Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nsiads And Gerd

Rate this question

Berta

Question

Someone had a post about this recently but I forget who and I found this decision at the BVA.

http://www.va.gov/vetapp06/files4/0623407.txt

The veteran's claim for SC of GERD due to meds prescribed for a SC knee condition in 1998 was denied.

The veteran's claim was again denied in 1993.He did not appeal.

The claim was re-opened due to new and material evidence-

In 1996- the veteran's diagnosis appeared for the first time in med recs as stomach discomfort and refluex diagnosed as dyspepsia.

In 1998 an upper GI series revealed GERD and a haital hernia. The veteran had been taking NSAIDs for a SC low back pain condition which were discontinued in 1997 due to the GERD distress.

"The examiner noted that the most important aggravating factor of his GERD and hernia was NSAID use."

"Order :

The claim for service connection for a gastrointestinal disability is reopened.

Service connection for a gastrointestinal disability is granted."

• Answers 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

'I didn't want the "submitted several internet printouts" label that they stuck on you. I did, however, include several NSAID prescription leaflets from the VA pharmacy. I highlited the portions that said that NSAID's can cause severe gastric problems including GERD. I also included a general leaflet from the VA on taking NSAID's. I also highlited the portions that state that taking them in high doses, or for a long period of time can result in gastric problems."

Your evidence is beautiful!!!!! Nothing better then using what the VA states- against them-I forget often that the stuff they send with the SC meds can often prove a point- like your claim-

I aint worried about what they said on my" internet printouts"-they will eat them words!

Some of my printouts were from medical sources-some from M21-1MR and some were from the VA GC- I made sure within another matter that the VA General Counsel knew how blatantly the Buffalo VA has utterly disregarded their precedental opinions that I sent in with my claim. :)

• In Memoriam

I had the tube down my throat. It was exploration for the cause of Gerd. They found old ulcers and took a biopsy. They give you an amnesia drug so that you don't even remember any of the exploration. Right before you go under from the anesthesia they asked me if a student could sit in on the process. At this time I said no, just you that are authorized to work on me.

After they asked this question I was immediately out.

When I was becoming conscious I was aware of a person asking me questions. If I had it to do over I would have had someone I know attending my recovery from the anesthesia.

After the exploration I was given Ranatidine. This has helped.

I don't remember any pain what so ever, from the exploration. Get it done.

Someone had a post about this recently but I forget who and I found this decision at the BVA.

http://www.va.gov/vetapp06/files4/0623407.txt

The veteran's claim for SC of GERD due to meds prescribed for a SC knee condition in 1998 was denied.

The veteran's claim was again denied in 1993.He did not appeal.

The claim was re-opened due to new and material evidence-

In 1996- the veteran's diagnosis appeared for the first time in med recs as stomach discomfort and refluex diagnosed as dyspepsia.

In 1998 an upper GI series revealed GERD and a haital hernia. The veteran had been taking NSAIDs for a SC low back pain condition which were discontinued in 1997 due to the GERD distress.

"The examiner noted that the most important aggravating factor of his GERD and hernia was NSAID use."

"Order :

The claim for service connection for a gastrointestinal disability is reopened.

Service connection for a gastrointestinal disability is granted."

Berta, this is my case you are relating to. I just want to take a moment to thank you for you proficiency and how knowledgeable and fast you are.

and for you Rentalguy and to all of our fellows Hadit member's, NSAID can also damage your liver so be-careful about this matter.

Rentalguy it took 8 yr's to get this issue resolved. so it takes time, also there are many more BVA cased that you can get more information.

My GI current percentage for my GI disorder is 30% recently granted by the AMC in 2007, my friends and this is not considering other condition related as IBS, constipations and hemorrhoid as a result of my in service r.knee reconstruction surgery back in 1988.

• HadIt.com Elder

There is a doctor here in my town that specializes in doing this procedure. I think I may go talk to him about it. My GERD is under control via prilosec but VA has given me drugs that do make it worse. You know even anxiety drugs that relax you can cause reflux. Then of coures coffee, tea, alcohol, chocolote also make it worse. The VA is giving me Salsalate 750mg and I bet that is making it worse. When should you get concerned with GERD if your symptoms are under control for the most part? Should you get the tube down the throat just to be on the safe side?

• HadIt.com Elder

the real bear here is that GERD can lead to esophogeal cancer, which is very deadly. If they continue to deny you SC for GERD, and you develop cancer and die a year later, then your family loses out on a lot of benefits. This one is worth fighting for anyone who has what they feel is SC GERD.

Guest maddog66

rentalguy is on spot with his remarks. I just completed my last ablation therapy last week to attempt to mitigate the damage to my esophagus due to Barrett's disease which is a result of GERD. This condition is serious and can indeed lead to death if not addressed. BTW I was awarded SC and 10% in November.