Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Admitted Into The Hospital

Rate this question

Cherie33

Question

Good Afternoon All,

On Dec. 28, 2007 - I began having chest pains, my blood pressure went up, my chest felt as if someone was sitting on it, I felt hot all over, I was dizzy and felt as if I was going to faint.

To make a long story short, I was very hesitate to call 911, because I wasn't sure what was going on. But because after hours of feeling this way, we decided to call 911. The resue came and told me that they thought that I should go to the hospital. So, I went. The emergency room immediately began running test, and utimately decided to admit me for more test. So, I spent 5 days in the hospital. I was released on Jan. 2, 2008.

While I was there, my mom contacted my VA Primary Care Dr. and he told me to stay in the hospital until they found out what was going on. And that the VA should cover the cost. (Being that the nearest VA Hospital is in Gainesville, FL. Which is about 1 1/2 hours away from me.)He also told me to talk to a Social Worker in the hospital and let them know that I am a disabled vet and to contact the VA in Gainesville. I did speak with a social worker and she said that the VA usually does cover the cost when you are admitted for observasion and additional test.

Well, I received a letter in the mail today from the Gainesville VA stating that and I quote:

Claim has been disapproved.

Payment may be made only if all three of the following criteria are met; (1) Care or services were rendered for an adjudicated service-connected disability or for any condition of a veteran who has been determined to be totally and permanently disabled as a result of a service-connected disability; (2) Care and services were rendered in a medical emergency of such a nature that delay would have been hazardous to life or health; (3) VA or other federal facilities were not feasibly available.

Unquote

They sent me a letter of my appeal rights. I'm not sure of what to do. I do not have any medical insurance besides the VA. And when I saw one of my doctors, she felt as if I had a Panic Attack (which is one of my disabilities)

I need some advice...Please help.

Thanks,

Cherie33

• Answers 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Cherie33 - not to be rude, but since you chose to ignore my question why should the VA pay for your care? The VA is not welfare. What was the admitting hospital's final diagnosis???

pr

Hello Philip,

Sorry, I didn't mean to ignore you...I'm not looking for welfare from the VA. Besides they treat all of my other aliments. Also, the peramedics and the doctors thought initially that I had a heart attack, so they did lots of test, I even spoke to My VA Primary Care doctor who told me to stay in the hospital until they found out what the problem was. However, all of my test came back normal, so then the doctors figured that it was a panic attack. I don't know what they wrote in my chart, I'll have to get a copy of that. But, panic attacks/anxiety attacks are all part of my disability. I would have went to the VA Hospital instead, but the nearest hospital (Gainesville) is 1 1/2 hours away from me, and I was advised not to travel that far with my symptoms.

Oh, and don't be so hard on me, I am a Vet that doesn't have that much experience dealing with the VA (eventhough, I have been disabled for 14 years) and am here for advice and help, not to be scolded.

Thank you,

Cherie33

• HadIt.com Elder

Cherie33 - I wasn't scolding you and hope you didn't take it that way. If you did, I sincerely appologize!!! If you're 100% or TDIU you "may" get them to pay but it could be a long battle. The VA doesn't want to pay and tries to make you give up your claim for hospital benefits. In the future contact the "Fee Basis" office within 48 hrs of hospitalization. You may be able to argue that you contacted your VA physician (a representative of the VA) and he advised you to stay there.

pr

Hello Philip,

Sorry, I didn't mean to ignore you...I'm not looking for welfare from the VA. Besides they treat all of my other aliments. Also, the peramedics and the doctors thought initially that I had a heart attack, so they did lots of test, I even spoke to My VA Primary Care doctor who told me to stay in the hospital until they found out what the problem was. However, all of my test came back normal, so then the doctors figured that it was a panic attack. I don't know what they wrote in my chart, I'll have to get a copy of that. But, panic attacks/anxiety attacks are all part of my disability. I would have went to the VA Hospital instead, but the nearest hospital (Gainesville) is 1 1/2 hours away from me, and I was advised not to travel that far with my symptoms.

Oh, and don't be so hard on me, I am a Vet that doesn't have that much experience dealing with the VA (eventhough, I have been disabled for 14 years) and am here for advice and help, not to be scolded.

Thank you,

Cherie33

Cherie33 - I wasn't scolding you and hope you didn't take it that way. If you did, I sincerely appologize!!! If you're 100% or TDIU you "may" get them to pay but it could be a long battle. The VA doesn't want to pay and tries to make you give up your claim for hospital benefits. In the future contact the "Fee Basis" office within 48 hrs of hospitalization. You may be able to argue that you contacted your VA physician (a representative of the VA) and he advised you to stay there.

pr

Philip,

As I said before, I am only here for advice and help. I think the VA should pay for my care because I am disabled because of my service to my country, and I am unable to work because of it, and I do not have any medical insurance. And believe me I would have rather went to the VA Hospital but couldn't because of my symptoms, could have been life threating. I think its terrible that a veteran would have to fight to get medical care or hospital care paid for. I am not TDIU (I currently have a claim in for that) and I am not 100% (I am 70%.) So, I WILL NOT give up. I cannot afford to pay for a 5 day hospital stay. I will alert the media if I have too.

I appreciate your comments and am in no way fighting with you. Thanks for your help, Philip!

For ALL VETERANS!

Cherie33