Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I've "hadit"....

Rate this question

jecsb4

Question

Hi All,

I don't think there is a proper forum for this, but I feel like I am under the gun from the VAMC!

I need help and advice, I have two issues I want to address:

I have some serious problems with my GI track and I have some sreious IBS-C issues. I think it may be a result of thyroid, and stress. So for the past 2 -3 visits w/my VA PCP I complained about this and finally on my last visit the Dr decided she was going to do one of those up close and very personnel exams and before I knew it she had her RN in the room, I am sure for protection as a witness. Well this would not be the first time I have had this procedure, but I was so taken back by it that I told them I could not go through with it….I guess I really didn’t want people of the opposite sex doing this. It’ funny now (but not then) because most of us x-mil had experienced numerous times of a total loss of privacy, but I guess this caught me buy surprise. So I said I really didn’t want to do it and no sooner had I said that the gloves were off! Then they said well we can’t force you and we will state that you refused. So is this a big deal? This health issue is not even SC. But they are making it sound like I was uncorporative. I guess if the Dr treated me like a real patient and said well..I think we need to do this because…but instead the Dr made a decision and had the RN in their ready to go I was the last to be informed. I guess it comes down to bed side manners. If my life depended on it, heck no problem…. So am I on the bad boy list? Any repercussions??

My other issue is I am SC for depression and a VAMC shrink has been bugging me for over 6 months to go to a weekly grieving group. Six months ago, I told the Dr I would try and go. Well one day I called the VA phone line for my APTs and I was scheduled for every session for over 3 months in advance! Well I know how the VA is when you miss an APT, so I cancelled every one, I never committed to go. Well a month ago, I got a message from the Dr’s assistant telling me about a improved NEW group…..I didn’t want to go but I went to one and a big 4 of us showed up. Anyway, I am not better than any other Vet, but I had zero in common w/ the other guys and I am not good at talking.

Anyway, I have been lucky and I am working, but due to me health and issesu beyond my control, I am barely hanging on to my job. Well I got a letter in the mail telling me they expect me to show up so the group can work! I do believe that these people need to show that they have an active group to ‘justify their jobs'. It seems that only 1 or 2 people show up. Why can’t they changer the time to 5 – 6 PM etc? Is it because they would have to stay late at work?

I am also fortunate in that a VAMC is in my town, however due to traffic, etc it would take 3 – 4 hours out of my work day each week. I know I can’t tell my employer that I need to go to a group…

I don’t feel this is right, I told them at my first meeting, I was under the gun at my job and I could not commit, yet then are doing this pressure tactic on me. I screwed up by going to that first meeting and now I am on the infamous "the list."

What are the repercussions if I don’t go??? Im SC for Dep, will it effect my future rating, etc.

I have nothing against these programs or the people that attend, but I am just trying to survive.

Sorry I can’t seem to write a more to the point post!

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

The VA justifies a SC rating by making sure a vet is receiving current treatment-

their philosophy is- if you dont get treatment for a condition-then you probably dont have it-

I just hope it does not have a bad affect on your rating.But then again I assume you see the VA shrink on a regular basis and that shows current treatment is occurring.

• HadIt.com Elder

First on the colon exam that is on you, maybe you need to explain that you are uncomfortable with a woman doing it and request a "male" doctor all that makes you is a sexist and heavens forbid they can't hold that against you there are women who refuse to let men treat them in somewhat similar circumstances ( besides that woody would have only embarassed you, I am sure the doc has had them pop up before :rolleyes: )

As far as group goes, it only reinforces the (I don't play well with others) which is part of PTSD just don't miss your shrink appts I am 100% P&T for PTSD and I have never done a group of an inpatient program I tried they refused to admit me to the domicillary they told me I was to sick to be in the hospital now thats a new one so I stay home and go every 3 months and see my head doc and every 6 months to primary care I refuse to stop treatment it keeps me grounded and they can't claim I have been "cured"

Re: "I guess I really didn’t want people of the opposite sex doing this. It’ funny now (but not then) because most of us x-mil had experienced numerous times of a total loss of privacy, but I guess this caught me buy surprise."

I see nothing wrong with your reaction. I've probably showered (open showers in the military) with more men than has Boy George, but now that I have a choice, I prefer to do many things without "company".

I think Testvet gave you good advice.

Ron

First on the colon exam that is on you, maybe you need to explain that you are uncomfortable with a woman doing it and request a "male" doctor all that makes you is a sexist and heavens forbid they can't hold that against you there are women who refuse to let men treat them in somewhat similar circumstances ( besides that woody would have only embarassed you, I am sure the doc has had them pop up before :rolleyes: )

As far as group goes, it only reinforces the (I don't play well with others) which is part of PTSD just don't miss your shrink appts I am 100% P&T for PTSD and I have never done a group of an inpatient program I tried they refused to admit me to the domicillary they told me I was to sick to be in the hospital now thats a new one so I stay home and go every 3 months and see my head doc and every 6 months to primary care I refuse to stop treatment it keeps me grounded and they can't claim I have been "cured"

Yes I do see the VA shrink every 90 days or so and I am thinking of even a private Dr.

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA cannot force anyone to go to a group. The fact that you see a VA shrink every 90 days should be adequate to retain your curtrent rating in my opinion.

PS I am Service Connected for Panic Disorder and I don't go to VA Mental Health anymore. My VA Primary Care Doc prescribes my xanax and gabapentin that I need and everyone is happy. I agreed that if I get worse I will go back to Mental Health Clinic but it looks like they have their hands full with people who need more help than I do.

I think John999 is right on this issue its just an agreement on paper that I worked out 3 years ago.

I do not believe that refusal to see a physcologist in a group setting can have a negative effect on your claim. I have been asked numerous times to go to the physcologist and each time I have declined and I still have my %, however I do see the physciatrist each month.