Ads Keep HadIt.com Online. Consider Turning Off Ad Blockers to Keep HadIt.com Online! ×

Medical Records From Civilian Doc

jmack

Question

I just got off the phone with my doctor's office to see if he had receive info from the SSA DDS. He said that he had but it will take him 2 weeks!!! to get it back to them. They mailed it to him on 19 Sept 2007. We don't have the best of relationship,us two, but it's not in the dirt either, so why would it take so long and is there any alternative measures I can take to get the info from him like "yesterday" B) ? Please, need to know asap. Thanks.

jmack

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

17 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Jmack,

Things sometimes are beyond our control and I am afraid that this is one.

It is best to stay on the better side of your doctor at this point, as he may and will probably have some weight in the decision that you will receive from Social Security.

This is only my advice, others may fill differently.

Always,

Josephine

His time is very valuable. Most of them save things such as this for the evening hours after they see their heavy patient load.

• HadIt.com Elder

Tell his office that you will pay to expedite it. Maybe that will encourage them. Money talks. His staff probably does it anyway and he just signs it.

Tell his office that you will pay to expedite it. Maybe that will encourage them. Money talks. His staff probably does it anyway and he just signs it.

John999:

Hey you are my Elder now, are you serious? Because I will do it. B) I manage to get an appt with him in the am so what do I say to him to win him over. He knows of my physical health, but not much of my mental state.

jmack

Jmack,

Things sometimes are beyond our control and I am afraid that this is one.

It is best to stay on the better side of your doctor at this point, as he may and will probably have some weight in the decision that you will receive from Social Security.

This is only my advice, others may fill differently.

Always,

Josephine

Thanks, that why you guys have become so important to me, keep me grounded.

Jmack

His time is very valuable. Most of them save things such as this for the evening hours after they see their heavy patient load.

Just need to be patient huh? I think I will be after I get something to calm me down next week.

Thanks,

jmack

Tower Rat,

Thanks I,m kinda new to this stuff, I won't really press too much in the am.

jmack

That is why I recommend that you be the instigator. You need a record YOU go get it, do not rely on the VA or anyone to do it. VA has periods like say thirty or sixty days before they look at your file again, and then sixty days they do and ohhhh the records did not come in, they rissue the letter and give themselves another thirty days, in the meantime you have a stroke waiting for them to get with it. I would just go to the doctor and say look it is my life here and I am in need of those records. Like some one said if you have to pay so be it and YOU get them and deliver them. Do not let them mail them. good luck Q

• HadIt.com Elder

I once had a DRO take nearly a year and a half to request a copy of my SSA records. I finally had to go to the SSA and get a letter stating my records were destroyed.

If the VA is requesting records, I would go to where they are and get a copy of it. I would than make copies and send a copy to the VA myself. If it's to far to drive there, you don't have a choice but wait and see how fast the wheels of government turn.

If there is anything that you can do, Do it. You may be supprized how many YEARS you can save waiting, just by getting what they use to delay your claim with and get it to them. If you live in the same city, hand carry that record to the RO if you can.

Any thing you send them, make sure you have copies and ALWAYS send it certified reciept requested.

Allan

Allan:

It's the other way around. I am talking about the SSA requesting records from the VA. please respond

That is why I recommend that you be the instigator. You need a record YOU go get it, do not rely on the VA or anyone to do it. VA has periods like say thirty or sixty days before they look at your file again, and then sixty days they do and ohhhh the records did not come in, they rissue the letter and give themselves another thirty days, in the meantime you have a stroke waiting for them to get with it. I would just go to the doctor and say look it is my life here and I am in need of those records. Like some one said if you have to pay so be it and YOU get them and deliver them. Do not let them mail them. good luck Q

So in essence, the VA does not look at documents as they come in--they have periodic reviews based on 30-60 days or whatever. Correct?? Here I thought I was expediting reviews by replying immediately

(at least during the past eight months), but learn it really doesn't matter because they aren't going to look at it (i.e., documents, forms, etc.) until the timelines discussed above arrive...

Someone in this thread posted:

" VA has periods like say thirty or sixty days before they look at your file again, and then sixty days they do and ohhhh the records did not come in," etc...

I think this is incorrect information and would like to know if anyone here has a rule or regulation to verify this.

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

I think that the VARO does use a suspense date while they wait for stuff and than get back to it. Who can really explain all the delays unless you figure that the VA is delaying on purpose?

I was told when i was waiting on my SMR's that they send off for the order and that they have 30 days to comply. If they dont get em they send another order for another 30 days. If they dont come in, they keep going with your claim without them. Heres what I found out about the suspense date from the iris.

"Thank you for your inquiry. At this time your claims are being worked on. The suspense date that they gave you is an internal date that we use to check on claims or rather follow up on them. It is not a date that means a claim will be completed on that date. It is what we use to follow up on the claim such as check to see if additional information has come in so that it can move to the next stage."

hope this helps

• HadIt.com Elder

>I am talking about the SSA requesting records from the VA

jmack,

what kind of info do you need from the Dr?

Any of your medical records you can get copies yourself from the VAMC.

Try sending the Dr A fax reminding him to fill it out, send a copy to the Directors office. You can get the team fax number by calling the VAMC.

They see so many vets it's highly likely you got spaced.

A good source for help, can be to go through the VAMC social worker or patient advocate to see if they can get the info for you, or make sure the form gets filled out and sent to you.

If they say two weeks, I would get on the horn after ten days and remind them. You can watch years pass waiting. And I mean alot of them by waiting for the VA to respond to anything.

Allan

Someone in this thread posted:

" VA has periods like say thirty or sixty days before they look at your file again, and then sixty days they do and ohhhh the records did not come in," etc...

I think this is incorrect information and would like to know if anyone here has a rule or regulation to verify this.

carlie

There is a sixty day response period -for the claimant-to a SOC-

the VA is proposing to drop that to 30 Days-

but I dont know wher this idea came from that you mentioned-

However they react as fast as they can upon receipt of a VCAA election form if the vet has stated they want their claim decided on what the VA already has.

What I mean by fast is that-I responed to a VCAA letter on 9-12-07 and made sure I put the claims person's initials

from right hand corner of their letter on the Priority mail envelope.

It went to the claims reps 2 days later and then in 3 weeks it went to a DRO.

I dont mean that decision will be fast- no one can predict that- but they do react to the VCAA election form.

The vet can ask for more time to get evidence but if the vet says they want the claim decided on what the VA has- there is no reason at this point for VA NOT to work on my claim.

My evidence was not read for 4 years because they did not send me the election form telling them to go ahead with the claim until this past August.