Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnia

Rate this question

dolfanbls

Question

I have submitted a claim for sleep apnea. I had the following service connected disabilities when I was discharged hypertensive vascular disease and bilateral plantarfacitis. While on active duty I strated having problems with my uvala swelling causing an airway obstuction. I had an episode of this swelling within the year of my discharge and had an emergency consult with the VA which fell 6 months of my 1 year of discharge. At the ENT apointment they said I had obstructive sleep apnia and scheduled me for an UP3 which consisted of having my uvala, tonsils, adnoids and soft pallet reduced. This cleared my problems for about 2 years. I had a sleep study conducted at the VA and they diagnosed me with OSA and put me on a CPAP which I have been useing for the past 2 years.

Can I expect this to be enough information or will I have to have a doctor write an evaluation in support of my claim.

Bob

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

I'm not one of the senior members here, but in my admittedly limited view you have enough information in your service medical records AND VA treatment records to support your claim. It was documented while on active duty and reappeared within 12 months of discharge. I suspect the real experts here will

have some explicit information for you.

Good luck!

• HadIt.com Elder

When working a VA claim it is sort of like fishing. Provide the info and see how the VA responds (bites). If you are denied they have to tell you in writing how to cure it.

Good Luck

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

I was having a hard time following your question. I am confused. You are saying you were diagnosed with Sleep Apnea while in the Navy, or did they control it with the ENT surgery? Were you ever given or prescribed a CPAP while in? I honestly believe you will need a medical opinion from a VA doctor stating that your Sleep Apnea, more likely than not was incurred in service to substantiate service connection. Other than that, I think you may get the big denial letter. Sleep Apnea is not a presumptive condition, so getting OSA within a year of getting out really means nothing. Get that medical opinion from the CPAP clinic at the VA and you will be in.......

Like Pete said see what bites. However, since sleep apnea is not presumptive you are going to need an IMO to tie your active duty occurances with your post service occurances and the diagnosed sleep apnea.

I agree with the last poster- you had a period of time free from any problems-thus the VA could say this was not a chronic condition-

I sure would get an independent medical opinion (IMO)if I were you- could this also possibly be secondary to your SC hypertensive vascular disease? a doctor could consider that potential of SC too-

An IMO from a non VA doctor has to follow a specific criteria which you can find under the search feature at top of the page.

If the criteria isnt followed the VA can easily disregard the opinion.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.