VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Reevaluation--ptsd--100%iu

Rate this question

tanker31

Question

I am new to hadit, but have been visiting the site for a few weeks now. Hope I am posting properly. Here Is the condenced verson. After many years of refusing to acknoledge my PTSD symptons, I decided to contact the VA. I applied for service connected disabilities for PTSD, Hearing loss, and Tinnitus on Jan.10,05. On August 26, 05 I was awarded S.C disability for PTSD ( 50% ), and Tinnitus ( 10% ). Total disability rating by VA @ 60%. Since I have not been able to hold a job for any length of time due to PTSD, and had been unemployeed for over a year, I filed and completed forms 21-4192, and 21-8940. On October 28, 2005 I received notification stating " WE GRANTED ENTITLEMENT TO THE 100% RATE EFFECTIVE JAN. 10, 05 BECAUES ARE UNABLE TO WORK DUE TOYOR SERVICE CONNECTED DISABILITY/DISABILITIES". " AN EXAMINATION WILL BE SCHEDULED AT A FUTURE DATE TO EVALUATE THE SEVERITY OF YOUR DISABILITY/DISABILITIES AS YOR CONDITION MAY CHANGE". I checked with the DVA, and it shows that I am scheduled for reevaluation exam for July 06. I am already freeking out. Providing the stressor information/evidence was extreemly upsetting and painful, as was the C&P exam. Can anything be done to prevent going through this experience again? Can I get to perminate and total prior to the reevaluation? Does age play a factor?( I will be 57 by the next reevaluation) Need suggestions.

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do to get rid of the appointment and, believe me, I know how you feel about future exams. Age can effect your rating and may help you get P&T on your next evaluation, but you will still need to attend the one scheduled for you '06.

The only thing I can suggest is that you start seeing a civilian psychiatrist, even if it is out of pocket costs. You can submit your civilian doctor's evaluation in place of the C&P provided it is at least as complete as a C&P would be. Also, the VA looks favorably on treating doctor's opinions over one time C&Ps. The advantage of a civilian doctor is that you can shop around for one that you feel best represents your claim and you can work with the doctor in presenting a solid evaluation when the time comes (IE - read over the evaluation first and suggest corrections BEFORE you give it to the RO).

As long as your civilian doctor says you have not improved and that you are still unemployable, there is almost nothing the RO can do to lower you.

P.S. - It is still difficult for the RO to lower your rating even if you do not get a civilian doctor. In essence, if you do NOT work between now and your next C&P they cannot lower your rating unless you make it painfully clear that you are much better and capable of working. The regulations that govern TDIU specify that they must prove that you are able to work "under normal life conditions"...this means that you must prove you can work (IE - if you're not working how can they prove you can work?) WITHOUT the need of medications or therapy (IE - normal life conditions).

I know it's hard to face and no one can gurantee your rating, but you are fairly safe with a TDIU for the reasons I mentioned above (it's actually better then a 100% scheduler rating in most cases).

P.P.S. - It is also wise, in my opinion, to ask for an increase when you go for your next C&P. Present a solid case for an increase and the RO will be more willing to "settle" on the old rating. Essentially, you put them on the defensive when you ask for an increase and divert attention from your existing claim.

