Ads Keep HadIt.com Online. Consider Turning Off Ad Blockers to Keep HadIt.com Online! ×

Reevaluation--ptsd--100%iu

tanker31

Question

I am new to hadit, but have been visiting the site for a few weeks now. Hope I am posting properly. Here Is the condenced verson. After many years of refusing to acknoledge my PTSD symptons, I decided to contact the VA. I applied for service connected disabilities for PTSD, Hearing loss, and Tinnitus on Jan.10,05. On August 26, 05 I was awarded S.C disability for PTSD ( 50% ), and Tinnitus ( 10% ). Total disability rating by VA @ 60%. Since I have not been able to hold a job for any length of time due to PTSD, and had been unemployeed for over a year, I filed and completed forms 21-4192, and 21-8940. On October 28, 2005 I received notification stating " WE GRANTED ENTITLEMENT TO THE 100% RATE EFFECTIVE JAN. 10, 05 BECAUES ARE UNABLE TO WORK DUE TOYOR SERVICE CONNECTED DISABILITY/DISABILITIES". " AN EXAMINATION WILL BE SCHEDULED AT A FUTURE DATE TO EVALUATE THE SEVERITY OF YOUR DISABILITY/DISABILITIES AS YOR CONDITION MAY CHANGE". I checked with the DVA, and it shows that I am scheduled for reevaluation exam for July 06. I am already freeking out. Providing the stressor information/evidence was extreemly upsetting and painful, as was the C&P exam. Can anything be done to prevent going through this experience again? Can I get to perminate and total prior to the reevaluation? Does age play a factor?( I will be 57 by the next reevaluation) Need suggestions.

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

18 answers to this question

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do to get rid of the appointment and, believe me, I know how you feel about future exams. Age can effect your rating and may help you get P&T on your next evaluation, but you will still need to attend the one scheduled for you '06.

The only thing I can suggest is that you start seeing a civilian psychiatrist, even if it is out of pocket costs. You can submit your civilian doctor's evaluation in place of the C&P provided it is at least as complete as a C&P would be. Also, the VA looks favorably on treating doctor's opinions over one time C&Ps. The advantage of a civilian doctor is that you can shop around for one that you feel best represents your claim and you can work with the doctor in presenting a solid evaluation when the time comes (IE - read over the evaluation first and suggest corrections BEFORE you give it to the RO).

As long as your civilian doctor says you have not improved and that you are still unemployable, there is almost nothing the RO can do to lower you.

P.S. - It is still difficult for the RO to lower your rating even if you do not get a civilian doctor. In essence, if you do NOT work between now and your next C&P they cannot lower your rating unless you make it painfully clear that you are much better and capable of working. The regulations that govern TDIU specify that they must prove that you are able to work "under normal life conditions"...this means that you must prove you can work (IE - if you're not working how can they prove you can work?) WITHOUT the need of medications or therapy (IE - normal life conditions).

I know it's hard to face and no one can gurantee your rating, but you are fairly safe with a TDIU for the reasons I mentioned above (it's actually better then a 100% scheduler rating in most cases).

P.P.S. - It is also wise, in my opinion, to ask for an increase when you go for your next C&P. Present a solid case for an increase and the RO will be more willing to "settle" on the old rating. Essentially, you put them on the defensive when you ask for an increase and divert attention from your existing claim.

Edited by Jay Johnson

• HadIt.com Elder
I am new to hadit, but have been visiting the site for a few weeks now. Hope I am posting properly. Here Is the condenced verson. After many years of refusing to acknoledge my PTSD symptons, I decided to contact the VA. I applied for service connected disabilities for PTSD, Hearing loss, and Tinnitus on Jan.10,05. On August 26, 05 I was awarded S.C disability for PTSD ( 50% ), and Tinnitus ( 10% ). Total disability rating by VA @ 60%. Since I have not been able to hold a job for any length of time due to PTSD, and had been unemployeed for over a year, I filed and completed forms 21-4192, and 21-8940. On October 28, 2005 I received notification stating " WE GRANTED ENTITLEMENT TO THE 100% RATE EFFECTIVE JAN. 10, 05 BECAUES ARE UNABLE TO WORK DUE TOYOR SERVICE CONNECTED DISABILITY/DISABILITIES". " AN EXAMINATION WILL BE SCHEDULED AT A FUTURE DATE TO EVALUATE THE SEVERITY OF YOUR DISABILITY/DISABILITIES AS YOR CONDITION MAY CHANGE". I checked with the DVA, and it shows that I am scheduled for reevaluation exam for July 06. I am already freeking out. Providing the stressor information/evidence was extreemly upsetting and painful, as was the C&P exam. Can anything be done to prevent going through this experience again? Can I get to perminate and total prior to the reevaluation? Does age play a factor?( I will be 57 by the next reevaluation) Need suggestions.

