VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Md & Ptsd

Rate this question

cowgirl

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I know that mental health issues are combined under singular rating, but I wonder, whats the norm? Thanks, cg w/md 30%

Edited by cowgirl

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Hello cowgirl,

you wrote: Ptsd claim denied but issue really was mst. MST can cause PTSD...in order to Prevail with a claim for PTSD due to MST you would have to first have a diagonis (current) for PTSD...then you must link the PTSD to the event of the trauma itself to have it S/C. MST is the cause/event which has to be proved...unfortanally MST is a violent crime and crimes of this nature regardless of gender many times go's unreported for obvious reasons...if the sexual trauma was not reported it sometimes hard to prove but believe me there is always some type of trail to help with the nexus...if you like you can email me...I been down that road.

MT

MST: Military Sexual Trauma

"Sexual Trauma Defined

Personal or sexual assault are events of human design that threaten or inflict harm. We define sexual trauma as any lingering physical, emotional, or psychological symptoms resulting from a physical assault of a sexual nature, or battery of a sexual nature. Examples of this are:

Rape

Physical assault,

Domestic Battering, and

Stalking"

PTSD caused by MST:

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) Secondary to Sexual Trauma

PTSD is a recurrent emotional reaction to a terrifying, uncontrollable or life-threatening event. The symptoms may develop immediately after the event or may be delayed for years. They include:

Sleep disturbances and nightmares,

Emotional instability,

Feelings of fear and anxiety,

Impaired concentration,

Flash-backs, and

Problems in intimate and other interpersonal relations

• HadIt.com Elder

Mountain, Thanks a lot, you are very generous! I have very similiar type information like you shared for this issue. I have all that proof, official reports and some, documentation and on and on. Just wondering if its prudent to followup on this "item" to add this to the mental health rating I already have or just accept the hard earned MD rating. Thanks a bunch for feedback. cg

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

You don't want to change your DSM4 diagnosis very often! Once you are rated for a mental disorder, IMO, keep the assigned diagnosis! If your mental health worsens then file an informal claim for an increase. You can get depressed 'cause your anxious, anxious 'cause your depressed, suicidal 'cause your paranoid, drink like a fish 'cause your not sleeping for the nightmares, etc, etc. same same. Think GAF scores and keep your diagnosis the same! You are not going to get a higher rating for additional mental disorder diagnoses; only rate you for impairment in your overall occupational and social functioning. Just my 2 cents. ~Wings

• HadIt.com Elder

Wings, thanks for the response and trying to understand what I was asking, I think you got it! I was just thinking that PTSD and MD are both similar but not the same mental health issues. So in that vein, I wasnt sure if rating takes them both into account, seperately or together, thats all. Interpeting to make sure I got somethin' sorta close to right. My current MD rating, although bittersweet due to its basis, feels just about right for now. I use the term bittersweet because the rating seems okay, but I'll always be recovering. Placed your lucky pennies in my bank, thanks, cg

• HadIt.com Elder

It gets better if you let it. I try to avoid talking to people about it just seems easier to say I took earlier retirement and let it go at that.

I will talk to fellow sufferers I think that we have a bond that no one else can understand.

• HadIt.com Elder
Wings, thanks for the response and trying to understand what I was asking, I think you got it! I was just thinking that PTSD and MD are both similar but not the same mental health issues. So in that vein, I wasnt sure if rating takes them both into account, seperately or together, thats all. Interpeting to make sure I got somethin' sorta close to right. My current MD rating, although bittersweet due to its basis, feels just about right for now. I use the term bittersweet because the rating seems okay, but I'll always be recovering. Placed your lucky pennies in my bank, thanks, cg

CG, What is "MD" ??

Typically they are going to service-connect a single, primary, "Axis 1" (DSM4) mental disorder . . . the pay is the same for all others combined lol! Keep asking questions ;-) ~Wings