Edited by Jay Johnson

• HadIt.com Elder
I am new to hadit, but have been visiting the site for a few weeks now. Hope I am posting properly. Here Is the condenced verson. After many years of refusing to acknoledge my PTSD symptons, I decided to contact the VA. I applied for service connected disabilities for PTSD, Hearing loss, and Tinnitus on Jan.10,05. On August 26, 05 I was awarded S.C disability for PTSD ( 50% ), and Tinnitus ( 10% ). Total disability rating by VA @ 60%. Since I have not been able to hold a job for any length of time due to PTSD, and had been unemployeed for over a year, I filed and completed forms 21-4192, and 21-8940. On October 28, 2005 I received notification stating " WE GRANTED ENTITLEMENT TO THE 100% RATE EFFECTIVE JAN. 10, 05 BECAUES ARE UNABLE TO WORK DUE TOYOR SERVICE CONNECTED DISABILITY/DISABILITIES". " AN EXAMINATION WILL BE SCHEDULED AT A FUTURE DATE TO EVALUATE THE SEVERITY OF YOUR DISABILITY/DISABILITIES AS YOR CONDITION MAY CHANGE". I checked with the DVA, and it shows that I am scheduled for reevaluation exam for July 06. I am already freeking out. Providing the stressor information/evidence was extreemly upsetting and painful, as was the C&P exam. Can anything be done to prevent going through this experience again? Can I get to perminate and total prior to the reevaluation? Does age play a factor?( I will be 57 by the next reevaluation) Need suggestions.

Tanker, Keep in mind that a VA re-Examination is NOT a VARO re-Adjudication. In other words, it's a single trip to the VAMC for a mental staus exam and a few questions about your current level of impairment (better, worse, same). If you are not working, and your mental staus is the same, they can not reduce your TDIU. See your shrink regularly, take your meds, etc. If your condition worsens, have your doctor write you a letter. Don't STRESS this so soon, try to put it out of your mind at least until a week prior to your exam - - if they even remember to call you. Piss on it. My 2 cents.

I was informed, several months ago, that I needed, to go to Behavioral health, for a review. It was implied, that I REALLY, needed to make this appt. That appt was several weeks, ago. About 15 of us showed up.( I thought I would be the only one there). IT WAS a mixed group, a little over half of us were Viet Vets, 4 women vets, the rest gulf war 1 and 2. We where all 100% PTSD. They gave us several questionars, most of you know the type, fill-in the blanks and a few small areas to write-in whatever. The doc's PHD +types,where less than impressive. That addressed our group, all in thier late 20's. Not a real life experence,in the group. I've ran into these kind of people for years. Normally, they refer me to somewhere else. Just to hand me off, to some other office. I even had one on piss his pants, once. But that's a different story for another time.

To get back on topic, after the meeting, Most of us went outside to have a smoke. That's where the real stuff always seems, to come up. Most of us had been very worried about this meeting. We where all aware of this PTSD review crap. Most of us had lost sleep over it and where reliving the same old shit again. We should have exchanged names and phone numbers, but you know how us vets are , we didn't.

That afternoon, I recieve a phone call from one of the PHD's. Wanted to make sure, I was'nt going to hurt myself or some else.(CYA) Then she told me she going to talk to my primary Doc and discuss, my meds. Plus she told me I would be sent a number of Appts. The next one is on 6 Dec. 05. (on wed of last week I recieved a number of appt by letter.) 4 of them for now. As things progress, I will keep you updated, if it starts to turn to shit. My gut says that they will, but then I failed mind reading and rest of those classes.

Oh yeah, was going to say something about who gave her the right to to discuss my meds with my doc.

I'll leave that for another day.

Larry Jones, 100% SC PTSD.

Tanker, Keep in mind that a VA re-Examination is NOT a VARO re-Adjudication. In other words, it's a single trip to the VAMC for a mental staus exam and a few questions about your current level of impairment (better, worse, same). If you are not working, and your mental staus is the same, they can not reduce your TDIU. See your shrink regularly, take your meds, etc. If your condition worsens, have your doctor write you a letter. Don't STRESS this so soon, try to put it out of your mind at least until a week prior to your exam - - if they even remember to call you. Piss on it. My 2 cents.

Wings, Makes sense---re-Eximation, not re-Adjudication. Will cotinue to take my meds., and show up at my scheduled appointmens with the shrink at the VA Med. Center. ( very few and months in between). Had been going to VET CENTER on voluntary bases, stopped going couldn't handle the drive and stress before, during and after meeting with the counselor. Would also add to my depression for days after. My DVA contact advised me to stop seeing her if it was volunary ( which it was ), did not seem to be helping ( which it wasn't)

and also advied to stay away from situtations which were voluntary, not helping, and records being kept that the VA would have acess to. Good advise??