Tanker, Keep in mind that a VA re-Examination is NOT a VARO re-Adjudication. In other words, it's a single trip to the VAMC for a mental staus exam and a few questions about your current level of impairment (better, worse, same). If you are not working, and your mental staus is the same, they can not reduce your TDIU. See your shrink regularly, take your meds, etc. If your condition worsens, have your doctor write you a letter. Don't STRESS this so soon, try to put it out of your mind at least until a week prior to your exam - - if they even remember to call you. Piss on it. My 2 cents.

I was informed, several months ago, that I needed, to go to Behavioral health, for a review. It was implied, that I REALLY, needed to make this appt. That appt was several weeks, ago. About 15 of us showed up.( I thought I would be the only one there). IT WAS a mixed group, a little over half of us were Viet Vets, 4 women vets, the rest gulf war 1 and 2. We where all 100% PTSD. They gave us several questionars, most of you know the type, fill-in the blanks and a few small areas to write-in whatever. The doc's PHD +types,where less than impressive. That addressed our group, all in thier late 20's. Not a real life experence,in the group. I've ran into these kind of people for years. Normally, they refer me to somewhere else. Just to hand me off, to some other office. I even had one on piss his pants, once. But that's a different story for another time.

To get back on topic, after the meeting, Most of us went outside to have a smoke. That's where the real stuff always seems, to come up. Most of us had been very worried about this meeting. We where all aware of this PTSD review crap. Most of us had lost sleep over it and where reliving the same old shit again. We should have exchanged names and phone numbers, but you know how us vets are , we didn't.

That afternoon, I recieve a phone call from one of the PHD's. Wanted to make sure, I was'nt going to hurt myself or some else.(CYA) Then she told me she going to talk to my primary Doc and discuss, my meds. Plus she told me I would be sent a number of Appts. The next one is on 6 Dec. 05. (on wed of last week I recieved a number of appt by letter.) 4 of them for now. As things progress, I will keep you updated, if it starts to turn to shit. My gut says that they will, but then I failed mind reading and rest of those classes.

Oh yeah, was going to say something about who gave her the right to to discuss my meds with my doc.

I'll leave that for another day.

Larry Jones, 100% SC PTSD.

Tanker, Keep in mind that a VA re-Examination is NOT a VARO re-Adjudication. In other words, it's a single trip to the VAMC for a mental staus exam and a few questions about your current level of impairment (better, worse, same). If you are not working, and your mental staus is the same, they can not reduce your TDIU. See your shrink regularly, take your meds, etc. If your condition worsens, have your doctor write you a letter. Don't STRESS this so soon, try to put it out of your mind at least until a week prior to your exam - - if they even remember to call you. Piss on it. My 2 cents.

Wings, Makes sense---re-Eximation, not re-Adjudication. Will cotinue to take my meds., and show up at my scheduled appointmens with the shrink at the VA Med. Center. ( very few and months in between). Had been going to VET CENTER on voluntary bases, stopped going couldn't handle the drive and stress before, during and after meeting with the counselor. Would also add to my depression for days after. My DVA contact advised me to stop seeing her if it was volunary ( which it was ), did not seem to be helping ( which it wasn't)

and also advied to stay away from situtations which were voluntary, not helping, and records being kept that the VA would have acess to. Good advise??

Thanks

• HadIt.com Elder
Wings, Makes sense---re-Eximation, not re-Adjudication. Will cotinue to take my meds., and show up at my scheduled appointmens with the shrink at the VA Med. Center. ( very few and months in between). Had been going to VET CENTER on voluntary bases, stopped going couldn't handle the drive and stress before, during and after meeting with the counselor. Would also add to my depression for days after. My DVA contact advised me to stop seeing her if it was volunary ( which it was ), did not seem to be helping ( which it wasn't)

and also advied to stay away from situtations which were voluntary, not helping, and records being kept that the VA would have acess to. Good advise??

