Jump to content
VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

  • homepage-banner-2024-2.png

  • donate-be-a-hero.png

  • 0

Unpaid Child Support And The Va..for My Friend

Rate this question

Guest Gail


I have another question. My friend has a 14 yr old son now. His dad deserted both him and the mom when the son was 2 years old. He moved to Tennesee, became a respiratory therapist, and was court ordered to pay only $48 per week to this child and would not. Child support recovery is a taxpayers ripoff anyway. To try and shorten this, somehow her case was moved from GA to TN, and she found out at a hearing, that he had gotten himself fired as a RT and was applying for VA disability and SSD. As he has been living with another woman for many years, without the benefit of a divorce to his wife and child here, things are a mess for her. She found out that he was recieving a 50% VA disability and he said he added his child, but he has not. My friend talked to her retired Airforce friend and was advised to call the VA and have the papers sent to her to file for child support for their minor child. This man is thousands and thousands behind on the $48 per wk he was to pay. The VA refused to send her the papers. I found a place in my researching this and that that it had been made to the VA that they were required to send you any type of form you requested, and printed it off and gave it to her. Is anyone familiar with what I speak of? She is now going to our Congressman about this. Should not the minor child, had he claimed having a minor child and the chid support, not be receiving something from the VA if she could get the right forms. They told her the same thing they told me....send a letter detailing everything from beginning to end; marriage license, birth certificates, etc and thats where the BS has been.

She don't know what to do.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • HadIt.com Elder

Call 800 827 1000 and ask to have the Forms mailed to her. She might consider getting a Veterans Service Officer to help her do it.

She can find a Veterans Service Officer at any VA Medical or Regional Office.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Actually all she has to do is send in a copy of the child support declaration of the divorce decree..

She needs to do this for social security also.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is a great site for your friend to learn how to work the child support issue. There are some lawyers on this site that give free info also. http://www.divorcesource.com/

Have her go to the military issues bored and she will get her answers. Divorce Source is to divorce what Haditit is to veterans.

I wish her luck


Link to comment
Share on other sites

The X-husband is legally bound to pay that money and not only can they attach his wages/dissability for current payments, but they can also prorate the back child support and force him to pay that as well.

Waht your friend needs to do is find a good attorney and get to work on the case...in the end, she will win.

P.S. - Also, have the new judge look into an increase in pay. $48/week is really low for child support these days. My wife's dad had to pay $800/mnth for his two kids 10 years ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use