Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nsiads And Gerd

Rate this question

Berta

Question

Someone had a post about this recently but I forget who and I found this decision at the BVA.

http://www.va.gov/vetapp06/files4/0623407.txt

The veteran's claim for SC of GERD due to meds prescribed for a SC knee condition in 1998 was denied.

The veteran's claim was again denied in 1993.He did not appeal.

The claim was re-opened due to new and material evidence-

In 1996- the veteran's diagnosis appeared for the first time in med recs as stomach discomfort and refluex diagnosed as dyspepsia.

In 1998 an upper GI series revealed GERD and a haital hernia. The veteran had been taking NSAIDs for a SC low back pain condition which were discontinued in 1997 due to the GERD distress.

"The examiner noted that the most important aggravating factor of his GERD and hernia was NSAID use."

"Order :

The claim for service connection for a gastrointestinal disability is reopened.

Service connection for a gastrointestinal disability is granted."

• Answers 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Up date:

I got a letter from the DAV telling me that the Va has decided on my appeal.

It stated:

This letter is not intended to serve as your official notification from the Dept of VA. You will receive an official decision from the VA upon completion of necessary administrative procedures.

The DAV has reviewed the most recent VA decision concerning your claim for benefits. A combined evaluation of 50 % has been assigned as a result of the following action:

Service connection for reflux is granted with an evaluation of 10%...

etc...

Well I am hoping to get the offical letter of decision from the VA soon. It would be nice if it showed up on the 1st of March .

I am assuming that the DAV got it right.

That the VA will follow thru with the same information that the DAV supplied without any suprises.

Question : How long do you think it will take the Va to make it offical ?

How long before I get notified ?

Thanks

Do you think that the DAV could have got the information wrong and got my hopes up falsely ?

Great-the award letter should come soon now-

The retro might even be in your bank or mailbox before you get the award.

Do not hesitate to NOD it if you feel any part of their decision is incorrect.

Up date:

I got a letter from the DAV telling me that the Va has decided on my appeal.

It stated:

This letter is not intended to serve as your official notification from the Dept of VA. You will receive an official decision from the VA upon completion of necessary administrative procedures.

The DAV has reviewed the most recent VA decision concerning your claim for benefits. A combined evaluation of 50 % has been assigned as a result of the following action:

Service connection for reflux is granted with an evaluation of 10%...

etc...

Well I am hoping to get the offical letter of decision from the VA soon. It would be nice if it showed up on the 1st of March .

I am assuming that the DAV got it right.

That the VA will follow thru with the same information that the DAV supplied without any suprises.

Question : How long do you think it will take the Va to make it offical ?

How long before I get notified ?

Thanks

Do you think that the DAV could have got the information wrong and got my hopes up falsely ?

This is great news. I would not think the DAV would generate an erroneous letter like this. Like Berta said, look at the award letter and some other decisions. They definitely low balled you with 10%. I would definitely put in a NOD. You have nothing to lose and 20% to gain. I am waiting on my decision for the same condition and cause. Hopefully, I will update you soon with their decision in my case.

3 years- a question

"Based on review of his C-file and medical literature regarding side effects of NSAIDs and gastritis and gastroesophageal reflux disease, it is examiner's opinion that it is likely that the gastritis is secondary to his use of non-steroidal anti inflammatory drugs"

was the medical literature part meaning any print outs from you- as this is easy to google to get a medical association- and the side affect leaflets with the meds are good evidence too for these types of claims?

Or was this literature that the medical examiner him/herself refered to?

One thing in my second IMO in 2006 was that Dr. BAsh jumped on the 2005 examiner's report quite well and made one reference to fact that he had offered in both of his opinions, direct medical literature info with sources and the VA med examiner had provided not even this type of evidence to support her opinion.

That opinion was thrown out anyhow but this is one reason that we should provide medical abstracts or treatises,studies that are relevant to our claims- dont think this is the best evidence to use but it can enhance whatever else a claimant sends to them.

If a VA examiner uses medical text-than so can we and it should be given the same weight.

my font changed ???

Berta

I did submit medical material I found in my original claim ( from the Meds I got from the VA (Nsiads) and information that I found on the internet. ) I can not see the Dr. going thru all of the orginal claim material to research the issue - I figure they stay very busy with their work load.

I am guessing the Dr. is just stating that the medical material the Dr. based the decision on, is really just information that is common knowledge among the medical field with using Nsiads and their side effects. The whole decision is probably based on the two procedures that I went thru at the VA (Upper GI and the scope.)

thanks

Berta.........

"Salsalate , as a NSAID, would certainly support GERD claim, as secondary to this medication."

That is really interesting because I have GERD with Barretts Esophagus and I told the Pain Clinic.......my VA PCP has it scanned in but they (the Pain Clinic)STILL prescribed and prescribes me Salsalate.

Um, I do not think they really care.........but I'm always screwed up and mistaken.........so who knows anyhow. Per the VA the Sasalate shouldn't affect my GERD.......we know better my wife is a nurse and mother a doctor........but I love to listen to the VA. That is why you save the bottles.........but now the VA wants my whole Gastro file, which they will not get......someone got skeered, lol.

Like some idiot saying because I'm overweight now........is why at 25 I had multiple herniated dics...........lol..........but the idiots come a dime a dozen.....people tend to speak from the side of their neck before they ask questions.

Cheers

There are plenty of web sites with med info on salsalite.

I am not a doctor-

erythema-I have seen this as a skin condition in a friend of mine with AO diabetes.

He has very small red bumps on his face-not enough to be a rash-and very hard to notice- unless he is in sunlight.

He is AmerIndian with fairly light skin and-if he tans this condition isnt noticable at all.

antral -meaning however the lining of the stomach-

I think this means medically that there is obvious visible irritation of the antral-and this is probably due to the Salsalate

I could not find these two terms used together

but it means one could deduce a visible irritation of the stomach-

and the salsasite more than likely caused it.

Edited by yelloownumber5