Thanks

100% PTSD Vets should have "therapy", but maybe think outside the box on that concept. In other words, gardening for me works really well: I don't have to talk issues with anybody but the peas and carrotts and they understand everything I'm thinking - know what I'm sayin ;-) Some folks get real lucky with a shrink; some of them have even been there, done that. The good one's just wanna talk peas and carrots too, talk about the weather and what not. Those folks I like. I can trust the few that really mean well and want to see me happy, and deserving of some rest and peace of mind. Few and far between. I need to pick up my meds tomorrow from the local clinic: precribed by a Nurse Practioner. Civilian type person - - but that's because the VAMC is MILES away from my front door. Keep a paper trail of your medical appontments, and keep it short and sweet! Do somethin that makes you forget yourself and your worries - - it will help you and your loved ones. Tell them what you do for "therapy" - - but don't agree to meet them at the Country Club for social hour, and never beat them at their game of golf; if you make them jealous, they just might tweak your meds something bad . . . heehee, just me being silly tonight. If you want to volunteer for something, you can always volunteer to help others less fortunate: drive the van, deliver groceries, etc. Take good care!

• HadIt.com Elder
I was informed, several months ago, that I needed, to go to Behavioral health, for a review. It was implied, that I REALLY, needed to make this appt. That appt was several weeks, ago. About 15 of us showed up.( I thought I would be the only one there). IT WAS a mixed group, a little over half of us were Viet Vets, 4 women vets, the rest gulf war 1 and 2. We where all 100% PTSD. They gave us several questionars, most of you know the type, fill-in the blanks and a few small areas to write-in whatever. The doc's PHD +types,where less than impressive. That addressed our group, all in thier late 20's. Not a real life experence,in the group. I've ran into these kind of people for years. Normally, they refer me to somewhere else. Just to hand me off, to some other office. I even had one on piss his pants, once. But that's a different story for another time.

To get back on topic, after the meeting, Most of us went outside to have a smoke. That's where the real stuff always seems, to come up. Most of us had been very worried about this meeting. We where all aware of this PTSD review crap. Most of us had lost sleep over it and where reliving the same old shit again. We should have exchanged names and phone numbers, but you know how us vets are , we didn't.

That afternoon, I recieve a phone call from one of the PHD's. Wanted to make sure, I was'nt going to hurt myself or some else.(CYA) Then she told me she going to talk to my primary Doc and discuss, my meds. Plus she told me I would be sent a number of Appts. The next one is on 6 Dec. 05. (on wed of last week I recieved a number of appt by letter.) 4 of them for now. As things progress, I will keep you updated, if it starts to turn to shit. My gut says that they will, but then I failed mind reading and rest of those classes.

Oh yeah, was going to say something about who gave her the right to to discuss my meds with my doc.

I'll leave that for another day.

Larry Jones, 100% SC PTSD.

Larry, Hope that you guys are all gonna have each other to talk with on smoke breaks 'cause I would be worried too! Are you going to continue this "review" as a group - or individually? It might be a good idea to take names and numbers, especially on the interns! I would be PISSED OFF that Ms. PHD has failed her "Privacy Act" class. She gets an F in my opinion. Sheesh! Keep us posted, please.

• HadIt.com Elder

I am also 100% and have had an Appointment made for me absent any imput from me just that I needed to see someone. Its scheduled for early January.

Like Larry I don't have a high opinion for 20 somethings who are clueless about my problems.

I had the same thing awarded 70% and IU March 2004 applied for DRO and Oct of 2005 granted PT with no furture exams the way they worded it sounds like i was granted PT due to 5 years of seeing doctors at VA without any changes.. go to the one on one meetings only 2 times a month one hour a session anyway it really helped me talking to someone who was there in nam as a nurse

I will try to keep you all current, as things develope. Just don't want to bore anyone or cause any un-nessary concerns. A lot of us are getting closer and closer to that certain edge, again.

In my case (please don't hit me over head on this point), getting my 100% brought me a cetain, amount of peace. It was like removing 80 lbs of shit, from a 100 lb back pack. The problem is, in a very short time, that pack can be refilled.

Let me explain, I can see it, in the posts, a lot of us are starting to refill those sand bags again. I spend way to much time on this site, even though I don't post offen. This site offers me a lot of refuge and hope. Even when we're fighting among our selves. Hey, that hows people that care works things out. I've been very lucky in one regard. Married to same LADY for almost 39 years. At some point around year 5 or 6, it became a who dies frist wins. At the 26th year, it all changed. Now, my biggest conern is our marriage is not going to last long enough. Her health is failing, and she's got PTSD from the service worst than I do.

