VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Very Important Legislation

Rate this question

sixthscents

Question

Look this is a LARGE bill but there's a BUNCH of very important changes being made to disability determination, PAST Physical Evaluation Board Decisions (backdated to Sept 11, 2001), Concurrent Receipt for TDIU vets rated at 100% schedular or TDIU backdated to Dec 2004... it goes on and on.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?t...;bill=h110-1585

I think all vets should read this bill that WILL be signed into law very soon. It's just waiting for the Presidents signature and he's already said he will sign it.

Scan the ENTIRE bill, and look for ANYTHING that says veteran. Further look thru the amendments, and look at the stuff there. Seriously this is some really good news for some recently discharged vets - back to 2001, and veterans getting out now.

There was even a section on the social security quarters of veterans...

Honestly it's simply too much to summarize but I have watched this bill all year and it's finally going thru. I suggest that all veterans should read it as it applies.... The changes are drastic, and will be very very important to many newer veterans - as well as older ones (like the concurrent receipt - I think thats actually an amendment but it was approved)

It's important to read the amendment to bills since often they contain as much or more significant information. Again, I cannot stress enough that I think all veterans should READ this bill. If you have any questions ask.. hopefully I'll be on to answer them.

Also, read the entire sections that apply, the summary doesnt explain enough...

Edited by sixthscents

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Look this is a LARGE bill but there's a BUNCH of very important changes being made to disability determination, PAST Physical Evaluation Board Decisions (backdated to Sept 11, 2001), Concurrent Receipt for TDIU vets rated at 100% schedular or TDIU backdated to Dec 2004... it goes on and on.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?t...;bill=h110-1585

I think all vets should read this bill that WILL be signed into law very soon. It's just waiting for the Presidents signature and he's already said he will sign it.

Scan the ENTIRE bill, and look for ANYTHING that says veteran. Further look thru the amendments, and look at the stuff there. Seriously this is some really good news for some recently discharged vets - back to 2001, and veterans getting out now.

There was even a section on the social security quarters of veterans...

Honestly it's simply too much to summarize but I have watched this bill all year and it's finally going thru. I suggest that all veterans should read it as it applies.... The changes are drastic, and will be very very important to many newer veterans - as well as older ones (like the concurrent receipt - I think thats actually an amendment but it was approved)

It's important to read the amendment to bills since often they contain as much or more significant information. Again, I cannot stress enough that I think all veterans should READ this bill. If you have any questions ask.. hopefully I'll be on to answer them.

Also, read the entire sections that apply, the summary doesnt explain enough...

Both houses knew it would be vetoed that is why it went forward. They simply wanted to stand up in front of America and say look at what I tried to do for the troops. It was all a simple political stunt. jmho

OK after a bit of research I can see where he has issued a "pocket veto"... over freaking Iraq bull. However he states he is "willing to work with Congress after the new year"... sorry about not catching the veto but it hasnt showed up on Thomas or any of the bill site I use yet. Further, it's is questionable of the constituionality of his "pocket veto".

In any case... Bush is going to HAVE to sign this eventually in SOME form and he isnt complainng about the VA stuff... Thats not at issue, at least not openly. I suspect there will be a bit of back room juggling about the Iraq issue and it will get passed. If not I suspect Congress will delay any new "emergency stop gap funding" for any of the other programs associated with the bill, and there are a BUNCH.

Nope this bill isn't going away, and Bush is going to have to do something with it.

Both houses knew it would be vetoed that is why it went forward. They simply wanted to stand up in front of America and say look at what I tried to do for the troops. It was all a simple political stunt. jmho

No Bush gave no indication there was a problem with the resolved bill until a week ago. Until then he was reportedly going to sign it. IN May he had problem but they were resolved.. thats why I didnt catch the veto until it was brought to my attention. His intent a week ago was to sign it... now this. Supposedly they had stated a concern, but "it became clearer in the last week that this was a problem", quoting his own staff.

And I dont think these numbers are a stunt..

House - 397 ayes (92%)

Senate - 92 ayes (also 92%)

Short and sweet, this thing is going to either get amended and signed, or his pocket veto will be constitutionally challenged since the senate is in session (that may happen in any case)... but in the end this bill is going to be law. Again I suggest that all vets read it.

I understand that some of you are "disenchanted" with the government... heck so am I, but common sense says this thing will go thru with the veteran issues intact, since he hasnt made a fuss over them in his speech, just the Iraq funds...

No Bush gave no indication there was a problem with the resolved bill until a week ago. Until then he was reportedly going to sign it. IN May he had problem but they were resolved.. thats why I didnt catch the veto until it was brought to my attention. His intent a week ago was to sign it... now this. Supposedly they had stated a concern, but "it became clearer in the last week that this was a problem", quoting his own staff.

And I dont think these numbers are a stunt..

House - 397 ayes (92%)

Senate - 92 ayes (also 92%)

Short and sweet, this thing is going to either get amended and signed, or his pocket veto will be constitutionally challenged since the senate is in session (that may happen in any case)... but in the end this bill is going to be law. Again I suggest that all vets read it.

I understand that some of you are "disenchanted" with the government... heck so am I, but common sense says this thing will go thru with the veteran issues intact, since he hasnt made a fuss over them in his speech, just the Iraq funds...

Hey Bob - not disenchanted with this government. Just know how they play on the hill behind the scenes whether it be Bush, Clinton or Truman and the 43rd congress or the 300th congress. Actually I find it quite entertaining how they play these things out.

Hell I really love the VA system as it was designed. It is one helluva disability system. I do not know of any other that would send your kids to college, attempt to retrain you, rebuild your house or help buy you a new truck. However, I am very disappointed with how the political process and the desire for power influences the VA management implementation of the process. The day to day VA worker for the most part is very vet friendly and will bust their butts to help. Now there are a few of them, as in any job enviorment that are just plain lazy worthless dogs.

Yes you are right my friend, this is a very vet friendly bill.

Glad to see you post ever now and then.