed - but he used to help me quite a bit. Lately I have seen a big change in him - and then discuss the change....

(Now - I call him for help and he doesn't answer the phone. Or he comes over to help - but only helps for about 15 minutes and then doesn't feel like helping anymore... Or he tries to help, but honestly I am kind fo afraid to ask him anymore because he gets distracted and doesn't pay attention to what he is doing - and it is getting kind of dangerous to let him - the last time he helped he started the car while my hand was in the belt....

What kind of work did you do before? If you always did the same line of work - statements related to impairments that would affect your abilities there could help.

And again, I would even see about getting statements from people who could say "I WOULD ask Billy to help, BUT..... and why they don't / can't) or Billy tried to help, BUT (and whatever happened / didn't happen that should have)

Hope this helps

Free

Billyboy you wrote..

"hello MT, I have asked for an increase. I mail a NOD saying, “I don’t believe I was rated correctly and am asking for an increase to 70%” Something like that.

Thanks for the link, I am starting to read thru it. bill"

Yes I did read your post...and asking for an increase is the way to go...but inorder to get the increase you have to show how your condition has increased in servirity since your last C/P or evaluation with the VA...as I said in my post you have a solid doctor statement of support...but sometimes the VA wants more then that...hence statement of support from family memebers, friends, those who know you best...those who interact with you daily...those who can give credance to what your doctor statement brings out...those are the ones who are affected most by your S/C disability and can explain the heart and soul of your pain..but this is Just My opionion..

MT

Think Outside the Box!

MT, you sent me a link, very helpful. Yet another question, would you use any info from this link to perhaps help my case or would you just send the two dr reports? I have asked family and friends and right now I’m just a little hesitant to ask, I don’t know why but I am. I like this net; I like everyone I talk with. (keyboard to keyboard)

Free, you asked what kind of work did I do, the first 20 years out of the service I had 22 jobs. One time I had a boss giving me a bunch of crap and I told him boss spelled backwards is just a double SOB. Needless to say he fired me. It took a long time but I started my own janitorial business. I kept the offices clean and got no crap. I didn’t have to deal with people and that was just fine, but I finally had it and gave the business to my son.

I will send both reports, thanks bill