Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lower Back Pain/sciatica/ Nerve Damage

Rate this question

LOA

Question

hi everyone,

I just got back from a electronic nerve test and the physician said I have nerve damage. He believes it is caused by my lower back. He is not sure wether it is rejuvenating itself or it is stable. This is all S/C from a motor vehicle accident. I had a disk replacement at l4/5 and now I have an artifical disk. I still have lower back pains with pain radiating down my legs with interior thigh numbness and calf (bilateral) pain/aching. I have limited ROM which is caused because my back will not bend. My back moves as one unit (like it is fused), I can bend forward about 45 degrees, 0 backwards and about 10 degrees to either side. I also had a L2 spinous process fracture that is healed, but is still a tender point.

Can you tell me what code they should list this under? Does the stack rule apply here or can it be rated under several codes.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Last april 2007 ended 6 yr appeal. I was 10% left knee. BVA video hr granted s/c by way of secondary/aggravation to right knee arthritis and lumbar "strain". I have severe lumbar osteoarthritis, spondylolisthesis L5-S1, sciatic left butt, calf, & foot. Post fusion surgery L5-S1. Still have alot of pain, can not walk good or very far. Can not sit at computer long, can't lift much,---less than 50 lbs only max. Miserable. **Currently 10% left knee arthritis was original over 20 year rating. Again right knee and back were recent grant on 6 yr appeal as secondary. I feel when BVA sent the grant of SC back to VARO, rating board then screwed me with just 10% lumbar stain. Should not they have rated the sciatic (neuro) and arthritis, fusion, (physical) conditions seperate?? Then combined??

Last april 2007 ended 6 yr appeal. I was 10% left knee. BVA video hr granted s/c by way of secondary/aggravation to right knee arthritis and lumbar "strain". I have severe lumbar osteoarthritis, spondylolisthesis L5-S1, sciatic left butt, calf, & foot. Post fusion surgery L5-S1. Still have alot of pain, can not walk good or very far. Can not sit at computer long, can't lift much,---less than 50 lbs only max. Miserable. **Currently 10% left knee arthritis was original over 20 year rating. Again right knee and back were recent grant on 6 yr appeal as secondary. I feel when BVA sent the grant of SC back to VARO, rating board then screwed me with just 10% lumbar stain. Should not they have rated the sciatic (neuro) and arthritis, fusion, (physical) conditions seperate?? Then combined??

I know that sciatica would be rated separately.

Lumbar strain means that it may get better over time. It seems the VA is labeling more veterans with this diagnostic code.

I would ask for a reconsideration, which requires new evidence, or file a notice of disagreement.

Did he have a C&P exam, did they do a range of motion test? If so, what were the results.

click the IVDS training letter below for more info

Happy Trails

Paul