Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Do I Get A Higher % Rating? Elders?

Rate this question

freddie

Question

I have a gaf of 50 and this is giving me a 50% pension my rating was done in 1997 with a previous one in 1995 and at that time the doc said i was bipolar then changed his mind and said alcoholism and depression in 97 the doc disagreed and said that was wrong and i had lived under this miss diagnosis i am now fighting my case once again with a current gaf of 50 can i expect an increase? i have only been able to work sporactically for 12 years i have also spent 5 and 1/2 years in an alternative treatment program the va has documentation for 3 and 1/2 years so what i am asking is will i get this case won? can you help me? thank you

freddie

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Normally in a physc write you will have four components 1-the standard write up (the interview) 2- A GAF; 3-Axis entries and 4th a write up which will mirror one of the statements in the General Rating for Mental Disorders. It is normally the statement which really drives the percentage. At least this has been my experience.

Freddie,

I just got my service connected PTSD rated at 0% by a Decision Review Officer and I have a GAF of 55.

I am wondering where the rating percentage comes from. I read the hadit.com faq's but must have missed 0% somewhere.

Thanks,I need an answer, too.

Doc Johnny K.

the way it worked for me was i went to a CP and got a GAF of 50 and was given 10% and after that i started to receive treatment.. meds and weekly sessions.. i appealed and received 30% this took from 1999 to 2001 then i put in for an increase and using the notes from my semi weekly treatment at the VA i was given a 70% then in 2004 i just couldnt deal anymore with things and was let go ... i applied for IU and in 2004 i received it.. then i asked for PT well that took almost one year and i had still notes from the VA and PT was granted ... i still see the doctor 2 to 3 times a month and will most likley always see the doc.. when i am there i can let go of what bothers me and my thinking and its like giving up the thoughts and then i can go another few weeks and it builds up again and i let it go again..

• HadIt.com Elder

When the VA rates you for PTSD the biggest factor is if you can work or not. If you are employed you probably won't get a rating above 50% regardless of the GAF. A 0% rating for PTSD is absurd. If you have a GAF of 55 you should get at least 30%. With all mental disorders your employment history is the key. I was rated 30% for years until I lost my job and then I got 70%. All my symptoms were the same and had been the same for years. I had a GAF of 50 and was granted social security disability. I got a 70% rating and TDIU. A 0% rating means you have no symptoms. This does not make any sense. I guess if you were working and making 100,000 a year and slept hours a night and were married to the same person for 30 years a 10% rating might make sense with a PTSD diagnosis, but no one with PTSD lives that kind of life.