Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nsiads And Gerd

Rate this question

Berta

Question

Someone had a post about this recently but I forget who and I found this decision at the BVA.

http://www.va.gov/vetapp06/files4/0623407.txt

The veteran's claim for SC of GERD due to meds prescribed for a SC knee condition in 1998 was denied.

The veteran's claim was again denied in 1993.He did not appeal.

The claim was re-opened due to new and material evidence-

In 1996- the veteran's diagnosis appeared for the first time in med recs as stomach discomfort and refluex diagnosed as dyspepsia.

In 1998 an upper GI series revealed GERD and a haital hernia. The veteran had been taking NSAIDs for a SC low back pain condition which were discontinued in 1997 due to the GERD distress.

"The examiner noted that the most important aggravating factor of his GERD and hernia was NSAID use."

"Order :

The claim for service connection for a gastrointestinal disability is reopened.

Service connection for a gastrointestinal disability is granted."

• Answers 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Well went to my Va dr. today. Had him review my upper endoscopy medical report. After we discussed the report. He agree with me that the germ H.Pylori was not causing the Gerd (proven by the EDG). Also, we both felt it is the nsaids that was affecting the Gerd.

He gave me a copy of his progrss notes. In it he stated two things...

1 - 'Pt had erythrmatous mucosa in distal esophagus and gastric polyp and mild antral erythrm c/w gastritis'

2- 'Pt with evidence of gastritis, I believe that this is more likely than not due to his anti-inflammatory medication (salsalate) used to treat his arthritis'

So now I have bundle up my evidence (My Va dr progess notes, signed by my Va dr. with his conclusions, A copy of my Upper endoscopy dr. medical report - Gastroenterology Procedure Consult Has Addenda and a copy of my Medical Record EGD Report and progress notes).

I feel that the EGD has proven I am suffering with Gerds, it is not caused by Germs, and my Dr. thinks ("I belive it is more likely than not")

that it is caused by the salsalate use to treat by s/c knees.

I will mail the package to the VA appeals division this week.

Any suggestions / comments ?

Thanks

Have a quick question about this claim. At first I was claiming I had Gerds.

The EGD report shows that I have 3 problems

1 Stomach, lesser curature - consistent with fundic gland polyp - mild chronic gastritis (gastric polyp)

2 stomach, antrum - mild chronic gastritis - mild antral erythrma c/w gastritis

3 distal esophagus - chronically inflamed fundic type mucosa - erythrmatous mucosa in distal esophagus

So now I am thinking instead of calling the problem Gerds, maybe I should claim 3 individual problem areas. Each should receive an individaul evaluation by the VA since the EGD pointed out 3 seperate areas where the there was inflamation and gastritis.

Is anyone following me with this train of thought. Instead of one problem maybe there is really 3 individual problem areas?

Is this out of line...Just want to get anyone opinion.

Thanks.

• HadIt.com Elder

My guess is that they will only be able to rate one of these due to pyramiding. I would pick out which one gives you the highest rating by comparing your recorded symptoms against that condition's rating criteria and file for that one.

Guest Vietnam Tanker

You can file it as three seperate problems, but, more than likely the VA will tie them together as they did my problems and give you one percentage.

Well went to my Va dr. March 24. Had him review my upper endoscopy medical report. After we discussed the report. He agree with me that the germ H.Pylori was not causing the Gerd (proven by the EDG). Also, we both felt it is the nsaids that was affecting the Gerd.

He gave me a copy of his progrss notes. In it the Va Doctor stated two things...

1 - "'Pt had erythrmatous mucosa in distal esophagus and gastric polyp and mild antral erythrm c/w gastritis'"

2- "'Pt with evidence of gastritis, I believe that this is more likely than not due to his anti-inflammatory medication (salsalate) used to treat his arthritis'"

So now I have bundle up my evidence (My Va dr progess notes, signed by my Va dr. with his conclusions, A copy of my Upper endoscopy dr. medical report - Gastroenterology Procedure Consult Has Addenda and a copy of my Medical Record EGD Report and progress notes). A total of 9 pages, with key elements highlighted and quoted on the cover page.

I feel that the EGD has proven I am suffering with Gerds, it is not caused by Germs, and my Dr. thinks ("I belive it is more likely than not")

that it is caused by the salsalate use to treat my s/c knees.

I will mail the package to the VA appeals division this week.

Any suggestions / comments ?

Thanks

Well I mailed a copy of my New Evidence (see above) to the VA appeals and mailed a copy to the DVA (DVA would not let me fax them a copy, so I had to drop another $5.25.) So now the wait is on. It has been a year since I first filed this claim, March 2007. I just hope all of the evidence is there to win the claim.

Comments?

Thanks

Got my supply of meds from VA. One bottle was my omeprazole. on the label it had:

"Take two capsules by month every day - take on an emplty stomach before the meal for acid reflux (this medication is for patients's service connected condition) "

I have never seen this on any other medication from VA. Just wondering if it is a sign that the VA has decided on my appeal for Gerd as secondary - might be reading too much into it - or did my local VA Dr. just write it up that way.

The bill for the meds should arrive in a week or so. Will wait to see if I am billed for the omeprazole.

Any comments.

Thanks