VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Becoming Brain Dead

Rate this topic

Long story short been on high doses of Zoloft(Setraline) and Gabapenton and Trazadone for a like 3 yrs I think.

Ok, I have multiple SC disibilities but only take the drugs above. I was on 8 medications total and stopped that crap awhile back...

Anyways here is the problem besides side effects of ED and I'm still messed up

PTSD and Major Depression, wife says the Meds are keeping me somewhat together

I dont see it but anyways I'm starting to become speechless like I cannot think

of words to say anymore. I'm writing this ok, but its like my feelings cannot come

out of my mouth. Some days I'm in this Fog like time is passing by and I'm just

so brain dead. I've heard the drugs I take can effect your brain in a bad way

maybe my doses she be lowered. The NP is going to have me drop the 200mg of

Zoloft to 100mg and start Citalopram (Celexa). She did say it will make me

tired... Great right!!I'm going to give it a try though. Why the hell not right?

Another thing about taking 8 meds... I stopped going to the VA for regular medical

stuff and only go for Mental Health. The regular health stuff they would give me a

pill for everything and counter-act drugs. 8 meds could have turned into 12

easily. Now my health is shot to hell so catch 22. They keep telling me exercise,

but my mind says hell with that. Depression can kill you even if you dont pull the trigger.

Sorry if that touches a nerve, but its so true..

Lost in space with no future or hope!

Anyone on Citalopram (Celexa) combo with Gabapenton and trazadone or whatever ?

Edited by marine0311

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i started out with the Zoloft 100mg and a serquol? 300mg and now i still take the Zoloft but i take 650 mg of the serquol and sometimes i just cant wake up ... like i am unable to keep my eyes open ... it passes in about 3 hours ,,, how can anyone work when they get like that i mean one time i was driving very early in oregon and next thing i know is a cop is waking me up and i am in the center grass i dont know how i got there... i dont drive much anymore...

• HadIt.com Elder

Trazadone is given to a lot of Veterans as a cheap sleeping pill. That said neurontin which I take can also make you sleepy but it depends on how much and when you take it. I take 300 mg three times a day and usually sleep about 4 to 5 hours tops.

That said I do not see why a NP is making the kind of changes you are talking about. Changing doses and meds is a delicate thing and the consequences can be huge. We have advised on Hadit that any major changes in meds should be done with close supervision with a Doc and that one of us patients should never just change on our own.

This is my opinion and all I have is what has happened to me when I changed on my own and the experiences that others have shared and most are not good.

If you can I really think you should consult with a Doc and probably a shrink. Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...

Well the Sert/Zoloft I have been taking for over 3 yrs hasn't been helping. I asked to try another drug. Why not right ? Just wondering what y'all think about

Celexa? I looked it up and it seems it has a higher reaction with low doses.

I'm taking 40mg compared to the Zoloft 200mg. Course I am slowly getting off the

Zoloft. Upped my Gabapenton from 900mg to 1200mg. Yeah trazadone helps me get

about 4 hrs, unless I take a whole dose of 100mg , then I wake up with a

hangover from hell. I feel like as time goes on my brain is turning to mush.

• HadIt.com Elder

they have me on 150mg Zoloft, and .5mg Clonazepam (sleep helpers) and then buspar as needed for anxiety (anger) lol I take lots of it

I have been on Celexa for depression and Teazapam (sp) at bedtiem for insomnia and I cannot think clearly during the day and am sleepy/groggy. Tried Lunesta and Ambien CR w/o success. Psychiatrist told me to dc Teazapam (Restirol) for two week and come back to see him. I did this and slept better but still not rested. He said to continue this regimen w/o medication. I am better w/o the Restirol and do not want to return to this drug. At least now I can function through the day even though I am sleepy. Probably shouldn't drive but they did not tell me not to....