Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nsiads And Gerd

Rate this question

Berta

Question

Someone had a post about this recently but I forget who and I found this decision at the BVA.

http://www.va.gov/vetapp06/files4/0623407.txt

The veteran's claim for SC of GERD due to meds prescribed for a SC knee condition in 1998 was denied.

The veteran's claim was again denied in 1993.He did not appeal.

The claim was re-opened due to new and material evidence-

In 1996- the veteran's diagnosis appeared for the first time in med recs as stomach discomfort and refluex diagnosed as dyspepsia.

In 1998 an upper GI series revealed GERD and a haital hernia. The veteran had been taking NSAIDs for a SC low back pain condition which were discontinued in 1997 due to the GERD distress.

"The examiner noted that the most important aggravating factor of his GERD and hernia was NSAID use."

"Order :

The claim for service connection for a gastrointestinal disability is reopened.

Service connection for a gastrointestinal disability is granted."

• Answers 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Yellownumber 5

While I was going thru my claim for GERDs I was told by my Dr. that the GERDs can be caused by two things, one is a bacteria the other can be something like Nsaid.

To win the claim I have to prove 2 things : 1, I had Gerds and 2, I had to prove that Nsaid was causing the problems.

The scope I took proved 2 things, I had GERDs and that there were no Germs (bacteria). Since the medical procedure left no other explaination to the cause of GERDs the Dr. ____could say,___ ' more likely than not ' the GERD was due to the Nsaid.

If you do not have a Dr that is willing to support your claim, then you should find a Dr. that will. You will have to give him a medical base to work from. You might want to consider taking the scope procedure if you can. It will give your Dr. evidence he will need.

If you have GERDs and you are taking Nsaid due to Service connected injury and there is no evidence of bacteria, then you have a case.

At least this is the way I see it with hindsight.

of course this is just my humble opinion....

good luck

I'm balancing on the fence. I take 1000mg Naproxyn Sodium a day among other meds. My records repeatedly state "probable gerd." Unfortunately, my main area for which I take this med are my knees, which are not yet sc.

So no connexion for gerd.

But I'm going to a dro hearing next month with an IMO that says "more likely than not" for connexion. If I should rate connexion, that would go back to 2004. Would my knees then be considered sc for the period I've taken this med?

as far as testing goes, all they've done to date is the (yecchhh) Barium drink. <_<

3 years,

Yes fully agree and I am rated for GERD. I just find the humor of the VA not giving a damn and some of the so called "Advocates" on these websites jumping to opinions when they do not know the full details of something..........but there are many saying of "opinions". You find there are many older "advocates" that just get up set when they learn of others getting disability for certain things. TISK TISK and CHEERS no tears in my beer.

If anyone has GERD and the VA trys to give you NSAIDS you have to balance it..........it you keep throwing up then you need to see a Gastro and tell them this is what the VA is doing to you even though you've told them you have GERD or you end up with BE and then Cancer.

Good Luck,

Yellownumber 5

While I was going thru my claim for GERDs I was told by my Dr. that the GERDs can be caused by two things, one is a bacteria the other can be something like Nsaid.

To win the claim I have to prove 2 things : 1, I had Gerds and 2, I had to prove that Nsaid was causing the problems.

The scope I took proved 2 things, I had GERDs and that there were no Germs (bacteria). Since the medical procedure left no other explaination to the cause of GERDs the Dr. ____could say,___ ' more likely than not ' the GERD was due to the Nsaid.

If you do not have a Dr that is willing to support your claim, then you should find a Dr. that will. You will have to give him a medical base to work from. You might want to consider taking the scope procedure if you can. It will give your Dr. evidence he will need.

If you have GERDs and you are taking Nsaid due to Service connected injury and there is no evidence of bacteria, then you have a case.

good luck

3 years,

Yes fully agree and I am rated for GERD. I just find the humor of the VA not giving a damn and some of the so called "Advocates" on these websites jumping to their conclusions when they do not know the facts. Opinions are like @##Holes We all have them. I find there are many older so called "advocates" that just get up set when they learn of others getting disability for certain things. They seem to think if you were not in Vietnam, a POW, WWII or something else you DO NOT deserve any compensation for your D*I*S*A*B*L*T*Y

TISK TISK and CHEERS no tears in my beer.

If anyone has GERD and the VA trys to give you NSAIDS you have to balance it..........it you keep throwing up then you need to see a Gastro and tell them this is what the VA is doing to you even though you've told them you have GERD or you end up with BE and then Cancer.

Good Luck,

Yellownumber 5

good luck

Edited by yelloownumber5

Well I got my approval in the mail. I am now at 50 %. The most important part of the deal is that, now I will not get any bills for my medical needs. That in itself was worth the two years it took to get my Gerds approved.

I want to thank everyone for all of their help and encouragement. Especially MS. Berta. With out everyone's advise I know that I would still be out there wondering what I could do to get the VA to recognize my claim.

I have tried to put all of the steps of my claim and all of the correspondences with the VA on this site so others might be help. If it helps someone then that is good.

I am now retired and enjoy sitting at the house with my wife and son. I hope to live a long life and wait on those monthly checks.

Peace