Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Lost My File!

Rate this question

JENNABEAN

Question

Hi! I just found this forum today and I have been reading the posts for the last few hours but I haven't found a situation quite like mine. I am completley dumbfounded at what the VA is doing to me. I was medically discharged from the Air Force on Jan 16, 2007. I filed my claim before my date of seperation, and it has been on file with the VA since 17 Jan 07. I started calling the VA once a month after I filed my claim and was continuously told my claim would be completed in 6-9 months. Once the 5 month mark hit and I was told my claim had not been STARTED yet, I began losing my patience. I called at least once a week to check on the status and was told something different each time.

About 6 weeks ago, I got my congressman involved, and when I contact his office all I am told is "we've put in an inquiry." Well, that's nice...but it doesn't let me know anything. So today I called the 800 number AGAIN, and I was talking to a woman who had been working in the Nashville office for the last 30 years. She had the nastiest attitude, but she knew her stuff. It turns out my file has not been seen since JANUARY 29th. No one has the file...no one is working on the file...no one knows where the heck the file is! And I have been calling at least once a month for the first 5 months, then once a week after that...and now several times a week...and no one noticed this before today!!!!!!!!!!!!! I started crying my eyes out because I have NO money, and I cannot work. My husband works for the state and he is working a second job at Ruby Tuesdays so we can TRY to make ends meet.

Anyway, I asked the lady what the heck I am supposed to do since no one knows anything about my file....she said that I need to come in to the office and ask them if they can REFILE!! I just don't get it. I NEED that money...I CAN'T work. I have a loose screw in my spine that is eroding away the bones..and depression, and fibromyalgia, and some female stuff on top of that. I have two sons (ages 3 and 4), and I can't even pick the little one up...I can't go out shopping without my walker...I am only 25! Anyway, I am overtired and frustrated and depressed, and I am wondering if I am going to have to wait the 6-9 months all over again when I refile? What can I do about the fact that they lost my file in JANUARY and didn't bother to tell me or ask me to refile.....is there legal action that I can take? Please help me.

Jenna

• Answers 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Ah, thank you! I didn't think they actually made every vet go to the hospital to fill out paperwork just so they can make an appointment. I will call them first thing Monday morning. I don't know why I was unaware of the fact that you had to fill out eligibility for treatment paperwork for your mandantory C&P exam. I just figured if you HAVE to go, then you automatically are elligible. Hmmm...

On another note, I got this email from the Atlanta VARO today:

"Dear Ms. Paulk,

Please accept our appoligies for the delay in the processing of your claim. The Atlanta office currently has sent you a VCAA letter requesting information needed on November 14, 2007. The Atlanta office will need to transfer your file to the Regional Office in Tenn so they can order an examination for your requested service connected disabilities. Please forward any requested information to:

Department of Veteran Affairs

Regional Office

110 9th Ave., South

Nashville, TN 37203

Sincerely,

Thomas O. Sanders/dyg

Veterans Service Center Manager"

Now does this mean that even though my file is still in Atlanta, they want me to send my info to Nashville? And if my file is still in Atlanta, what are they going to do with my information when I send it to the Nashville office? I don't want it to get lost because there is not a file.