• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

You can request your Service Medical Records online. If you can get a Doc to link your asthma to your service than you are on your way.

Welcome to Hadit

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

How long have you been out of the service-not that really has anything to do with it.

If you were never treated for any respiratory problems while in the service and you've been out for many years it would probably be harder to prove its service related. Some other disease's can cause asthma.

Were you ever treated for any respiratory problems in the service? Such as pneumonia's or congestion that never went away despite treatment?

You need to find out what triggers an attack? Is it related to season's, weather, activities or nothing.

If you were never treated for any respiratory problems in the service, you would then goggle any disease process you many have to see if they can cause asthma secondary to that disease.

If you search this site, you will find how to obtain SMR's-I don't know off the top of my head, others here will.

I have asthma and it was triggered by another disease but its documented in my records that I developed the asthma in the service. I have a 30% rating, on 4 inhalers, nebulizer. These have kept me out of the hospital for the past year.

I hope you get your asthma under control, nothing is worse than grasping for air and the feeling of impending doom during a severe attack.

• HadIt.com Elder

Howie, sorry to hear you have asthma and you have a good question to see if it started in service. Lets research it, asthma is one of few items I am submitting for sc&increases. I believe my asthma too relates back to my service days. For instance, I had sonstant sinus issues, used can spray starch constantly before permanent press bdu's and had anxiety related hyperventaltion episodes (recorded in smr's). Asthma treated after discharge by family physician. Interesting. Best to ya, cg p.s. I also used liquid starch.

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!