Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Travel Board Hearing

Rate this question

admiral7

Question

Recieved a letter today stating my Travel Board hearing has been scheduled for Feb.5th 08 at the Waco office.I requested this hearing 9/03 and it finally happenes after more than 4 years.I am hoping we don't have icey roads then as it is a 3 1/2 hour drive for me.Very nervous but anxious to finally get this over with.I feel that I have more than enough evidence on my side but we are dealing with a very adversarial VA.If by chance I still fail to convince them I will go ahead with a lawyer as the SO I now have has proven to be useless.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Admiral:

I have followed you claim for several years on Hadit and I wish you well. Please take someone close to you to the hearing it will make it easier. Although it is recorded and on TV it is very informal and they are nice. You might consider note cards to say what you want and even a checklist to make sure you talk about the points that you want to make.

Even though your SO is worthless there should be someone who is better to help at the Hearing. I went to a hearing that was supposed to start at 8:30 AM but really started about 9:45. You might consider driving down and staying at a motel near the VA. If you have not been to the RO in Waco if you come the day before drive over and see it.

Good Luck

Good advice from Pete- I would definitely have to stay overnight in Buffalo if I ever had to make that long trip for a hearing-

It pays to have your evidence organized too- in Manila folders with a separate list as to what is in each folder so you can pull out what you need easily.

The hearing officer is surely a vet too and I have heard many times that they appreciate a vet being willing to have a hearing one to one-

it can help clarify the claim and puts a face on the claim too.

Your reps should have someone there in your behalf.

A higher level rep than the regular one you have.

It is good to focus too on something you could do after the hearing- to relieve all that stress-a fancy meal, or a good movie-something to look forward to after this is over.

But you will do fine-I am sure!

The best advise has already been given. go the day before and look things over-you know kinda like doing a prep the battlefield thing. Have your evidence orgainzed. The hearing officer has or should have already reviewed your claim indepth. Using the hearing to provide new evidence if you have any. If you have already provided your arguments in your VA 9 (you should have done this), simply present a brief summary of your arguments for as I said the hearing officer should already be aware of the reasons you disagree with the decision. Try to put a new twist to your arguments based upon your research you have done on your claim todate. You will do just fine. You may be nervous the first 5 mins or so but the hearing is really relaxed, the hearing officer treats you with compassion and respect. Nothing like you have experienced todate with your dealings with the VA.

• In Memoriam

I have been to two Video-conference hearings at the BVA. I took my lap-top with all the information in it. I don't see why you couldn't use a lap-top at a travel board hearing. I had backup hard copy of all information also.

Video-conference hearing are scheduled much quicker than TBH (travel board hearings). Scheduling for my Video hearings were within 1 month of request. I have heard that the TBH sometimes can take a year for scheduling. As far as I can see, they are the same thing.

Don't forget to mention your medication side-effects, if there are any.