• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Berta & Others...i Got The Drs Note From The Va Clinic

Rate this question

Cherie33

Question

Ok Berta,

Here is what my dr. wrote in my record.

quote "****I strongly feel that, more likely than not, this pt is unemployable (totally + permanently) due to her psychiatric condition which has only worsen in time, + I suspect her chronic psychotic condition will be re-diagnosed from major depression with psychotic features to schizoaffective disorder****" unquote.

So, what do you think? I will submit this along with the letter that I received from the Vocah Rehab...Will I still need a C & P exam?

Thanks,

Cherie33

Edited by Cherie33

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I agree with Jay: It doesn't matter what the diagnosis is for rating purposes when it comes to mental disabilities. IIRC, they all have the same etiology: The mind, and so they -- if you have multiple mental issues -- can't be rated separately...that would be pyramiding.

Unlike physical disabilities, all the mental disabilities are "lumped together" and only the most disabling mental diagnosis is stated along with the % given for it.

For TREATMENT, however, of course it matters because you need to be treated for exactly what you have, not for something you do not have. But for RATING purposes, vets should not be too concerned about what they are rated FOR re: their mental disability (disabilities).

Although I think the VA should be more precise in this -- assign the proper mental diagnosis right up front -- they aren't so that's just how it's done presently. And to be honest, with two (or more) shrinks often giving two different diagnoses of the same veteran, maybe it's just not possible to be 100% accurate anyway. Far from it.

Alrighty then...I am 50% Major Depressive Order and 30% Irritable Bowel Syndrome = 70% total. So, basically I have been diagnosed with 2 separate problems, which relates to 2 separate body systems. So, I should be good to go with filing for TDIU. Right?

Thanks Everyone for all of your help. Its wonderful to be able to talk with others that have "Been There" "Done That".

Cherie33

In fact, we all know pinpoint accuracy really isn't possible when it comes to psychiatry.

-- John D.

Alrighty then...I am 50% Major Depressive Order and 30% Irritable Bowel Syndrome = 70% total. So, basically I have been diagnosed with 2 separate problems, which relates to 2 separate body systems. So, I should be good to go with filing for TDIU. Right?

Thanks Everyone for all of your help. Its wonderful to be able to talk with others that have "Been There" "Done That".

Cherie33

It really doesn't matter which, or how many, disorders you have when filing for TDIU as long as you can prove that any, or all, of them prohibit you from seeking gainful employment. BTW, if your psych thinks your mental disorders are sufficient enough to make you unable to work I would seek a schedular increase for the major depression while you're at it......in my opinion, you should be at least 70% based on what you've written.

I'd be concerned with the insertion of the word "independent" in his sentence:

"... as I suspect she has developed a chronic psychotic process independent of her depression..."

By definition, independent could well be interpreted to mean that it does not have anything to do w/ your sc md. I'm w/ the other poster who said the doc should be able to make a diagnosis not gander a guess based on suspicion (which the VA could use against you).

I'd ask the VA doc to clarify, get a copy of it, and get an IMO either way. If the VA doc says it's all sc, then hunky dory, an IMO won't hurt, but if the VA doc isn't clear then an IMO can give you a claim for reasonable doubt.

Good luck and keep us posted,

TS

• HadIt.com Elder

TS good thoughts on interpeting a Psych Dr statement. Have seen odd diagnosis type statements with words like "suspect" and "probable" or "possible". My thoughts, trained professionals "may" use these words as cautious insurance. My recent SC claim had this type of Dr. statement, odd type diagnosis supported with sentences of current DSM IV content. It worked.

Although I see "mental disabilities" comingled, I too feel treatment and recognition for a specific correct issue is important. In my thoughts, I prefer to see a "specific issue" I applied for recognized, treated and compensated for. In reality, I have to recognize time and effort towards gains achieved sideline my "specificity" desire. Could be I am thankful to get some care, better than none, along with hard earned compensation. Have a g'day mates! cg

Edited by cowgirl

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!