Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What To Ask For

Rate this question

mitchell3006

Question

:) This may take a little explaining. I wonder about posting ideas of what to look for as far as claims. Example: Vet has bad left knee. Obviously the left knee would be applied for. But many vets younger vets don't think to look at secondary problems like right knee due to over stress, maybe hip pain due to limp, back pain, or even GERD due to meds. They don't realize that the combination of these symptoms that is preventing them from having gainful employment may entitle them to more compensation. VA may only give them 10% for the left knee if they don't pursue the others.

Don't know if this is coming out right. I'm not talking about shotgunning or fishing but legitimate ideas for secondaries that many inexperienced or younger vets may not be aware of.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I know I wish that someone could have given me direction about these things. I learned after several years that my GERD and stomach problems were due to the amount of NSAID's I had to take for SC issues. And I only recently learned that the reason I stay mad most of the time is because of depression that is caused by chronic pain from SC issues. I agree that someone shouldn't go fishing, but most of the younger vets don't realize that a is connected to b yet.

You guys are right-

unfortuately we all have to be very proactive in filing for any possible condition that has SC potential-

from time to time I see claims at the BVA web site that were prepared incorrectly- the vet claimed a disability and then became locked in to it-

for example - a vet might have PTSD but they claim acquired psychiatric disorder-too vastly different things

or they will not realise as you said how many conditions can be socondary to other SC disabilities and even SC meds-

DMII is a good example-

SC DMII can cause transcient cerrbral ischemia, major storkes,LVH heart disease, atheorosclerosis, peripheral neuropathy, erectile dysfuncstion,skin problems, foot problems, and vision problems as well as probaby other problems too-

I had a vet who was trying for SC diabetes for over a decade.

The BVA denial said he had noted a drusen in his service records.

This single word Drusen-was missed not only by his POA but even by his attorneys (Leibermann et al) at the CAVC.

While he was here I looked up diabetes info and found that this means he had the first visual manifestation of diabetes in service-it is a sign of macular degeneration- right in VA's DMII training letter-symptomatic of diabetes effect to eyes and vision.

He won his claim.But the rating was wrong- he has CAD, skin problems, and other manifestations of his DMII that they totally ignored-

Every time I see a claim here-based on the info the vet states- I try to see if he/she has anything secondary to something else they mention.And you cant expect them to assume anything-

WHat I mean is say a vet has PH on DD 214 and major schrapnel wounds with scarring.He also just got a DMII diagnosis.He also has PTSD diagnosis and gets treatment from the VA for it.

If the vet files his first claim and only mentions the DMII as being claimed -the VA sure isnt going to consider his other SC disabilities because he didnt formally claim them.

Once in a while the VA will actually infer a disability that the vet has not claimed.And attempt to SC it.

I sure would not assume they do that often.

It pays to google lots of info on any claimed disability to see what else it can cause.

Edited by Berta