Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Recent Voc Rehab Experience

Rate this question

P31415926

Question

Looking back on my experience raises questions.

50% SC, 47 y/o Serious Employment Handicap, offered by ch 31 to attend a school 30 mi away for a professional cert. I moved to the county where school is located, rent + ut increases to $950 from $600. I slowly bleed my savings to pay for this while living in poverty. I also take out $1800 in student loans. Oh btw, no laptop, printer, etc like some think is guaranteed. My laptop request including email from teacher regarding computer classwork was refused.

Finished cert in one year, no jobs in this field. School books are 3 years old which made it impossible to even practice the work, so the gov't didn't even get what they paid for, let alone the student. The material was outdated bigtime.

Summary: I still have the employment handicap, I'm out over $4k, student loans have come due, not qualified in this field, now taking a job as entry level ____ to survive. I'm worse off than before I started the program. They switched my case manager in the middle of the school year to one 200 miles away and out of state - who has a less than stellar record of answering phone calls or emails.

I don't think this was the rehabilitation that was intended- what happened here? They are itching to close out my file as soon as I take any low end job - is that it? Am I done?

I'm trying to keep a positive attitude while the ch 31 people are playing some kind of poker game, not showing their hand or the opportunities available. Thanks

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

If you are not working presently- since they said you have a serious employment handicap- have you applied for TDIU (comp at the 100% rate?)

also you might be eligible for SSA disability benefits too- you can collect both with no offset-

(SSI is different)

My husband was Chapter 31 and they tried to lower his comp because they thought a few college credits turned him into a rocket scientist-

then again you do seem to have an entry level job lined up-

but if the VA should declare you at any point 100% P & T- due to service-(or even NSC) and if you still have a balance on those students loans -make sure the student loan people get a copy of the P & T 100% award and ask them to waive the balance as you are unemployable.

My husband had a small student loan after 2 years of Voc Rehab and then he had a major CVA.

A VA doctor had no problem filling out the form that said he was 100% P & T due to the stroke and the loan balance was waived.

His Voc Rehab records were part of the VA's determination to eventually give him 100% SC for PTSD-

he had documented needs for accommodations etc-and could not handle the big ticking exam clocks (he thought they were land mines from Vietnam-)

I regret that Voc Rehab does not include more positive assistance in actually getting a job.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Thank you for the kind words of encouragement.

I haven't worked in over 3 years, don't know much about TDIU, being 50%SC never figured it applied.

I just see taking this entry level job allows ch 31 to close the books when we never accomplished anything except my going into debt. I appreciate the oportunity to participate in the program, but it ended up being a huge waste of time and money - for both the VA and myself.

I guess I'm preaching to the choir here. I encourage everyone to know as much as you can about CH 31 benefits before you go and meet with a case manager, in my case he wouldn't tell me what educational opportunities were available except in very vague and general terms. It was an obvious game of hide the information. The case manager picked the course of study and I just went along with it. I'm just now finding out I could have pursued a master's degree if I provided sufficient justification for the end result of a good in-demand job.

If I knew then, what I know now........

I'm a little confused. When I went through the voc rehab program the va paid my tuition, books, supplies and gave me a stipen which included a supplement for dependants. I'm trying to figure out how and why you took out a student loan. If you needed extra money for what ever you could have taken out an interest free loan and have a monthly deduction from your compensation.

If your professor had a requirement that you need a computer for his class, it needed to be in his course outline, you can and should have recieved a computer. Mine came from Dell in the mail.

If these things are not true the program has certainly changed. Abe

• HadIt.com Elder

P314, I hope things work out and do follow through with Bertas thoughts, she's caring, clear and experienced. I HIGHLY credit her advice and support in my recent rating achievment. Thank heavens for Hadit.

Another vocab rehab inquiry for Hadit

My issues:

Few years back, went through vocab rehab contractor evaluation, insulting and one of the longest days of my life. Afterwards, ushered through VA assembly line aka speed date 'counseling', given a 'do it yerself packet' don't call us, we won't call you. Super stressed, I let it go. Now submitted for mdd rating increase, so I can apply for TDIU. Am concerned if my vocab rehab set aside will weigh negative for TDIU application. Haven't been able to work since discharge due to my disabilities, mdd mostly. Occasional jobs now, well under SGA.

My questions; ??

Should I be concerned about the effects vocab rehab 'set aside' on TDIU request?

Is it necessary to restart the VocabRehab?

I'm depressed&anxious, get VA counseling, no meds, SC lumbar,feet,hands,leg edema. SC MDD.

A tryin' hard to make it here! cg

Edited by cowgirl

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!

• HadIt.com Elder

My voc rehab couselor was in a wheelchair and almost a quad. I guess they drag him out to make the vets who are not that disabled feel like they should just "get a job". I was asking for the quality of life program to buy me a cheap quitar and they would not do it. They wanted me to prove this would make me better. I told them to shove it. Maybe I will ask for a computer since they like to buy these for people. Being P&T they treat you like a write off and don't want to invest a dime in you. I hate being treated like a begger.

The "quad guy tactic" might work on vets who have a physical disability, but not on vets with a mental disability, which is a different ball game entirely.

-- John D.

70% TDIU/P&T

Army - RVN - 1969-70 (10th Cav/4th ID, II Corps RVN)

USCG - Galveston, TX - 1976-78 (USCGC Valiant, WMEC 621)