Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Db2, Secondary Hypertension, Heart Disease

Rate this question

stillhere

Question

I was diagnosed with hypertension sec to DB2 in March of 05 but rated as non-compresensable. Does that mean 0% Also I filed a NOD for my heart condition and was granted 60% in 06 but they still did not break out the hypertension for a rate. Did I have to ask for that?

Thanks, Stillhere

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

According to the regulations, There is no zero percent for Hypertension. When it is associated with heart disease it is to be rated and evaluated separatly. For example you are 30 percent heart disease, you should be rated additionally for hypertension.

Now if your BP readings are below 160 and 100 on a predominant basis, They may try to zero percent it.

I am rated 30 percent hot heart disease and an additional 10 percent for Hypertension.

Here are the regs: Pay attention to note 3.

Diseases of the Arteries and Veins

7101 Hypertensive vascular disease (hypertension and isolated systolic hypertension):

Diastolic pressure predominantly 130 or more 60

Diastolic pressure predominantly 120 or more 40

Diastolic pressure predominantly 110 or more, or; systolic pressure predominantly 200 or more 20

Diastolic pressure predominantly 100 or more, or; systolic pressure predominantly 160 or more, or; minimum evaluation for an individual with a history of diastolic pressure predominantly 100 or more who requires continuous medication for control 10

Note (1): Hypertension or isolated systolic hypertension must be confirmed by readings taken two or more times on at least three different days. For purposes of this section, the term hypertension means that the diastolic blood pressure is predominantly 90mm. or greater, and isolated systolic hypertension means that the systolic blood pressure is predominantly 160mm. or greater with a diastolic blood pressure of less than 90mm.

Note (2): Evaluate hypertension due to aortic insufficiency or hyperthyroidism, which is usually the isolated systolic type, as part of the condition causing it rather than by a separate evaluation.

Note (3): Evaluate hypertension separately from hypertensive heart disease and other types of heart disease.

Edited by jbasser

• HadIt.com Elder

Since it was not mentioned, and is rated seperately, you should question the 0% rating in writing. I don't know if this can be considered to be a "CUE" or not, but it sure looks like an error by the VA.

I was diagnosed with hypertension sec to DB2 in March of 05 but rated as non-compresensable. Does that mean 0% Also I filed a NOD for my heart condition and was granted 60% in 06 but they still did not break out the hypertension for a rate. Did I have to ask for that?

Thanks, Stillhere

I was not rated 0% the decision said:

Evaluation of DB2 with hypertension, which is currently 10 percent disabling, is increased to 20% effective March 05.

The examiner diagnosed hpertension secondary to DB2. A noncompensable evaluation for hypertension is assigned unless diastolicpressure is predominantly 100 or more; or unless pressure is predominantly 160 or more; or unless the veteran has a history od diastolic pressure predominantly 100 or more requiring continous medication for control.

Hypertension is evaluated with your SC DB2 because the evidence shows this disability to be noncompensable.

My point is this was done in March of 05 and the regs changed in I believe 06. Should I send in a claim to have the hypertension rated on its own? I am on 2 meds now to control my blood pressure.

Is there a CUE here?

Thanks for all the help.

Good luck on your claims!

Stillhere