Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nsiads And Gerd

Rate this question

Berta

Question

Someone had a post about this recently but I forget who and I found this decision at the BVA.

http://www.va.gov/vetapp06/files4/0623407.txt

The veteran's claim for SC of GERD due to meds prescribed for a SC knee condition in 1998 was denied.

The veteran's claim was again denied in 1993.He did not appeal.

The claim was re-opened due to new and material evidence-

In 1996- the veteran's diagnosis appeared for the first time in med recs as stomach discomfort and refluex diagnosed as dyspepsia.

In 1998 an upper GI series revealed GERD and a haital hernia. The veteran had been taking NSAIDs for a SC low back pain condition which were discontinued in 1997 due to the GERD distress.

"The examiner noted that the most important aggravating factor of his GERD and hernia was NSAID use."

"Order :

The claim for service connection for a gastrointestinal disability is reopened.

Service connection for a gastrointestinal disability is granted."

• Answers 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I included this case in my evidence for my reopened claim for GERD secondary to NSAID's taken for SC'd knee and back conditions. It hasn't been decided yet, but I'll post up when it is.

"I included this case in my evidence for my reopened claim for GERD secondary to NSAID's taken for SC'd knee and back conditions. It hasn't been decided yet, but I'll post up when it is."

This vet's doc said it so that helped him get this award.

It is however an established medical fact these days- that NSAIDS can cause gastrointestinal problems -were you able to find a good medical abstract, artivles, or studies on the web to support your claim?

Like:

http://www.seniorhealthweek.org/NewsStorie...rd-story-r1.htm

(I dont see how VA could come up with any medical rationale to go against an establish cause and effect like NSIAD to gastro system.)

Berta

Thanks, that was me who was filing an claim for GERD as secondary because of the meds taken for my service connected knees. I was refused and I have filed my appeal and now just waiting. I do have a Va appt to test for Gerds at the end of the month. I have been receiving meds from the VA for years for gerd and several VA Doctors have me listed as having Gerds but I was never really medically tested (had the tube stucked down my mouth- and not looking fwd to it)

Does anyone think I should allow the test, since I already have a history of Gerds in my medical file diagnose by several VA doctors over the years and have been precribe meds for it. Will it help/hurt my claim (for gerd as secondary because of the meds I have to take for my service connected knees.) Just wonder what the opinions are out there.

Thanks again.

Were they NSAIDs for the SC knees and

did the SC meds (NSAIDS) preceed the GERD?

If so I am surprised they denied.

• HadIt.com Elder

My SC'd NSAID's preceeded my GERD, but I was denied in 2002 for GERD because my civillian doc made one statement in his records that I needed to cut back on caffeine and cut out the tobacco. I have followed a fairly strict diet for years and cut out 98% of caffiene. I also went a year without tobacco. I have proof of all of this in my medical records now, plus a statement from my VA PCP that I have to take prilosec twice a day due to NSAID gastritis. I didn't include scholarly articles in the connection between NSAID's and GERD, becuase I had already included two scholarly articles in my IVDS claim. I didn't want the "submitted several internet printouts" label that they stuck on you. I did, however, include several NSAID prescription leaflets from the VA pharmacy. I highlited the portions that said that NSAID's can cause severe gastric problems including GERD. I also included a general leaflet from the VA on taking NSAID's. I also highlited the portions that state that taking them in high doses, or for a long period of time can result in gastric problems. I have both taken them in high doses and for a long period of time. This is in my medical records. Let's see them argue with their own documents.

• HadIt.com Elder

3 Years

If if was going to have the tube down the throat I would use a real professional to do it, and not let the medical students at the VA do it. A friend had it done at the local VA and he said it was bad. If done by professional you are knocked out for a few minutes and you feel nothing. I should have it done myself since I have had GERD for years. It is the cancer risk that is worrisome. The NSAID's can be stopped so bleeding is preventable.