Thanks

• HadIt.com Elder
Wings, Makes sense---re-Eximation, not re-Adjudication. Will cotinue to take my meds., and show up at my scheduled appointmens with the shrink at the VA Med. Center. ( very few and months in between). Had been going to VET CENTER on voluntary bases, stopped going couldn't handle the drive and stress before, during and after meeting with the counselor. Would also add to my depression for days after. My DVA contact advised me to stop seeing her if it was volunary ( which it was ), did not seem to be helping ( which it wasn't)

and also advied to stay away from situtations which were voluntary, not helping, and records being kept that the VA would have acess to. Good advise??

Thanks

100% PTSD Vets should have "therapy", but maybe think outside the box on that concept. In other words, gardening for me works really well: I don't have to talk issues with anybody but the peas and carrotts and they understand everything I'm thinking - know what I'm sayin ;-) Some folks get real lucky with a shrink; some of them have even been there, done that. The good one's just wanna talk peas and carrots too, talk about the weather and what not. Those folks I like. I can trust the few that really mean well and want to see me happy, and deserving of some rest and peace of mind. Few and far between. I need to pick up my meds tomorrow from the local clinic: precribed by a Nurse Practioner. Civilian type person - - but that's because the VAMC is MILES away from my front door. Keep a paper trail of your medical appontments, and keep it short and sweet! Do somethin that makes you forget yourself and your worries - - it will help you and your loved ones. Tell them what you do for "therapy" - - but don't agree to meet them at the Country Club for social hour, and never beat them at their game of golf; if you make them jealous, they just might tweak your meds something bad . . . heehee, just me being silly tonight. If you want to volunteer for something, you can always volunteer to help others less fortunate: drive the van, deliver groceries, etc. Take good care!

• HadIt.com Elder
I was informed, several months ago, that I needed, to go to Behavioral health, for a review. It was implied, that I REALLY, needed to make this appt. That appt was several weeks, ago. About 15 of us showed up.( I thought I would be the only one there). IT WAS a mixed group, a little over half of us were Viet Vets, 4 women vets, the rest gulf war 1 and 2. We where all 100% PTSD. They gave us several questionars, most of you know the type, fill-in the blanks and a few small areas to write-in whatever. The doc's PHD +types,where less than impressive. That addressed our group, all in thier late 20's. Not a real life experence,in the group. I've ran into these kind of people for years. Normally, they refer me to somewhere else. Just to hand me off, to some other office. I even had one on piss his pants, once. But that's a different story for another time.

To get back on topic, after the meeting, Most of us went outside to have a smoke. That's where the real stuff always seems, to come up. Most of us had been very worried about this meeting. We where all aware of this PTSD review crap. Most of us had lost sleep over it and where reliving the same old shit again. We should have exchanged names and phone numbers, but you know how us vets are , we didn't.

That afternoon, I recieve a phone call from one of the PHD's. Wanted to make sure, I was'nt going to hurt myself or some else.(CYA) Then she told me she going to talk to my primary Doc and discuss, my meds. Plus she told me I would be sent a number of Appts. The next one is on 6 Dec. 05. (on wed of last week I recieved a number of appt by letter.) 4 of them for now. As things progress, I will keep you updated, if it starts to turn to shit. My gut says that they will, but then I failed mind reading and rest of those classes.

Oh yeah, was going to say something about who gave her the right to to discuss my meds with my doc.

I'll leave that for another day.

Larry Jones, 100% SC PTSD.

Larry, Hope that you guys are all gonna have each other to talk with on smoke breaks 'cause I would be worried too! Are you going to continue this "review" as a group - or individually? It might be a good idea to take names and numbers, especially on the interns! I would be PISSED OFF that Ms. PHD has failed her "Privacy Act" class. She gets an F in my opinion. Sheesh! Keep us posted, please.