Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Loss Of Use

Rate this question

JayBrown1

Question

Can anyone tell me for VA purposes the definition of Loss of Use? I was told if you had two major joints with extreme ankylosis then the effected foots would be considered Loss of Use, Is this true?

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Jay, here is what it says.

§ 4.63 Loss of use of hand or foot.

Loss of use of a hand or a foot, for the purpose of special monthly compensation, will be held to exist when no effective function remains other than that which would be equally well served by an amputation stump at the site of election below elbow or knee with use of a suitable prosthetic appliance. The determination will be made on the basis of the actual remaining function of the hand or foot, whether the acts of grasping, manipulation, etc., in the case of the hand, or of balance and propulsion, etc., in the case of the foot, could be accomplished equally well by an amputation stump with prosthesis.

(a) Extremely unfavorable complete ankylosis of the knee, or complete ankylosis of 2 major joints of an extremity, or shortening of the lower extremity of 31/2inches (8.9 cms.) or more, will be taken as loss of use of the hand or foot involved.

(:D Complete paralysis of the external popliteal nerve (common peroneal) and consequent, footdrop, accompanied by characteristic organic changes including trophic and circulatory disturbances and other concomitants confirmatory of complete paralysis of this nerve, will be taken as loss of use of the foot.

[29 FR 6718, May 22, 1964, as amended at 43 FR 45349, Oct. 2, 1978]

Jbasser

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

Loss of use of a lower or upper limb is present if it serves no more purpose that if you were using an artifical limb.........

I think the answer to your question is that if it is completly frozen of locked into a fixed position with no motion capability.

• HadIt.com Elder

What if the VAMC has put you into a brace that holds your foot/ankle rigid, where there is no movement of ANY of the various joints below your knee?

In other words, what if you get around the same as if you had an amputation below the knee and a prothesis?

Would this be considered "loss of use of"?

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph

Greetings,

I am rated Loss of Use of bi-lateral feet. I use a cane to walk as difficult as it is, however due to my bi-later foot issues I was granted loss of use. Without the braces (given to me by my foot doctor at the VAMC) I have epsiodes of falling.

What made the difference for me was when I was issued braces for support. Please note when I asked for increase for my bi-lateral foot problems I was allready rated at 50% for the feet so the only next step was 100% due to loss of use. I didn't even ask the VARO for that rating. When I received my award letter along with my other issues they gave it to me, along with auto allowence, housing grant (which I have used) it was a real blessing. I hope this helps.

Bound4Heaven