Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Help With Question

Rate this question

fishes

Question

I am a charter Captain, and my license from the Coast Guard is up for renewal. I am 70% PTSD and 40% for hearing impairement. MY hearing is way beyond the curve that they allow. I think 70 decibels or less is allowed,and VA considers 40decibels as impaired.Mine is from 85 to 105 in the 2000,3000,4000 range. Along with the PTSD I think I cann't renew. Would like your comments Thanks

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

fishes,

If they will not let you renew you have a good case for applying for TDIU. I see that you are 80% already and 70% for PTSD so you meet the more than 40% on one disability and 70% or more on combined disabilities. DJ8

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are unable to work you should file for TDIU as soon as you find out and also Social Security.Wish you the best .

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

I think the medical qualifications are at the USCG site here:

http://www.uscg.mil/stcw/cb-capt.htm

If any SC conditions renders you unemployable- then VA should consider you for TDIU-they probably did when you got the 80% but you were employed then so they could not grant TDIU at that time.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Hello Fishes,,,,,,, I too am a charter captain,,, and I understand the need to pass the physical from you doctor to submit with the mandatory 5 yr renewal. The drug screen and proof of membership into a random drug testing group, the physical , the documentation of days on the water etc.....Now if you are not able to work because of an impairment , injury , disease and it shows up on the medical report then the Coast Guard really has no choice but not renew your license. If the CG gives you written reason , their is an appeal process, however their written decision can also be used as evidence to the VA , espcially if you are Service Connected. The fine line is will they decline to renew? In reality no......it ususally takes a catatrophic health issue to not pass the physical an even harder for them to not renew your license for it. NOW , miss or even worse flunk your random drug test and you will end up on suspension for 1 year. Let your license expire and continue to operate and risk Fed charges and prison. Failure to report an accident and you will get a 6 month or 1 yr suspension. The point is there are other things the CG looks to try and get you with other than your health.....almost sounds like the VA huh. Personally if I was to get to the point that I knew I could not safely....SAFELY do my job without endangering my clients or others on the navagatable waterways used by others ,,,, I would tell my doctor that my conditions, or injuries , or diseases were just getting too much to handle, have him fill out the physical as such and then USE the CG letter of denial for your TDIU evidentiary. The VA has to accept that as that is your job , your employment and is carries weight because it too is a branch of the military. Same with filing for Social Security Disability. Ahoy Capt...... permission to go ashore.... God Bless, C.C.

• HadIt.com Elder

Do they have allowances for corrective vision and hearing? I know the FAA does for pilot licenses, but it is a very narrow margin. Maybe you could look into that. If you are unable to work, due to you SC'd hearing, I agree with everyone else about filing for TDIU.

90%, TDIU P&T

If you are force out of the Coast Guard, please make sure you go out as " Medical Discharge ". Do not leave by mearly letting your term lapsed. There's a big difference and retirement comes into play.