But her's goes untreated. Denial.

Damn, where is the spell check.

Larry Jones 100% SC PTSD

Hi Tanker31, Would you mind sharing with me your experience from the day you filed til the day you got your ratings? My ptsd claim is a year and a half with no end in sight--thanks. Pete Vietnam 11B

Hi Tanker31, Would you mind sharing with me your experience from the day you filed til the day you got your ratings? My ptsd claim is a year and a half with no end in sight--thanks. Pete Vietnam 11B

Peter,

Would be glad to share; Basicly, I did my homework--found out what was required in terms of documentation, evidence, and regulations. I did not submit anything untill my "package" was complete ( perhaps this caused me to have a later effective date, but felt the trade off of being sent denials and then filing to have denials overturned worked better for me). I would just as soon get it right the first time, as opposed to stressing myself out with re-submit/do over and waiting. A good offense rather than a good defense. I also was very demanding with my primary doctor. I insisted on him setting appts. with Mental Health. Every time I saw a new face, I would give them a copy of my " package " and insisted that they read it. I hade 2 GREAT service officers at the D.A.V. They new their jobs and were always positive. ( I had 2 because the first one transfered--fortunate to get a good 2nd. one ). I made my feelings known from the begining with the D.A.V. that I could not handle having who was ever available that day to answer concerns when I had some. I ALWAYS either waited for MY service officer, or I came back when he was on duty. They became familiar with me and my claim that way. I was not just some unknown body. Went to 1 DR. Assistant interview.2 shrink exams, and C&P. Presented my package, told the truth--got my service connected disability award letter ( 60% total ), went to my DAV officers, submitted the forms to upgrade to 100%. 100% awarded due to unemployability approx. 60 days latter.

The hardest part is putting the package together. Although I have Purple Hart, I still filed a stressor letter with back up, including duty logs,maps, after actions reports, letter from my Plt. Leader, copy of combat awards, report from social security department showing 31 job changes from 1970 to 2004 ( do not be afraid of this report, although it showed that when I work, I make big money, it also showed I couldn't keep a job) I also provided them with names of people who I kicked the shit out of on the job and people who had witnessed the incidents. Truth is the truth--I've had to deal with it for 34 years now, so I decided to no longer deny, but to let the VA deal with it and me.

If you have a specific question--let me know. I will answer to the best of my ability. I am not an expert, but will due my best. Good luck ,

tanker31

Tanker- If I were you I would not worry one bit about the C & P-set for 2006-it wont be what you think- I just wish vets didn't have to go through this stuff once they are granted TDIU.

Have you applied for Social Security disability?

It might be worth your while to consider getting an independent medical opinion- costly but-

if a real private shrink doctor says you are P & T, you could submit it to VARO before that C & P in 2006-they could award the P & T or - if they dont prior to the next C & P -I would suggest bringing that opinion with you- to that C & P .

You were very proactive in your claim and this is exactly what it takes.

I like your spirit and see that your learned behavior helps you to anticipate what the enemy will do next-

not that VA is an enemy- but it is just the way we have to look at our claims sometimes-with a war plan in mind and awareness of the potential gaps and surfaces.

• HadIt.com Elder

Tanker

If you have been TDIU for at least one year that should be enough for P&T especially since you are a RVN vet. It is hard for us 50 something guys just to start over and get decent employment and the VA seems to understand this to an extent. I got P&T after a year of IU but I had to badger them about it with evidence and an IMO.

Hi Tanker, thanks for the reply. Our stories are similar-me, 27 jobs, purple heart, verifiable stressor letters, etc. What is a great idea, and I didn't do, is using Social Sec. records for proof of all the jobs. How did your ptsd c&p go? Mine wrote me up as ptsd, mdd, angry, a loner, etc. and then gave me a GAF of 69. Pete

Comrades,

I had my re-eval C&P for PTSD last Tuesday.

I'm currently TDIU with P&T.

Since I still Have a claim in for an earlier effective date for the PTSD and several other similar issues I was stressing out rather badly before the exam.

I figure the RO, they scheduled the C&P, is looking for another report that they can re-write to suit their latest round of hell for me.

You know, fraud-give the money back and go to jail.

While this could still be the case, the C&P examiner was more optimistic.

He said that he had never met any vet who had lost or had their ratings reduced as the result of a re-evaluation C&P for PTSD.

