Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Wrong Envelope!

Rate this question

OIF 03

Question

I made a post in sucess stories, (3)which was a mistake because I only meant to post once, anyway another member suggested that I post here to get a better response from some of you elders out there. I was denied all three of my claims today and I am devastated. PTSD, Back, and Tinitus. I am a Iraq vet that was in Baghdad from 03 to 04 when all the poop was starting to hit the fan. I have obviously learned from this site that my first recourse is NOD which I will file tommorow. The specifics of my claim are on the success stories site but I will write them hear so I can reach as many people as possible. My PTSD was denied for these reasons

1. I failed to check off the box that said that I had physcological problems when we first came back.

2. I was previously treated for depression prior to ever going over to Iraq

3. My accounts of my combat were vague according to them and they can't be substantiated

4. I never received any combat action badges thus I was never in combat.

The ironic part is that some of the same soldiers that were next to me when the bullets were flying have been compensated, and the VA doctor that examined me diagnosed me with PTSD along with a private doctor that I have been seeing on and off since my return!!! I am very confused and hurt by there decision because it makes what I went through come into question and I can't have that. Any help in how I should attack my appeal would be greatly appreciated. OIF 03

• Answers 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

1. I failed to check off the box that said that I had physcological problems when we first came back. What type of idiotic box are they talking about? I would say yep you are right you idiot. I did not check it off because I did not have them then but I do now and have had since XXXXXX.

2. I was previously treated for depression prior to ever going over to Iraq. Yes Mr. idiot I was depressed cause I was away from my family; girl friend left me; or my cat died. However, you idiot, both the VA and my private doc say that since XXXXX until now I have and continue to suffer from PTSD.

3. My accounts of my combat were vague according to them and they can't be substantiated. Think out the situation. Re-write your stressors in a logical and artictulate manner. They must be robust and emcompass the situation as though it is happening at the time the rater is reading them. But keep in mind the person on the other end only understands at about the 3rd grade level. Make sure you include the exact unit of assignment, any mission names etc.... Get letters from the buddies you spoke of. In their letters they should describe the incidents in the same manner as you have and include the fact that you were there along side them. If these same stressors were the reason for their approved VA claims I would ask that they say something to the effect of I am a XXX percent PTSD disabled veteran based upon these incidents

4. I never received any combat action badges thus I was never in combat. Combat - no combat - does not make any difference. PTSD does not require combat. It only requires specific stressors that the doc says is causing your current PTSD.

Overall recommendation is that you seek and find you a good service officer. Wait a little bit before you submit your NOD. You have one year from the date of the rating to file the NOD so don't rush it. Sit back, smoke, joke and develop your claim with the evidence needed to succeed. Don't worry about what some idiot rater may think. Your service to this country is one of the most valuable and rewarding things that you will ever do in you lifetime. No matter the period, war or peace, your service to this country is supported and appreciated by millions upon millions of people. Hang in there and stick around on Hadit for there will be tons of great advice given to you which you can use to develop you claim before submitting your NOD. Welcome home and welcome to Hadit.

Edited by Ricky

• HadIt.com Elder

OIF:

Don't beat yourself up. What has happened to you has happened to a lot of us who started our claims with good intentions and honesty trying to do it the right way. You have learned as did a lot of others that the VA is not your friend and that they do not help they try to roadblock claims.

After you have a chance to cool down start your claim. I am not so sure that you should not refill the sheet as corrected but use all the information including dates that was ok. I would resubmit and ask the DRO to reconsider using corrected information and anything else you have to support your claim.

Good Luck

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

OIF,

Do not let this get you down. It is easier said than done sometimes. If you try to remember that this is a game to VA that might help. Their job is to give you the least amount possible. Your job is to get what you are entitled to. As Ricky a good SO is a great help. They can get through some of the red tape faster than you can. I recommend the State Veterans SO. I do not know if you have one that is local or not. I live in Jacksonville N.C. and we have a local one because we are where Camp Lejeune is. My State VSO has been very helpful. They are paid by the county where I live so they tend to go the extra mile to help you where as a Volunteer VSO may not. DJ 8 :)

I wish I could help you, but all I have are words of encouragement. Hang in there. Your initial denial is a slap in the face, but you will beat this. I know what PTSD can do to you and how something like this make is worse, but remember to take care of yourself and take things one day at a time. People here at Hadit will help you as much as possible, and we are glad you are here.

OIF,

Do not let this get you down. It is easier said than done sometimes. If you try to remember that this is a game to VA that might help. Their job is to give you the least amount possible. Your job is to get what you are entitled to. As Ricky a good SO is a great help. They can get through some of the red tape faster than you can. I recommend the State Veterans SO. I do not know if you have one that is local or not. I live in Jacksonville N.C. and we have a local one because we are where Camp Lejeune is. My State VSO has been very helpful. They are paid by the county where I live so they tend to go the extra mile to help you where as a Volunteer VSO may not. DJ 8 :)

Dale Jr. 8,

I will look into a state VSO today because I am meeting with my VA rep at the vet center to plan a course of action.

Thanks for the reply

OIF 03

I wish I could help you, but all I have are words of encouragement. Hang in there. Your initial denial is a slap in the face, but you will beat this. I know what PTSD can do to you and how something like this make is worse, but remember to take care of yourself and take things one day at a time. People here at Hadit will help you as much as possible, and we are glad you are here.

Sometimes words of encouragement is all we need and I truly appreciate your kind words. I have slept on the decision made by the VA (thought not to well) ready to fight!! I also want to focus on helping new members of this site with any questions they have with the early process that I have already dealt with.

OIF 03