VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Just Applied For Ss Disability Benefits.

Rate this question

luv2fly

Question

Hi......i was very recently awarded 100% P/T for PTSD so yesterday (Nov. 21st) i went to my local SS office and applied in person for benefits.You CAN apply online but eventually you'll need to see someone with a heart-beat anyway coz SS wants to see an original or certified copy of your birth certificate so i figured what the heck i'll just go and get it over with.The SS person you deal with makes up a file for you so bring any relevant/pertinent information you wish SS doctors to see in your SS file even before they contact VA and your doctors.They'll make copies of things you wish to submit but it's a faster process if you have your own copies in-hand as i did upon arrival at SS.They ask detailed questions like "what are the side-effects" of each of the meds you take and not just which meds you take so be prepared for that.The gal at SS that took my info and made up my file was kinda crafty sorta like trying to catch me in some sort of lie or deception by asking me if VA had offered me any sort of vocational rehab even tho i'd already told her twice in less than 5 minutes i was VA rated P/T, but i kept patience thru it all and got finished in about an hour with all the questions she threw at me.I also signed 5 release forms for VA and doctors to give SS my personal records.

Afterwards i was told by the same gal that SS takes between 4 and 5 months to render a decision and and that SS does NOT pay me for the first 6 months of disability so no retroactive $$ there.Good luck to all and have a Happy Thanksgiving!! David

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks for your reply Pete53.

Would you have any information on the following:

Question: A 100% P/T veteran cannot work, or as ruled by VA, receive 'earned income'. But can a vet invest in the stock market? If I set aside a small portion of my monthly, to buy penny stocks to offset inflation, am I breaking the VA rules & regulations? Is there a limit on this investing?

In my opinion, it can't be different than keeping a savings account drawing interest. But, I don't know how the VA feels about this.

• HadIt.com Elder

You can invest if you have money to do it. The VA is talking about actual work for hire same as Social Security for SSD. Hope this helps.

There is a statute dealing with this in title 38 I believe, but, in general, stocks are not considered "earned income". I make a decent amount of money from stocks and it goes under "capital gains" on my tax forms. Don't take this as a guarantee though, as my wife is the veteran, so I haven't had to look into the issue from a VA standpoint.

"There is a statute dealing with this in title 38 I believe, but, in general, stocks are not considered "earned income". I make a decent amount of money from stocks and it goes under "capital gains" on my tax forms. Don't take this as a guarantee though, as my wife is the veteran, so I haven't had to look into the issue from a VA standpoint."

If you know of the statute in 38CFR I'd appreciate it. In your case, it sounds like you are the one filing 'capital gains' tax as opposed to your wife. Big difference.

Thanks.

Johnny

Earned income is WAGES. You can have investment income and rental income. Your spouse can also have earned income. You can in most cases even drawn from a disability pension.

SE

"Earned income is WAGES. You can have investment income and rental income. Your spouse can also have earned income. You can in most cases even drawn from a disability pension."

SE

Thanks SEJones. I've been sweating bullets. I purchased some scrawny nickel and dime gold mining stocks back in 2003, and since gold has topped $500/ounce, this baby looks like it's going to the moon. I'd hate like hell to see it worth so much, and not be able to redeem the shares in a couple of years. PHEW!

I owe you one.

Johnny