VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Have You Ever Had Individual Unemployability (iu) Denied? If So

Rate this question

tssnave

Question

Have you ever had a request for IU denied?

If so, what was the reason they cited for the denial?

Were you able to prevail and get IU awarded?

If so, what did you do and what evidence did you send in to get the VA to award your IU?

Thanks,

TS

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, IU was denied because even though I was 70% the VA said my SC condition was not the sole cause of my being unemployable. I got that fixed by sending in more medical evidence to rebut that contention. The condition that was not SC at the time is now SC anyway, but the VA will latch onto anything to deny at my VARO.

I don't quite understand your response. You say you are 70% SC and was deined IU. I think you are contraditing yourself by saying that you submitted more medical evidence to establish SC and that now they are SC. I don't get it. (just concerned)

Chongo - John said he WAS 70% SC (not that he is currently 70%) and was initally denied IU because "the VA said my SC condition was not the sole cause of my being unemployable. I got that fixed by sending in more medical evidence to rebut that contention (that contention being that his SC condition was not the sole cause of his being unemployable). The condition that was not SC at the time (of his first submission for IU) is now SC anyway, but the VA will latch onto anything to deny at my VARO."

There's no contridiction or cause for concern for John since he did prevail against the VA BS by sending in more medical evidence to prove his IU claim.

John - Forgive me for answering for you but I don't want the thread to get bogged down from a misunderstanding.

Other IU Vets - Whether you prevailed or not, tell us your story if you got denied for IU.

Thanks,

TS

TS,

VARO denied my claim for IU stating my SC'd conditions were not the sole reason for IU.

In my opinion, anytime a claimant has conditions that are not SC'd VA throws that in there.

jmho,

carlie

Was at 50% for ptsd then I filed appeal for increase. Denied 2 times. In the middle of the 1st and 2nd denial I filed for iu. From advice of hadit members. I sought stronger medical evidence. I had my va shrink state that I could no longer work becuase of my ptsd. Gaf score 48. Then I had the va voc rehab records stating I was unemployable due to ptsd. Then I sent it in to the ro. Also I put in for ssd at this time. Sent ssd the same evidence. And then I waited and waited and waited. 6 months later ssd called me and said I was approved first time around. 1 down 1 to go. Called the va and asked the status of my claim. Told them I was approved by ssd for ptsd. I was told my iu and increase would be done at the same time. Since I needed to be at 70% to get the iu. remember I was at 50% I needed 70% for iu. Then 3 weeks later my rep from the dav called. I was approved granted 70% and iu. So 6 months for ssd and almost 18 months to go from 50% to 70% and iu from the va. For anybody fighting the system medical evidence is what wins claims. Buddy statements family statements or anything that does not come from a doctor will not win a claim. If you have to hold your doctors hand and tell him or her what you need then do it. If they still wont listen then ask for another doctor that will. Its like any other goverment system you must learn how to play the game. You will get mad and pissed off. But that is good turn that anger into your claim. Ask the questions you need hear. Dont take no for a answer. Do your homework look at what others have used to win there claims. If I had found this website earlier I would have never been denied 2 times. Good luck.