Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Disgusted

Rate this question

mssoup1

Question

I am thoroughy disgusted. My husband had a C & P exam for ED. This exam was performed by the general C & P examiner and not anyone in urology. No more than they did for the exam, I would not even call it an exam. Well, I received the C & P notes. The more I read, the madder I got. Not one thing he stated in the notes was correct. In fact, there is no way he could have even reviewed my husbands medical files. He may have glanced quickly at a few pages, but I'm reluctant to even say that was done.

The claim was for ED secondary to his service connected meds for PTSD. His records contain numerous statements from his psychiatrist that a given prescription she is giving him has a risk for ED. Well, the C & P notes first states that my husband is service connected for GU, but nothing about being service connected for PTSD. He is not service connected for GU. He also made numerous comments about my husbands prostrate gland problems. My husband does not and has never been treated for any prostrate problems. He indicated that one of the medications that we had stated caused the ED was given to him for prostrate problems. Again, he has no prostrate problems. His psychiatrist gave him this medication for his PTSD symptoms and is documented. He also stated that Dr. ?, his urologist, prescribed this medication for him. Number one, this Dr. ? that he referred to is his psychiatrist, not a urologist. He doesn't even see a urologist. He finally stated that the medication in question can cause ED, but since it was prescribed for prostrate problems, that the ED was not due to meds for PTSD. What a crock. He even stated that this was confirmed by their urology department. How could it be confirmed by their urology department when my husband has never been seen by them.

I am in the process of disputing this doctors entire report with factual and documented information to send to the VARO before they have a chance to deny his claim based on this inaccurate C & P report. I also want this information relayed to someone at the VAMC to show them the type of exam reports he is giving veterans and the type of doctor they have giving C & P exams. I am not sure who at the VAMC I should go to. Our patient advocate is not the person. We have dealt with her before and she doesn't seem to want to help. She wants you to handle the problems yourself. So, who should we go to at the VAMC to report this. My husband is not the only one who has complained about this doctors reports.

Thanks for any guidance you can give me.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

MS, I would suggest that you make several copies of your complaint. Send them all certified (or RR requested) to the Patient Rep, the VAMC Director, the VARO SMC (Svc Center Mgr), and file TWO copies. One for the file, and one for possible future action thru your Congressman and/or Senator.

I am in the proces of filing a complaint against my last C&P doctor, before I have seen his report. I am highlighting the C&P worksheet; the description of the potential problems from Merck; the description from other spine sites, of how an IVDS examination should be done;the VAs own recommendation that an IVDS C&P should be done by both an Orthopedist and a Neurologist; not an Internist who couldn't even use a goniometer properly.

Since none of the three you should send the package to are MDs, (usually), attach as many references you can find, from reputable sources, to the letter.

Good luck.

Edited by wallyg

Thanks for all of our responses. Should I send in all of my complaints against the incompetent exam, prior to them making a decision on the claim. I would like to do it ahead of time to ward off another denial and then have the paperwork start all over again. Also, what about the examiner hugging me and telling me how sorry he was for treating me the way he did. My husband was standing right next to us and saw and heard him do it. Can this be used against him? If he wasn't so beligerent and angry with us, why would he do that, so it goes to show, also, that his attitude was not that expected from an M.D.

Again, thanks for your help.

Mssoup1

sledge here,

First I would like to comment on this,

(what about the examiner hugging me and telling me how sorry he was for treating me the way he did.)

My experience implies that the examiners will try to buddy-up at the end of a stupid examination because they are going to write a stupid report and they don't want you to come back and shoot them.

From my own experiences,

your records are mixed-up with another vet's.

You will 'HAVE TO' go to the RO and straighten out the file during your personal examination of the C-File or you can expect the RO to continue with 'nothing' examinations by less-than-qualified dummies.

(My claim went nowhere for 25 years because the RO DAV (I'm a life member) refused to read my file.)

The RO jerks will read one C&P report file and place the results of the examination in somebody else's C-File.

Until you examine the C- File yourself they will not pull out the erroneous records.

And future decisions will mimic the last one, you lose.

The RO folks get paid for shuffling papers, not making accurate decisions.

Forget the political crap that congress and the VA tell anyone that will listen.

They lie.

sledge

• HadIt.com Elder

The complaint against the 'hug' would fall under 'Sexual Harassment', and should be dealt with separately. Your best bet there, would be to start with the Patient Affairs Representative; and let that individual know that you wish to formalize the complaint.

• In Memoriam

If the doctor would have tried to hug me there is no telling what I would have done to him. I understand your anger.

Problem is that this doctor was trying to say that your anger was because of your own personal problems, and that it was not concerned with your husbands actual conditions. This would get anybodies goat. You can not succumb to these tactics.

If you complaint about sexual harassment you will be fighting your own claim and not your husbands. This rat sounds like he has been in the system for many years, and he has learned his own set of operating procedures. I think that I would have taught him what HI means.

Fall back and regroup. This is my advise.

Edited by Stretch

I think we will personally take this C & P exam report directly to the RO, but I'm not sure that will help unless we find someone there who has the power to do something. We've gone before to get a problem straightened out, but it was as though we never even went. Also, this same doctor gave my husband a C & P exam for his skin and he has yet to release anything on this. I think the VAMC wants him to retire, but they know it would be hard to find someone to take his place. The whole VAMC seems to be losing doctors and can't seem to get any others who want to work there. If I jump on the band wagon too quick disputing this claim, who knows what the C & P report for his skin may contain.

After I get the report on the skin problem, I think this is when I make a trip to the VAMC and raise more H??l than they have ever seen. The patient advocate is of no help at all. I am going to ask to speak directly with the Director. This kind of abuse to the veterans has happened too many times, especially by this doctor to let it keep going. He thinks that when you come in for an exam, that you are aasking for something he doesn't think you deserve. Who does he think he is that he can make this decision, expecially when he can't even write up a competent and accurate report?

Mad, yes. When I have all the records necessary to get a claim approved and the RO requests an exam from such an incompetent doctor and then use this report to make their decision, disregarding everything else, yes I get mad.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Mssoup1