Actually, he has never known of any vet who has lost anything after the original PTSD award.

He does about 10 examinations a day for the C&P service.

Been doing this for 6 years that I am aware of.

My PTSD award with TDIU and P&T was not granted by the RO.

Washington granted the claim after a short review.

I figure the RO is pissed-off at ME after holding me off for 25 years just to have Washington shove my grant down their collective throats.

Certain vets are singled out by their RO AND the vet's paid-for, Congressionally chartered and sponsored national representative to NOT EVER receive their earned disability benefits.

I'm one.

The RO has absolutely nothing to lose by messing with me.

I await the results.

sledge

• HadIt.com Elder

Tom

If you are P&T for PTSD I don't understand how the VA could re-evaluate you for PTST. What was the basis for the re-evaluation. I am TDIU P&T and I sure hope I don't get any sort of re-evaluation.

• HadIt.com Elder
Comrades,

I had my re-eval C&P for PTSD last Tuesday.

I'm currently TDIU with P&T.

Since I still Have a claim in for an earlier effective date for the PTSD and several other similar issues I was stressing out rather badly before the exam.

I figure the RO, they scheduled the C&P, is looking for another report that they can re-write to suit their latest round of hell for me.

You know, fraud-give the money back and go to jail.

While this could still be the case, the C&P examiner was more optimistic.

He said that he had never met any vet who had lost or had their ratings reduced as the result of a re-evaluation C&P for PTSD.

Actually, he has never known of any vet who has lost anything after the original PTSD award.

He does about 10 examinations a day for the C&P service.

Been doing this for 6 years that I am aware of.

My PTSD award with TDIU and P&T was not granted by the RO.

Washington granted the claim after a short review.

I figure the RO is pissed-off at ME after holding me off for 25 years just to have Washington shove my grant down their collective throats.

Certain vets are singled out by their RO AND the vet's paid-for, Congressionally chartered and sponsored national representative to NOT EVER receive their earned disability benefits.

I'm one.

The RO has absolutely nothing to lose by messing with me.

I await the results.

sledge

Sledge, This is real good news for you! I was awarded 100% TDIU/PTSD in 1999. I filed for an earlier effective date 18 months ago. RO denied and I appealed with an NOD. Haven't heard anything in 9 months. Will prolly be issued another C&P Exam as well. My armor is soooo heavy: no rest for the weary?! Happy Holidays! ~Wings

Edited by Wings

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do to get rid of the appointment and, believe me, I know how you feel about future exams. Age can effect your rating and may help you get P&T on your next evaluation, but you will still need to attend the one scheduled for you '06.

The only thing I can suggest is that you start seeing a civilian psychiatrist, even if it is out of pocket costs. You can submit your civilian doctor's evaluation in place of the C&P provided it is at least as complete as a C&P would be. Also, the VA looks favorably on treating doctor's opinions over one time C&Ps. The advantage of a civilian doctor is that you can shop around for one that you feel best represents your claim and you can work with the doctor in presenting a solid evaluation when the time comes (IE - read over the evaluation first and suggest corrections BEFORE you give it to the RO).

As long as your civilian doctor says you have not improved and that you are still unemployable, there is almost nothing the RO can do to lower you.

P.S. - It is still difficult for the RO to lower your rating even if you do not get a civilian doctor. In essence, if you do NOT work between now and your next C&P they cannot lower your rating unless you make it painfully clear that you are much better and capable of working. The regulations that govern TDIU specify that they must prove that you are able to work "under normal life conditions"...this means that you must prove you can work (IE - if you're not working how can they prove you can work?) WITHOUT the need of medications or therapy (IE - normal life conditions).

I know it's hard to face and no one can gurantee your rating, but you are fairly safe with a TDIU for the reasons I mentioned above (it's actually better then a 100% scheduler rating in most cases).

P.P.S. - It is also wise, in my opinion, to ask for an increase when you go for your next C&P. Present a solid case for an increase and the RO will be more willing to "settle" on the old rating. Essentially, you put them on the defensive when you ask for an increase and divert attention from your existing claim.

Jay,

Thanks for your response. One question regarding the " P.P.S. ". You state "ask for an increase when you go for your next C&P. Present a solid case etc... ". Are you saying ask for the increase VERBABLY during the reevaluation and state your case VERBABLY? or is there a form to submitt at that time? Have you actualy done this?

Thanks,

Tanker 31