Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Have You Ever Had Individual Unemployability (iu) Denied? If So

Rate this question

tssnave

Question

Have you ever had a request for IU denied?

If so, what was the reason they cited for the denial?

Were you able to prevail and get IU awarded?

If so, what did you do and what evidence did you send in to get the VA to award your IU?

Thanks,

TS

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I was 50%MDD and seeing two shrinks, a trip to Palo Alto medical center for a day and a half and they determent I had 16 of 17 symptoms of PTSD. (I was never granted PTSD) I asked both shrinks I was seeing to read this report. In a few months I asked both shrinks to write a letter (may not have been the best way to do it) that I was capable or not to work. I know, don’t say it. One said not and the other said not but she added some things that were not service connected. Lower back and others. The VA did pick up on the condition that were not service connected but with the evidence I presented they granted 70% MDD and 100% TDIU. Still working on other stuff, bill

0% Hearing loss, 10% Tinnitus, 70% MDD, 100% TDIU Thanks to the vet (Gaylon) that help me get started, the county officer (Charles) and all the great people on HADIT

• HadIt.com Elder

Carlie, are you still trying to get tdiu? I am waiting for status on my application, even a notice letter would be good. best to ya,cg

TS,

VARO denied my claim for IU stating my SC'd conditions were not the sole reason for IU.

In my opinion, anytime a claimant has conditions that are not SC'd VA throws that in there.

jmho,

carlie

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!

• HadIt.com Elder

Billy, good that you were granted the necessary ratings for MDD and TDIU! Requested increase for mdd here, my mdd has issues listed as subsets and is wordy, not specifically 'mdd ptsd w/mst'. I suppose its tolerable that docs and I understand. Hoping for the best for you! (and me).cg

I was 50%MDD and seeing two shrinks, a trip to Palo Alto medical center for a day and a half and they determent I had 16 of 17 symptoms of PTSD. (I was never granted PTSD) I asked both shrinks I was seeing to read this report. In a few months I asked both shrinks to write a letter (may not have been the best way to do it) that I was capable or not to work. I know, don't say it. One said not and the other said not but she added some things that were not service connected. Lower back and others. The VA did pick up on the condition that were not service connected but with the evidence I presented they granted 70% MDD and 100% TDIU. Still working on other stuff, bill

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

tassnave wrote: "Have you ever had a request for IU denied?

If so, what did you do and what evidence did you send in to get the VA to award your IU?

Thanks,

TS "

Back in 2005 I filed a claim for s/c and at first I was denied due to lack of evidence of a nexus. With the help of Vike17 I sent in the right evidence that was needed the VA awared me s/c 50% in Feb 2007... A few weeks later due to the advice of Sixsence he helped me with applying for TDIU at first I was denied TDIU even though I have been on SSA since 2001 the VA cited that I was on SSA due to physical limitations...(VA must have had blinders on as well since I was first denied SSA in 2000 but in 2001 Major depression and Aniexty was added and I was awarded SSA)The Va stated in there denial since the sole reason that I was unable to work was due to a physical limination and not due to my s/c disablity request for TDIU is denied...so I had to go to the SSA and request the judges decision on my award along with all the questionairs that my husband filled out that clearly showed my limitations in quality of life ect. in the SSA decision the judge clearly stated that due to my MMD and anixety along with my airway diease I was no longer able to sustain gainful employment. Then I had my doctor review the VA c/p evaluation and she wrote up a letter as to why the percentage should have been higher based not only on her evaluation of my condition but the evaluation of the VA doctor clearly would warrent at least a 70% if not higher also she wrote that since 2001 she has been treating me and I had not worked at all during her care. In Aug 2007 I received not only a higher % of 70% but the VA awarded me TDIU P/T no further examinations. But they only retro me back to May 07 the date that my doctor wrote her letter...yet I have been in treatment since 2001 so go figure.

MT

• HadIt.com Elder

Wow, good going Vike and Six.

I am touched by your response to TS. Sad but glad to hear you have the needed P&T. Have you appealed the date for retro? best to ya, cg

tassnave wrote: "Have you ever had a request for IU denied?

Thanks,

TS "

Back in 2005 I filed a claim for s/c and at first I was denied due to lack of evidence of a nexus. With the help of Vike17 I sent in the right evidence that was needed the VA awared me s/c 50% in Feb 2007... A few weeks later due to the advice of Sixsence he helped me with applying for TDIU at first I was denied TDIU even though I have been on SSA since 2001 the VA cited that I was on SSA due to physical limitations...(VA must have had blinders on as well since I was first denied SSA in 2000 but in 2001 Major depression and Aniexty was added and I was awarded SSA)The Va stated in there denial since the sole reason that I was unable to work was due to a physical limination and not due to my s/c disablity request for TDIU is denied...so I had to go to the SSA and request the judges decision on my award along with all the questionairs that my husband filled out that clearly showed my limitations in quality of life ect. in the SSA decision the judge clearly stated that due to my MMD and anixety along with my airway diease I was no longer able to sustain gainful employment. Then I had my doctor review the VA c/p evaluation and she wrote up a letter as to why the percentage should have been higher based not only on her evaluation of my condition but the evaluation of the VA doctor clearly would warrent at least a 70% if not higher also she wrote that since 2001 she has been treating me and I had not worked at all during her care. In Aug 2007 I received not only a higher % of 70% but the VA awarded me TDIU P/T no further examinations. But they only retro me back to May 07 the date that my doctor wrote her letter...yet I have been in treatment since 2001 so go figure.

MT

cowgirl wrote: "Sad but glad to hear you have the needed P&T"

thank you..

the fact is I do not discuss what happened to me to people in my everyday life, yet I can come here to this forum and bare my soul.. so in some ways it is a type of therapy to let some of the past go.

There are people who have known me for over 20 years that do not even know I was in the military nor know I am on SSA or VA comp. and most likely will never know.

I come from a large family and only 2 members know what happened to me back in the 70's, and if I could change just one thing in the past I would but since I can't I make the best out of each day and when the morning comes the first thought is I made it though another night and I thank God for being by my side.

Life is such a gift and when I read the trial and tribulation of fellow veterans in this site my problems are so insignificant that I feel guilty that I was able to get through the VA system so quickly.

Much of my success is due from reading the post of others and the courage they had to speak out when no one else would do so for them and I can not thank two very special men that helped me more then they can ever imagin from this site they know who they are. But, what I found in this site money can not buy..it is compassion from unknown hero's that have gave up so much already of themselves even though they themselves have heavy burden they carry yet.. still they take time from there busy lives and unselfisly help strangers... that now have in a way that only the heart can feel have become friends and extended family.

I have laughed at some of the antic of some of the fambly members...cried when I have read post of those closest to my heart...how much I want to see there story in the sucess pages I pray for them every night....I remember when I opened the success section and saw Betrayed success for the first time...I cried tears of joy for him and his family...I root for everyone here...and a quite stillness overcomes me when someone findly is granted compensation... I wouldn't say that a person earned there compensation for who would want to be so injured to have to even apply for it...but my firm belief is when a person serves there country and they were good enough for Uncle Sam to hire them and they entered in good faith in one piece then for what ever the reason they are injured my motto becomes... if you broke it fix it and if you can't compensate for it .

enough said...

MT