VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Depression And Newborn

Rate this topic

I've suffered from depression for years and three days ago my wife had a baby girl. Has anyone else ever experienced increased depression after their wife had a baby. I know this should be a happy time, but with severe depression this great event doesn't seem very good. I feel robbed of this wonderful time because of my depression. Any suggestions since every thing the VA docs have done hasn't worked

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Founder

i'm afraid i don't have any adivce, but i did want to send you my support. this must be a very painful experience for you. keep up with your meds and your therapy, if you aren't in therapy you may want to call your local veterans center and see if there is someone you can see just to get you through this tough period. hang in brother

• HadIt.com Elder

It's normal for a man to feel depressed over a new baby. It's just that it's not socially sanctioned to feel this way! Woman often feel depressed too: post partum.

I know a man personally: a professional therapist who's baby girl is 6 weeks old. He's feeling like he just needs some buddy time! He wants to be with male friends-doing guy things!

Let's face it, other than going out to the grocery and drug store, the mother and baby don't NEED you right now; they are a self contained unit. Whether nursing or bottle feeding, Mama and bay are IN LOVE. This is the way it's supposed to be. The man has to take a back seat to nature's design - that baby be nourished by the mother. As the baby gets a little older, like a couple of months, Dad will play a bigger role holding and playing with baby and giving Mom a break . . .

If I were you, I'd think about getting OUT OF THE HOUSE and getting some FRESH AIR! They'll be happy to see you when you get home with the smell of Autumn in your hair. Get outside and lie in the grass for 15 minutes every hour . . . When you can muster it, go for a walk or call up a buddy: watch a football game together, do some outdoor activity.

Hang in there Dad, and Congratulations ;-)

• HadIt.com Elder

Congrats on your new baby. I promise you that your depression is going to be replaced by joy cause I truly believe that children are our greatest gifts. I think that the new addition has rocked your wold and that for many of us myself included it is very difficult to deal with change.

Hang in there I am sure that you will feel better.