Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Had C&p Exam For Ptsd And Then Got A Call

Rate this question

bozoc

Question

I am so glad to have found this forum. I am a Vietnam combat veteran 69-70. There appears to be a wealth of knowledge hear and some very interesting discussions.

I filed my first claim in Oct. of 2007. It was for PTSD. A week or so later I filed for chronic headaches due to past shrapnel wounds and shrapnel still present in my head. I had a C&P for the wounds and headaches on January 8th of this year which I thought was pretty fast. No results yet.

I had a C&P exam for PTSD on Feb. 1st of this year. The psychologist who did the exam told me he thought I had a pretty severe case of PTSD. I don't have the exam results yet. After the exam he asked if I wanted to talk to a psychiatrist while I was there. I told him "no" and that I had talked about all I was capable of talking that day. He said he would make me an appointment for a future date.

I got a call today and the VA has scheduled me to see a psychiatrist on Feb. 20th. Is it normal to see a psychiatrist before any results from the C&P have been established? Of course, I am going to the appoinment. Just curious if this was a normal part of the process. Thanks so much for any info.

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Panic attacks are very specific and there are a number of symptoms. I good shrink could make the call in one visit.

I had panic disorder for 22 years before it was diagnosed.

I have a feeling that panic attacks is what I have been having. All of the symptoms I have read about the last few weeks point in that direction. My private sector doctor wanted to rule out any type of heart problem or inner ear issues from the physical side. When I see the psychiatrist at the VA I will mention the symptoms I have been having and see what he says.

When I had the C&P the psychologist asked me if I had panic attacks. I told him I didn't know for sure but I described the symptoms I've had for quite awhile and he said that is what it sounded like to him. Maybe that is why he is sending me to the psychiatrist.

This is the way it was all designed to work - compensation plus medical treatment/care. Looks like you had a doc that understands the true intentions of the system.

Ditto Ricky's post. You had a real doctor that cared. Most definately keep the appt. The physc. visits will definately bolster your claim. I wish more of the doctors in the VA system were like this one. My Dad had a VA doc that used to be his doctor on the outside then he went to the VA. My Dad had it made. His doc cut all the red tape and it was very easy for my Dad to get care not to mention that the doc knew his whole medical hystory. DJ8 :)

This is the way it was all designed to work - compensation plus medical treatment/care. Looks like you had a doc that understands the true intentions of the system.

I saw it as a positive thing but I didn't know enough about the process to be sure. The guy doing the exam seemed compassionate and very thorough. I have a difficult time talking about these issues but he made me feel more comfortable than I could have imagined. I was impressed.

Could simply be that the doc had no extra time and feel your needs are urgent enough to warrant another session, quickly.

Could simply be that the doc had no extra time and feel your needs are urgent enough to warrant another session, quickly.

Could be. I am pretty sure the C&P is complete because he directed me to the office that will forward the C&P records when they are ready. I am so ignorant of the process I didn't even know they would give you a copy of the results until he told me. The guy that did the C&P was a psychologist and the guy I will see on Feb 20 is a psychiatrist.

When I had my C&P for old head wounds with chronic headaches in January, no one told me I could get a copy of the exam results. I will ask for those as well when I go back.